Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know there have been other threads on brake pads, many of which I just read, but I want this thread dedicated to the 07-12 Nissin calipers and focusing ONLY on track use.

I have been running Vesrah sintered pads and OEM rotors on my 06 Tokico calipers and love them. However, I just snagged a set of 07 Nissin calipers and apparently the Vesrah sintered pads are not available for the 07-12 brakes? I do see another Vesrah pad available, the newer SRJL XX pad, but dont recognize these. Not to mention, they are about $100 per caliper!

So far the pads I am most strongly considering for my dedicated track bike are as follows:

Braking Sport Pads ($54 per caliper)
Braking Race Compound Pads ($74 per caliper)
EBC HH Sintered ($55 per caliper)
EBC Extreme Pro ($86 per caliper)
Galfer Sintered ($65 per caliper)
OEM ($51 per caliper)

Additional brands I have seen but am not familiar with are DP, SBS, and Bikemaster. Prices are all similar to the above.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Track rider feedback?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I run the Ferodo XRAC and I wanna say they were like $70/caliper. I am very happy with them and they've lasted a while. That was Tokico on my 05 and the oem calipers on my R6. Ive also had the EBC HH, which were decent and slightly better than OEM. Ive also run Galfer sintered which I felt werent as good as the EBC. Personally, I like the XRAC pads. Not super agressive on the initial bite but definitely have some power, especially when they heat up.

Reactions: Ebster1085

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Second vote for Ferrodo Xrac, I'm happy with it, but I want to try the CP1 as that is what is recommended for iron rotors.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Second vote for Ferrodo Xrac, I'm happy with it, but I want to try the CP1 as that is what is recommended for iron rotors.
Dude, I got to test out some of the BT Axis ductile iron rotors on my r6 and those were the shit! The only downside is that they rust.... Seriously though, those with the XRACs was perfect, controllable, linear, powerful one finger track bracking.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
BTW, I just looked and Indysuperbikes has them for the zx6rs for $66/caliper.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Thanks for the quick feedback, fellas. Ferrodo is yet another brand I am not familiar with but I will look into them now.

I guess it is important for me to note I am running OEM rotors which I will also add to my OP.
I ran them on my OEM rotors with no issues on two different bikes. I have been super happy with them and they seem to last quite well.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Dude, I got to test out some of the BT Axis ductile iron rotors on my r6 and those were the shit! The only downside is that they rust.... Seriously though, those with the XRACs was perfect, controllable, linear, powerful one finger track bracking.
Oh I love them, I try to tell people they are like no other set up I tried but nobody believes, atleast until they try it too lol.

The only reason I was considering the CP1 is that it is recommended to get better wear out of the rotor

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
You guys have any experience with their STAC pad? It looks like the STAC pad is track day oriented while the XRAC pad is slightly more aggressive and catering more to race use.

I am not currently racing but do plan to do one or two this year and it may become a more common thing as my lap times continue to improve.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Thanks for the quick feedback, fellas. Ferrodo is yet another brand I am not familiar with but I will look into them now.

I guess it is important for me to note I am running OEM rotors which I will also add to my OP.
Yeah you will not have an issue on OEM rotors they work with stainless and iron very well.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Ive never tried the STAC pad, honestly, so I can't say for sure, but I would imagine that it would be fine. I just like being able to one finger brake with decent modulation, and the XRAC provides that. I have friends on the R6 forum that use the STAC and say great things about it, but like I said, I have no personal experience with it.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got off the phone with my buddy from Riders Discount and he highly recommends the Carbone Lorraine CL C59 race pad which is about the same price ($130 for the set) on Sportbiketrackgear.com

I have read positive feedback regarding these pads on here before. Anyone currently running these?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Just got off the phone with my buddy from Riders Discount and he highly recommends the Carbone Lorraine CL C59 race pad which is about the same price ($130 for the set) on Sportbiketrackgear.com

I have read positive feedback regarding these pads on here before. Anyone currently running these?
The CL pads are also very good, but I just get a better deal on the XRACs than I do on the CL pads. I havent tried them but I know a few guys who run them even though they sport Galfer stickers as the local rep was sponsoring them Galfer pads and crap that they sold and ran the CLs. :laugh

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I'm pretty simple. I've used stock and EBC GPFA. The stock pads are actually really good, even for a fast pace.

I'm not on the GPFA's and dont have a single complaint.
-Cody

·
Registered
459 Posts
Galfer Race Sintered...used them on the 2013 ZX6R and 07 CBR 600RR. Great pad.....the Performance Friction .07 is another great pad that releases super smooth with a strong initial bite and LAST!

·
Registered
114 Posts
If its only track I recommend the SRJL-XX pad, Ive been using them and they are amazing. Very popular around the paddock with the club racers. From what I've been told they will last a season of racing. I've got 4 track days out of them so far no sign of them needing replacing any time soon.
I was using the EBC-HH pads when my zx was still a road/track bike. Were great on the road but found them terrible on the track.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I have ran the nissin '07 calipers with the stock radial MC, rotors and levers on my '06 10r since 2006 when finding out that the stock calipers sucked the hind tit.

I ran the SBS race 838 sintered for 6yrs track duty only. A nice cheap pad. Yes, I clean the pads, calipers , rotors and flush the system. RBF600 fluid. I did buy the SBS 848 RS for this yrs or maybe even sooner if I do not like them track time. $41.00 set, the excels are something like $38.00 set

I prefer a nice strong progressive bite, nothing harsh

edit: sbs race 838 pads

·
Registered
4,143 Posts

I have the CL pads that they speak of. Awesome pad for the price. I had their street/track HH equivalent and it was great as well.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If its only track I recommend the SRJL-XX pad, Ive been using them and they are amazing. Very popular around the paddock with the club racers.

I was using the EBC-HH pads when my zx was still a road/track bike. Were great on the road but found them terrible on the track.
I am sure the new Vesrah pads are as good if not better than the older RJL models which I do love, but hard to justify spending $200 on a set of pads. $130 for the CL's sounds like a much better deal and word on the street is they are as good if not better than Vesrah.

I have also been told by many people in the know that while the EBC pads are fine for street use, they simply arent up to snuff for track riding. Not to mention, from back in my car tuner days, we all knew EBC wasnt the best quality stuff. We all kinda considered it OEM replacement.

I have the CL pads that they speak of. Awesome pad for the price.
Always nice to see more positive feedback on these :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
anyone against running cheap pads in the rear? I hardly use the rear on track, only when im on the grass as i haven't attempted trail braking. But even then, do you really need great pads for that?

flame on

1 - 20 of 22 Posts