Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UGGGG.....Hi guys, lifetime GSXR guy, literally bought my first Kawi 3 days ago. Beautiful bike, probably the nicest feeling bike i've ever gotten to ride. The intput, agility, nimbleness and aggressiveness are...WOW... but THIS!!!!!

here is a brief summary of my experience thus far on the 05 zx6r 636:
Bike has 19000 KM exactly, never been dropped. Bike sat for 2 years prior to being serviced for sale. I was advised that the coolant was flushed, brake fluid, oil and air filter. The bike came with an aftermarket “hotbodies undertail exhaust” and a power commander 3 (unknown map)
FI light on, when I pulled the code in dealer mode, I got a 34 (butterfly exhaust valve malfunction)
When riding down the HWY at hwy speeds in hot weather, the bike performs as it should, however, after about half an hour of riding at those speeds, if I suddenly hit traffic, the bikes temp gauge will rise to 100 (sorry, uhhh, 212 i think), the fan will kick on but the temp will keep rising, at 106 (222), the bike will all of a sudden, start to buck, and just cut off (still has power) I have to let the bike sit at the side of the road cool for about 10 minutes before it will start again, then this will continue every ten minutes until the bike is home and allowed to cool completely.
I have researched this issue the best I could, and from what I could find, this is somewhat of a common issue on these specific kawi’s. Everything I have been able to find show only several possible problems, but none are definitive.
Heat from the undertail causing the ECU to shutdown/ Malfunction.
The servo motor in the exhaust is malfunctioning.
Thermostat stuck closed
Cam shaft sensor malfunction.
Power commander incorrect mapping
Note that this does not happen in cool conditions, or at riding speed. Only in hot traffic once the temp passes 100 c

Any assistance in pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
998 Posts
I've never had my bike go over 216 in traffic maybe 218. This on a 95 degree day. I know it sounds like beating a dead horse but I'd say ecu by your description but I would first start with the coolant, make sure it is fresh and no air pockets and see if the temps come down. It may be the extra temp causing the ecu to malfunction so start there. On a side note I never had my ecu over heat. Also is that hotbodies completely enclosed? If so that would be the second place to go after the coolant.

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
Yeah... sounds like the ECU might be getting too hot since it sits pretty much right over the undertail exhaust. I'd start there...

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quick update, I just pulled her in after a hot ride, tried to recreate the conditions, but no traffic on a Saturday morning :s In any case, I did notice the exhaust would start to pop a bit once I let off the throttle, wondering if this in conjunction with the butterfly valve actuator malfunction/ open short code might be the culprit here. Ive attached some pics of the inside of her, its heat wrapped to the wazoo, but I did find some melting on the plastic undertail housing, and through one of the layers of heat wrap. Any Ideas would be awesome! Thanks guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah... sounds like the ECU might be getting too hot since it sits pretty much right over the undertail exhaust. I'd start there...
That would have been my first guess too, thanks for the quick reply. I wonder if I should source another 05 ECU, or get an 06, since it doesn't seem like they had as many of the same types of issues. Also, would it work in an 05? and would I have to flash it to my VIN?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've never had my bike go over 216 in traffic maybe 218. This on a 95 degree day. I know it sounds like beating a dead horse but I'd say ecu by your description but I would first start with the coolant, make sure it is fresh and no air pockets and see if the temps come down. It may be the extra temp causing the ecu to malfunction so start there. On a side note I never had my ecu over heat. Also is that hotbodies completely enclosed? If so that would be the second place to go after the coolant.
It's not it looks like the guy who installed it retained the stock heat shield, but its left exposed in sections right under the ECU essentially. I guess I was just looking for brighter minds to confirm my suspicions. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
try to insulate the ecu with something under it.
Will I know/ is there a way to find out if the ECU is actually cooked? or it just needs better insulation? Also, if I put heat wrap around the ECU, wont that make the issue worse, since the ECU gets pretty hot on its own through electrical resistance?

·
Registered
461 Posts
dont put it around the ecu put it under it. i have no issues with mine and i did it that way. depending what muffler your running has a diff effect on heat near ecu also.try to put some heat tape under it . the stuff with foam and alum foil made for plumbing works well

·
Registered
251 Posts
Very common problem with that year. Tons of great help on this forum so if you have any problems you've found the place to come.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thought Id give an update. So I put in a new 06 ECU today, first thing I noticed, the bike didn't chock at all on the cold start, idled much leaner and just a touch under 2k from the jump. Ill post pics after but the old one when pulled out had fried in behind the pin sockets where its rubber sealed, to the point it was cracked and torn open, long of the short,m the thing was fried. Put the new one in on top of the battery under my seat, added some heat shielding and away we go. Haven't got to push her in heat or traffic... But fingers crossed! Thanks so much for all your help... as I really wasn't interested in dropping another 3 gs into this bike before I've even riden her!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just wanted to post an update, as this seems to be a very common issue among this model year. I've ut 600 KM on the bike with the new ECU and have not had an issue even once. The conditions have been the same on numerous occasions, but the bike has run as perfectly as the engineers intended. Thanks to everyone who posted for the quick advise and genuine assistance. I could not have resolved this issue without the members of ZX6R.COM.
Thanks again!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts