Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the guy before installed hid both hi/low on the bike and while I know hid's look gaudy I just left them and cleaned up the wiring. after i cleaned up the wiring I tested them and they worked fine. I guess zx6r lights only work when bike is started, that took me a bit longer to figure out that id like to admit

But after put the fairings back on the headlight fuse popped. Heard it. So I Installed a new one and it pops again. I then disconnected power to the hids and disconnected both hi/low ballast. still pops. disconnected the gauge and same thing. The only way it doesnt pop is if I disconnect the main harness that goes to the headlight.

I have no idea what it could be, I though it could be the hid but their all disconnected and it pops as soon as I crank the motor on both hi low beam

Ive ran through almost all my fuses lol

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Screw it, just hardwire that sumbitch. Just kidding, but I'd check all of the wires to make sure there aren't any bare wires worn or exposed. That's just my $.02, but I'm sure there are other possibilities.

·
Registered
12,995 Posts
The power wire that goes to your low beam... check to make sure its not grounding out somewhere. And yes... the lights on a Kawi will only turn on after u try and crank the engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alright sucks
Gonna take the entire fairing off again and see where is shorting out. Crazy it was working fine

·
Registered
12,995 Posts
Tip: If you have a multimeter, set it to test continuity. Attach the mulitmeter lead to the neutral side of the fuse terminal for your headlight. Then move the wires around and see when it actually stops shorting out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
So random wire was causing short. guess its not needed. disconnected it and turned headlight on and nothing, hooked multimeter up to wires and the lights magically turned on and everything works now. weird

1 - 7 of 7 Posts