Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay first things first....
When I bought my bike it was in perfect condition other than the flames!
My friend's step-mom confused my bike and my buddy's R1 with a box of fireworks and my bike was totaled after she backed over it. As you can see in the pictures there is quite a bit of cosmetic damage and that's all other than a radiator stay and subsequently the cooling fan was melted a little. Now that the bike is paid off I have started to do some changes to the bike and I wanted to share them with all of you. Feel free to comment good or bad!!!

Current mods:
Termignoni slip-on absolutely love this muffler. check out 'termignoni dynatek' on youtube to hear it. It is a bad video but you get the idea.
K&N Air Filter
Power Commander 3- Dynatek fuel management was not very beginner friendly
2 trips to get custom tune... ready for a 3rd (see previous posts)

Mods on order:
Sequential tail light (smoke) actually getting it for 130 new i think that is a great price!
Flush mounted turn signals (smoke)
Tank Pad (to cover flames until I can take apart the bike and paint)

Work lined up:
This weekend having the rims powdercoated... Satin Black.
Also replacing front tire while disassembled. Pilot Power don't seem to last very long especially for their price tag but they require no balancing and they are smooth.

Future Mods:
Cutting out cat: Local exhaust guy is intrigued at the thought (He has done the pipes on my 4 wheeled vehicles)
Steering Damper: So damn expensive
Stainless brake lines
Crash cage
New levers... undecided on brand

Paint!! It may be totaled but I still love her. Replacing the two panels either missing a junk or cracked (front fairing and lower right)

Suggestions on paint?? I really like the idea of murdering it out (straight non gloss black) but from what I understand it is really hard to keep clean.

QUESTION!: Where or how do people replace the lighting behind the speedo/tach? Mine has a mysterious crack on the plastic so I will be disassembling anyway

P.S.
If you watch the video I realize I didn't have gear on but I have bought a jacket, gloves, and new helmet since then so please no squid comments!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Seems like you have some cool plans for her. Flat black would be cool too, but then again some guys have done nice jobs with white. Had a friend replace the different color speedo lights, there's and ihacked.com thread somehwere. Keep us posted on pics.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
The cat is incorporated into the OEM muffler, which you have already gotten rid of, therefore "cutting out the cat" is not possible. Tell your exhaust guy "Thanks, but I saved myself some money."

As for paint, don't go flat black, it's played out. What about a pearl white, like the color of the white Nissan Morano.

It looks pretty clean without the flames though :thumbup I've been wondering what mine would look like w/out 'em.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just know they are a huge pain to get off!! Set aside a few hours. I should have tried a blow dryer or something. Is that why the muffler is so heavy? I thought it looked like maybe it was after the 2-1 section?? anyway thanks for the tip!!

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
dont do the flat black go a nice color.. Everyone is doin the white now.. what about a cherry red or a candy color?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
only thing is since the bike is totaled I don't want to spend a whole lot on paint... I think if I tried to do a candy on the cheap it will look bad...??

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
How cheep is "uber cheep"? I may be interested if he's not.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay one more step in the build... I replaced the plugs tonight and while I was taking it apart I noticed one of the plugins for the secondary shower injectors wasn't plugged in.. It was resting on it but I didn't have to push the tab to release it. I checked and tab is functional. Bad News is the rain struck Terre Haute tonight so I will not know if it helped until tomorrow on my way to get my wheels taken off. It seems to have a little better throttle response sitting but that is probably in my head (speaking of plugs not the plug)

Question: If that one was unplugged would that cause none of them to work?? If so, that would explain why my bike would not run right at the tune and was all over the place..

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
going by the pics it does not look bad at all.. whats broken. looks just like a bit near the screen

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rims are done!

Here's a pic of my rear rim it was getting dark and was a pic by my blackberry so not the best but I will post more when mounted.. The color is Satin Black and they are powdercoated

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Beware!!

Okay I just got rims back from the powder coater and I'm really excited to get them on. Take them to the shop where my bike has been residing and they get the tires and start to mount them and the rear wheels won't fit. You can see in the pics where I had the guy who coated them take off as much as he could where the "cush" drive resides. I'm not sure sure if that's the right spelling. Anyway this still isn't for sure a fix but if you take your wheels to get done make triple sure they know what they are doing and don't coat where there shouldn't be!!! I will know tomorrow if they will work as is.

The dog in the pic is my male boxer. He was born October 10th 2008 so he is still growing.. You have to admit he is a stud and his name is Oliver Mud

Attachments

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
wheels look good mate, did you have to getthem sand blasted before powder coating? The place that will do mine over winter said that they need to be sand or bead blasted first

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yes they were sand blasted first. One thing to keep in mind is when they sand blast tell them not to blast the very center of the wheel where the wheel bearing sit. They guy did mine and it made them coarse and my shop had a heck of a time getting the bearings back in!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts