Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 06 zx6r with a full yoshi exhaust. I have had many issues over the years with it but this time i'm stumped. I went to start my bike to take it out for the first time this season and it wouldn't start. I replaced the battery which I figured would have been the issue and went to start it again. It makes a sound like it wants to start but it won't turn over. I have checked all the wiring, emptied the fuel put fresh fuel in replaced the spark plugs changed the battery checked all the fuses checked the stator and ecu everything seems to be fine. I am thinking that maybe the fuel pump could be clogged? BUT i just replaced the fuel pump two seasons ago because it stopped working. The pump does prime when the bike key is in and the bike turns on and all the gauges are fine, there is NO FI light on so there's no codes to pull, and I don't think it is the rectifier because they battery keeps a charge. I also checked the wiring harness and everything seems to be fine.I already disassembled the fuel pump and checked to make sure that it was not clogged and that there was no sludge or anything at the bottom of the filter and it was perfectly fine, I am thinking now that it could be the power commander. I had orginally posted on kawiforums.com but didnt get much help and someone reccomended that I post on here to see if anyone has had the same problem and could help me out. I don't know if the maps need updating on the power commander or how i can check to see if that even is the problem, I have two videos below that shows how the bike sounds when i start it up as well as what the power commander does when I try to start the bike. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)
this is what my power commander does anytime the bike tries to start
also took out the air filter and checked that there are no clogs and sprayed the stuff into the air box to see if that would start it but nothing worked.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Your battery is low.
Air box needs to be pulled so you can try some starting fluid. Easiest way to test for fueling or spark issue.
With spray no start, it's spark. With spray and it tries to run it's fuel.

Nice to have a lady on the forum.
Look forward to your HI, I'm new to the forum post with pictures of course.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe this was done I wasn’t there when they did it do ill do it again, are the chances higher of it having it one of the things you said or being the power commander. I’m so frustrated with this bike I’m at a loss -_- and hello welcome

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
Try the easy stuff first. There have been cases where a low battery would let the engine crank, but not be able to supply a spark to ignite the fuel. Your battery is definitely low. Try jump-starting it from your car battery to see if it works. (Keep the car engine off tho).

If it still doesnt start, try spraying some starting fluid into the intake as you crank it.

If it still doesnt start, it would most likely be an issue with the power commander. Try disconnecting it and have the bike run on the factory ECU....see what happens.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was doing the same thing with the battery fully charged and I also tried spraying the stuff into the intake still nothing, so my next step is to disconnect the power commander and see if that does the trick. I just am not sure how to go about disconnecting it and re connecting everything back to stock so ill have to do some research before I do that. That is the only thing i am not too familiar with doing aside from that i feel like i could take this bike apart in my sleep because i've had so many issues with it. i love the bike but I feel like I have spent more time fixing it than riding it :(

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
It was doing the same thing with the battery fully charged and I also tried spraying the stuff into the intake still nothing, so my next step is to disconnect the power commander and see if that does the trick. I just am not sure how to go about disconnecting it and re connecting everything back to stock so ill have to do some research before I do that. That is the only thing i am not too familiar with doing aside from that i feel like i could take this bike apart in my sleep because i've had so many issues with it. i love the bike but I feel like I have spent more time fixing it than riding it :(
I actually love working on my bike. I just keep riding tho....my bike has literally given me zero problems.

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
Not having a power commander, I speak from ignorance....... the video showing what the PC does when you turn on the ignition seems to show it going through it's boot sequence multiple times. I don't think that it should be doing that, but I don't own one to compare your video to.

Hopefully others so equipped will be able to offer a comment. This would appear to be the most likely scenario, IMHO.

It always comes back to air, fuel, or spark.

Air is the most difficult to mess up, as that's pretty much entirely mechanical. If it quit working after storage, and it's air related, critters in the air box would come to mind. Sounds like you would already have checked that. Rubber boots airbox to throttle bodies, TB's to head, would be another place that may have damage from gnawing, but that wouldn't be all four at the same time.

Fuel, you can check without trying to start the bike..... pull the feed going to the injector rail and turn on the ignition. If it sprays fuel like it would have to do to prime the rail, it's probably good.

Spark seems the most likely culprit. If the starter fluid didn't get you any attempts to start, that seems reasonable. The question would be why.

Do the simplest least intrusive things first. Check all the idiot switches. Kill, clutch, side stand. Don't bypass them, simply put the bike in a condition where you negate their impact. Neutral should do.

The PC should have plugs that mate to your wire harness, so it is placed in series with the OEM harness. Should be a matter of unplugging it, and then connecting the pair of male/female receptacles on the OEM harness. I would expect that there is one pair for each injector, power and ground, and probably one more plug.

Every time I take an electrical connector apart on my bike, it is treated with dielectric grease before it is put back together. Sealing out moisture to prevent future intermittent performance is the goal. Trapped water in any plug will cause rust. Rust is higher resistance than the metal it is replacing. Eventually the build up of rust will cause problems. Opening and closing the connector will scrape away the rusting and allow point to point contact across the pins. It will immediately start rusting again if oxygen can get to the metal. That daub of insulating grease will allow the metal pins to make contact and do their job, but will seal out the air.

Connections to the frame (ground) need the same treatment. Electricity will not flow, without a complete path from the source to the thing you want to do, and a return to the source.

