Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy guys! Im having an issue with the electrical on my 05. I was riding a while back, and came to a light. It started to die out on me (1st gear, clutch in at a stop) and after a quick throttle blip to try and keep it alive it cut completely. I had dash lights still at the time. Had it towed home, and let it sit over night. Bike started just fine, rode for about a mile and a half, then did the same thing. On recommendation if some techs I know, I replaced the Stator, Regulator, and Rectifier. Made sure the battery was charged, turned the key, and it lit up for a minute, then my backlighting and indicators on the dash flickered (N, Fi, and Oil, standard lights that come on with just electrical power). Along with this was a ticking noise that sounded like it was coming from the fuel injectors/under the tank. Drained the battery in less than 5 minutes. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Squiddy

1/21/23 UPDATE
Got a new Lithium battery charged and in the bike. Started right up and ran fine for about 20 minutes, then died on me again. As of now Im thinking the issue is not that the stator/reg/rec are not charging as they are new, but that somewhere along the line something is preventing them from charging (yeah obvious I know). Will be going through the electrical system to see what I can find. Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks again guys,
Squiddy

· Registered
11,161 Posts
Use some jumper cables to hook up the bike to your car battery. (Dont start the car).
Then start the bike and as the engine is running, measure the voltage at the jumper cable wires. Is it close to 14 volts?

· Registered
2022 ZX-6R KRT ABS
266 Posts
If you have a voltmeter, you can check the following:

After the bike has been sitting off for a while, the battery voltage should be 12.8V or so -- that tells you it is fully charged.

Then if you start the bike, the voltage on the battery should be over 14V -- that tells you the charging system is working.

Make sure your battery terminals are tight.

If you drained the battery in 5 minutes, either you have a bad battery or something is drawing excessive current...

· Registered
2004-20-23 636
387 Posts
And it’s too late now but everything you replaced could have easily been tested to see if and what you needed replaced. Everyone should own a service manual and a test meter. Just throwing parts and praying gets expensive very fast.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Use some jumper cables to hook up the bike to your car battery. (Dont start the car).
Then start the bike and as the engine is running, measure the voltage at the jumper cable wires. Is it close to 14 volts?
I'll give this a try. Had the bike on the charger for a couple days (been out of town) and it shot up but died shortly after. on the charger its sitting at 12v.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you have a voltmeter, you can check the following:

After the bike has been sitting off for a while, the battery voltage should be 12.8V or so -- that tells you it is fully charged.

Then if you start the bike, the voltage on the battery should be over 14V -- that tells you the charging system is working.

Make sure your battery terminals are tight.

If you drained the battery in 5 minutes, either you have a bad battery or something is drawing excessive current...
Not 100% sure if I have one on hand but I know were I can get one. Battery was brand new when I got the bike as the old one was bad (bike sat for about 14 mo.). Terminals are nice and snug, so I doubt its that. Thanks for the tip on voltage readings, I'll see what I'm looking at in the morning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts