Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok so like i said in my new rider post my oil drain plug threads are stripped out. i took a video to show what i am talking about to keep it short.

BUT.........

wouldnt upload, wrong file or something, idk, its an mp4, use a samsung galaxy s5, if anyone knows to get vids and stuff from that to here, that'd be helpful.

Back on topic. so the drain plug is 92066 92066-1174 PLUG,OIL DRAIN,12X15, from service manual. so that means, from what i understand and you all may already know, the M12 (12mm threaded shaft Diameter) x 1.5 (thread pitch) x 15mm (shaft length) oil drain plug.

When i took my plug out, bolt is not the normal one that should be there, its longer, and the crush washer, was F**KED. last few threads of bolt didnt wanna let get to get out, and the washer, STAYED on the bolt hole, like it was attached to something. it was. pulled it off with needle nose pliers, with the back and forth method.

it looked like a piece of the washer had shaved itself into the plug hole, so i grabbed and started pulling it out, which seems to be an old heli coil someone used, im unsure of this though, could just be the actual threads getting pulled out from over-tightening. snipped off what i pulled out, fandangled the old drain plug back in and got it tight with new washer, left on DIY rear stand bout 30 min came back, drips of oil leaking still, removed bolt.

so im thinking of doing this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnP1HQkq70s for a repair even though its a car not a bike, but same concept, without having to get a new $170 drain pan

or trying something like this, skip around the vid to find what im talking about, good laughs from vid if full length watched. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5LWcTVeWR8

2005 Kawasaki NINJA ZX-6R (ZX636-C1) Oil Pan | Babbitts Kawasaki Partshouse

only problem is the kit in the video comes in an M14-1.25, and 14 is 2 mm larger then the original 12mm the drain plug should be. does anybody think this will work? or have any suggestions to something that will work? without going the expensive route?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
think im going to just drill it to 13mm (slightly larger then 1/2") and then use the taping tool from the sav a thread kit, 14mm-1.25, so ill try and get that done tomorrow before i got to work. ill post when its dont, to let everyone if itll work

·
Registered
891 Posts
They make an oil drain plug that will grip the inside of the pan. It looks the same as the heavy duty hangers you use to support heavy objects on a wall. The flat washer will have a thick rubber gasket that will mate to the pan. They work great and will get you by until you put a new pan on.

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
Ave (the second YouTube video) is my favorite channel on YouTube. I highly recommend checking him out

But yeah take it to the shop, bite the bullet and have it fixed right.

·
Registered
369 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dude.....

Just pay the 170 and get it over with. No guessing, no worries.

alrighty, well turns out i didnt have to buy to much or fuck to much. it was just a dumbass who had back previously, or maybe even before him, didnt know wtf they were doing.

took the bolt i pulled to oriellys, they sized it as a 10mm x (whatever)

im thinkin, what? the pan bolt is a 12mm x 1.5 mm pitch. sooooooo... i tell them that, we go look, get a bolt that is 12mm x 1.25, as thats all they had on hand. 3 pk for 2.69 w/ tax. took home, lined it up, threaded it up... "son of a diddly" its a match. was a little ummm... roughish going in, thats cause the pitch different and the bs threads that were f**ked.

ran it in all the way, back out, couple times. got a tread cleaner tap dodad (borrowed from orielly) ran that in and out, quite a few times, LOTS of thread shavings. poured a quart of castral 10-40 to helm pull some crap i pushed up there down and out. let drain for a while. cleaned in threads with shop rag, crush washer and a fresh bolt, and bobs you uncle.

tighten till "tight" then a half 1/4 turn more. put a wood block under hole to wait for oil to drip through 30 min, felt around bolt and nothing came through.

finished oil change, turned her over, and she purrs.

need to get a magnetic drain plug now, cause im worried about the little little pieces of metal that will be in there, that i couldnt get will do A LOT of damage.

i let her for about 15 min or so and no grinding or strange sounds so thats a good sign, and no leaks at bolt after pressure was built and oil warm.

pic of bolt hole after heli removal, before new bolt threaded in.
pic of obvious bolt size difference

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Drop the oil pan...its pretty easy.
drop it to what? clean it out? do you think theyll make that big of difference being in there? waht little there probably is?... idk, thats why i post here

they're like dust, almost

i feel like they would get caught in the filter?...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:laughThats insane... So the PO put wrong size bolt in then tried to make it work with a helicoil?
yep, looks that way. people these days. :O

1 - 12 of 12 Posts