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
Are you getting spark?

I would try pulling the power commander off the bike
I have seen enough of them go bad that it is worth checking to make sure.........
it is all plug and play- just follow the wires to the injectors and unplug and then plug the oem connectors back together, same with the TPS sensor.....do them one at a time and you can't mess it up

The PC does have the ground wire hooked up? no ground wire, no start (but they will crank forever or as long as the battery will take)

Lastly, your battery does seem to discharge rather quickly.........it may be on its last leg despite it taking some charge, and all this could simply be----low battery and needs a new one........ you could simply charge it as much as it will, then put jumpers to it from a known good source... ie car- but not running!!
and see if it makes any difference

If you do need a battery....YTX9-BS is only 120cca while the YT12a-bs is 180cca and is the same size and same terminal location for only a couple dollars more

Reactions: RJ2112

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So i haven't disconnected the PC yet but that is my next thing to do, I don't know wth the person who had it before did but they did NOT take care of the bike well at all. I'll probably try disconnecting it today and hopefully seeing if it starts but, will the bike be fine to run with the full exhaust without a pc? There is definitely spark and definitely fuel and the airbox i had checked one of the first things, so Hopefully its just the pc that is the culprit but I was looking on their site and they are super expensive so If i really dont need one in order for the bike to run I doubt I will be replacing it, also would the bike not start if the maps needed to be updated? and yes there is a groun wire but I will double check its not broken or chewed or anything like that but i am almost 100 percent sure that I checked it, I appreicate all the feed back and help because my patience is so thin lol #kawiprobs

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
So i haven't disconnected the PC yet but that is my next thing to do, I don't know wth the person who had it before did but they did NOT take care of the bike well at all. I'll probably try disconnecting it today and hopefully seeing if it starts but, will the bike be fine to run with the full exhaust without a pc? There is definitely spark and definitely fuel and the airbox i had checked one of the first things, so Hopefully its just the pc that is the culprit but I was looking on their site and they are super expensive so If i really dont need one in order for the bike to run I doubt I will be replacing it, also would the bike not start if the maps needed to be updated? and yes there is a groun wire but I will double check its not broken or chewed or anything like that but i am almost 100 percent sure that I checked it, I appreicate all the feed back and help because my patience is so thin lol #kawiprobs
You'll be fine running the bike for a short period of time with a full exhaust and no PC.

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
Welcome.

The simple check to see if the power commander is out of whack, is to remove it.

A fully charged battery which passes a load test helps, a lot.

If the bike sat for months, critters may have set up house. A mouse nest in the air box makes for bad running. Chewed up wiring does, too.

Idiot switches can also get stuck and cause issues. A 12 year old bike is a candidate for electrical problems, due to rusty connections. Really a good idea to take every connector apart and inspect. Flood with dielectric grease to prevent future corrosion. Same thing with the ground connections.

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
So I have a 06 zx6r with a full yoshi exhaust. I have had many issues over the years with it but this time i'm stumped. I went to start my bike to take it out for the first time this season and it wouldn't start. I replaced the battery which I figured would have been the issue and went to start it again. It makes a sound like it wants to start but it won't turn over. I have checked all the wiring, emptied the fuel put fresh fuel in replaced the spark plugs changed the battery checked all the fuses checked the stator and ecu everything seems to be fine. I am thinking that maybe the fuel pump could be clogged? BUT i just replaced the fuel pump two seasons ago because it stopped working. The pump does prime when the bike key is in and the bike turns on and all the gauges are fine, there is NO FI light on so there's no codes to pull, and I don't think it is the rectifier because they battery keeps a charge. I also checked the wiring harness and everything seems to be fine.I already disassembled the fuel pump and checked to make sure that it was not clogged and that there was no sludge or anything at the bottom of the filter and it was perfectly fine, I am thinking now that it could be the power commander. I had orginally posted on kawiforums.com but didnt get much help and someone reccomended that I post on here to see if anyone has had the same problem and could help me out. I don't know if the maps need updating on the power commander or how i can check to see if that even is the problem, I have two videos below that shows how the bike sounds when i start it up as well as what the power commander does when I try to start the bike. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :) https://youtu.be/5le29zs7llU this is what my power commander does anytime the bike tries to start https://youtu.be/_1-dZ85cuq8 also took out the air filter and checked that there are no clogs and sprayed the stuff into the air box to see if that would start it but nothing worked.
So what's going on with this? Are you up and running?:O

·
Registered
8 Posts
By any chance to you figure out what was wrong cause I’m dealing with the exact same problem! Smh I cleaned and put new gas. I changed spark plugs. I cleaned my air filter. I checked all my fuses. I just disconnected my PC but battery to weak now. Imma charge my battery tomorrow and see if it was the PC but if you had any luck please I’d love to hear your fix!!! 😩

·
Registered
1 Posts
By any chance to you figure out what was wrong cause I’m dealing with the exact same problem! Smh I cleaned and put new gas. I changed spark plugs. I cleaned my air filter. I checked all my fuses. I just disconnected my PC but battery to weak now. Imma charge my battery tomorrow and see if it was the PC but if you had any luck please I’d love to hear your fix!!! 😩
Did you ever find out what the problem was? Having same issue

1 - 20 of 20 Posts