Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2006 zx6r and it rained the day i got it. It was sitting in the rain for two days. When i start the bike in a light shower, it started and right after i put gas on the throttle, it stalled and I can't get it started again afterward. I tried new battery, wasn't battery issue. The bike is not very well maintained at all when i got it. Gas in the tank is new. Is it spark plugs issue or water got into the intake when i start the bike in the rain? I don't even know where the spark plugs or the intake is on this bike.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I would expect electrical issue as opposed to water in the bike. I've ridden in the rain and never had rain get in the fuel or intake, though it's possible you have a leak somewhere.

First I'd try to dry it off and check connections on battery, all wiring, and see where that gets you.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Troy michigan?

Honestly there's too much to choose from.
When this happens to me, I start tearing down and looking for anything weird.

You could try simple things like check for corroded connectors, fuses, battery terminals, or blown fuses. Maybe check the battery.

Does it do anything when you turn the key on? Any fault codes?

Do some research, get your hands dirty, and post back with any clues you find. We'd love to help. Just need more to go on.

Good luck man!

·
Registered
8,727 Posts
What does it do when you turn on the key then hit the starter button?

do you hear the fuel pump prime?

does the engine just crank and crank and crank but not even attempt to fire? or does it spit and act like it wants to start but won't?

If it is that undermaintained and a wreck...... perhaps you should go through the entire thing and service it all and check everything over before putting your life in its hands and hoping for the best outcome....or at the least--having it strand you somewhere

pictures....we all like pictures

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was spit and act like it wants to start yesterday but won't fire and today the engine just crank and crank and crank but won't fire. there is also white smoke coming out of the exhaust when it crank. It might be water steam. I will drain the tank and tube to see if that fix the issue. Thank you for all the help! really appreciate it!

·
Registered
8,727 Posts
open the gas cap- shine a flashlight in there and look at the bottom of the tank---if there is water in the tank (enough to fill the pump cavity and a little more) it will be very obvious

but it certainly wouldn't hurt to pull the pump out and clean the pick up screen anyways.......here is one from a zx6r that didn't even have 10k on it yet

Attachments

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Report back and let us know what you find. Don't change too many variables at once. Drain tank first and let us know before you go to the next step (because we're curious).

Rain for days, white smoke (steam) and bike won't start sure sounds like water in the tank.

jimundascores

Edit: Didn't see Rivers' post. Listen to him first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is what i did: Drained the gas tank but i didn't see any water in the tank, at least nothing obvious on the fuel pump as the picture you posted. I unscrewed the bolt on the fuel injector and turn on the key, the gas coming out of the fuel injector doesn't look normal, it is darker than the normal gas you get from the gas station, it is more like brake fluid after 500 to 1k miles. Put in new gas (93#), keep doing that for about 7 or 8 times, the gas coming out of the injector looks a lot better. Put everthing back together, trying to start the bike again, it was a little bit diffcult at first (had to twist the throttle for a good amount of time), it fired and runs fine. I rode it multiple times today afterward, everthing is fine.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
open the gas cap- shine a flashlight in there and look at the bottom of the tank---if there is water in the tank (enough to fill the pump cavity and a little more) it will be very obvious

but it certainly wouldn't hurt to pull the pump out and clean the pick up screen anyways.......here is one from a zx6r that didn't even have 10k on it yet
What is that debris?

·
Registered
8,727 Posts
What is that debris?
I suspect it comes when you fill it up at the gas station (since this was still an oe painted tank in good condition)....looks mostly like white paint, but I have seen ants, wasps, sand, even leaf/grass debris in some of them I have taken apart, but mostly I find rust and paint....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts