Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rebuilding the engine on my race bike and the colors change on the rod bearing was wondering if anyone knew the sizes on the new rod bearing color. Thanks for all your help

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
The color codes designate where the bearings go. Pull up the parts fische and you'll see where each bearing is supposed to go.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Rebuilding the engine on my race bike and the colors change on the rod bearing was wondering if anyone knew the sizes on the new rod bearing color. Thanks for all your help
Do you have the oe service manual?

It shows you how to identify the marks on the rods and the marks on the crank and look at the table to see which bearing it calls for and how much clearance they should measure at.

Are you simply replacing as a matter of maintainance or were they worn out and a problem?

make sure and measure the rod for roundness as well.....you may well have to take .001"-.0015" off the cap to make it round again....

Reactions: ZedExMuse

·
Registered
60 Posts
Different colors are for different clearances. It's not like other bearings on the bike where only one fit's and you slap it in. You need plastigauge to determine the clearances and then adjust accordingly with your bearings (of different colors).

One thing to keep in mind is that when you order them, one part number is for 1 half bearing. To me this is stupid because who needs to order half a bearing? It's not like you need to mix and match colors.
Anyways, your bill needs to show 10pcs for 5 bearings. Frustrating as all hell when you wait for your special order bearings from Japan and only get half of each one.

I also strongly recommend plastigauge and a test assembly to confirm your new bearing choice before you put humpty dumpty back together again. If you get this wrong you are looking at severe catastrophic failure in the very near future. Probably should get a friend to help or take it to someone who knows what they're doing.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I have the service manual for the bike but the color code in the book is different from the color code that they have for the bearings now cuz I guess they upgraded the rods so I was just trying to figure out what new color bearing will match the old color bearing if that makes sense to anyone

·
Registered
60 Posts
Different colors are for different clearances. It's not like other bearings on the bike where only one fit's and you slap it in. You need plastigauge to determine the clearances and then adjust accordingly with your bearings (of different colors).
:smile

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts