Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I replace the 10A fuse the bike will start up and idle for a moment, then pop goes the fuse. It does have a PC3 installed, it also has a woodcraft ignition bypass for racing.

I am lost, just looking to find anyone with similiar experience, or maybe someone a bit more tech savvy to tell me where to start. Sorry if this is a report, but I've viewed multiple post and the issues others have dont seem to be the same as mine.

Thank you

·
Registered
12,900 Posts
Fuses let go, because the circuit they are protecting is consuming more current than is expected.

If you inspect the wiring harness very closely I would expect that you will find a point where the insulation has been compromised. That's likely causing a 'hot' wire to make contact with the frame or some other metal on the bike.

Pinched wires, or rubbing wires. Look for wear, or discoloration on the insulation or the metal it passes by.

It is a good idea to start the inspection wherever someone has modified the OEM harness. Even great workmanship can degrade over time. Bad work can go south a lot quicker.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fuses let go, because the circuit they are protecting is consuming more current than is expected.

If you inspect the wiring harness very closely I would expect that you will find a point where the insulation has been compromised. That's likely causing a 'hot' wire to make contact with the frame or some other metal on the bike.

Pinched wires, or rubbing wires. Look for wear, or discoloration on the insulation or the metal it passes by.

It is a good idea to start the inspection wherever someone has modified the OEM harness. Even great workmanship can degrade over time. Bad work can go south a lot quicker.

Thank you I saw one wire had a tiny slit in the insulation

·
Registered
12,819 Posts
I traced the circuit for the IGN fuse. Most possible suspects are a bad ignition coil, bad fuel pump relay, or just a short somewhere in the wiring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I traced the circuit for the IGN fuse. Most possible suspects are a bad ignition coil, bad fuel pump relay, or just a short somewhere in the wiring.

Its blowing the fuse without the tank hooked up, I'll look into the ignition coil or whatever that is. All major components are working. Checking CDI box and REC tomorrow. Thank you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts