Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I'm currently struggling to get the old 636 to start. My last ride in the fall unfortunately ended up in a slow (10-15mpg) low slide on the left side. During the winter I removed the fairings and gas tank for painting (turned out pretty sweet). To my dismay after reassembling this spring she won't start.

Observations:
- Bike turned over well, did not sputter or have any combustion
- battery has a lot of juice
- Double checked all the connectors
- Gas line has fuel going through it
- plugs have spark (grounded off of frame)
- Spark plugs are less than a year old and have about 2,000 miles on them
- Starter fluid through the throttle body did not result in combustion

Troubleshooting I've done:
- Service codes that read: 34, 62, 63 (34 and 63 are the result of after market exhaust)
- Followed service manual's trouble shooting for service code 62 (subthrottle valve actuator
- Subthrottle valves did not operate properly. They moved approximately 10 degrees, stuttered, and returned to full open position
- Checked actuator connector, resistance was within spec, voltage was checked without peak volt meter but reading was out of spec
- Checked wiring to ECU and observed no problems
- Replaced ECU which did not eliminate the problem.
- Swapped ECU Main relay (the drop cracked the side fairing exactly were the relay sits) with another zx6r and did not help

My next plan is to replace the throttle body, but most people who experience that service code don't have trouble starting that I'm aware of.

If you guys have any advice or recommendations I'd really really appreciate it.

·
Registered
13,120 Posts
Subthrottle plates start off fully open. As the bike warms up they go to a slightly open position and operate normally like they should.

Have u installed the tip sensor in the correct position?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The subthrottle plates are suppose to cycle when the ignition is turned on, and they don't. I double checked the vehicle down sensor and it's installed correctly. I even swapped it out with another bike and it did not help.

·
Registered
279 Posts
So it sounds like you have fuel being delivered and you apparently have spark.
Check other sensors that could be telling the ECU to kill the engine.
Kickstand?
Neutral sensor?

I have to ask - How about the red kill switch next to the throttle. Been caught by that one myself a half a dozen times.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The kill switch is working fine. It only allows the bike to turn over in one position, I switched it back and forth to double check.

The kickstand switch failed one inspection criteria (in gear, kickstand up, clutched pulled, hit ignition but nothing happened). I checked the continuity between the leads and it was fine. I'm not sure about that one.

I checked the neutral switch but i'm not sure if I did the inspection right. The manual has you check the connector to a ground but I couldn't get it to read anything, in neutral or not.

The battery ground is fine, Im going to check the ground/ power supply to the ECU next.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Rethinking this, those kill switches keep the bike from turning over. I don't think you have that problem. It sounds more like the injectors are not firing or the timing is so far off, ignition and/or fuel are not occurring at the right time.

If you crank it over trying to start it, can you smell fuel around the throttles?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts