Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

04 zx6r 636 f1 light only on when running

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  zx6ixxer 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, first thread i’ve made, in desperate need of help, my f1 light on my 636 only comes on when it’s running, takes a second to get it to start, I have to adjust the idle screw just to get it to idle okay, I did some digging and found a wire had broken off of the base of my map sensor, so I tried stripping as much as I could from the plug and stripped some wire back to get fresh wire and shoved it up against the broken yet exposed wire to see if that could be my actual problem, sounds stupid for me to ask this question but I’m not sure if I’m right i know wiring but not 1,000% so I would think atleast having some contact it would work

#2 ·
Some contact on the wire should be fine for testing. Its just a sensor wire…nothing that has a bunch of amps flowing thru it.

What code is the bike throwing? Theres a wire u can connect to ground and the FI light will flash a number of times, indicating the code. If you dont know how to do that, let us know and we can show u. Theres a thread dedicated to doing that task.

Will it keep running fine after it warms up? What if u keep the throttle open manually after it starts? Do u have a power commander or some other kind of aftermarket fuel mapping unit on the bike?

#4 ·
You need to pull the codes, don't play the guessing game. You will want to go into dealer mode 2 to pull up a history of all FI codes thrown, if not currently present. It will go in order from oldest to newest, so the last set of blinking lights is the current sensor issue. If you have too many codes and you're getting confused, you can wipe it clean, ride the bike and the next time the FI light pops up do the same diagnosis, and it should show all relevant issues.

It's pretty straight forward to pull the codes. See below link, give it a shot and let us know if you have issues after that.

Reactions: RJ2112
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.