Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have discovered my bike can't find natural well and skips out of 2nd and 3rd gear so I'm just gonna need to do a transmission refresh. I'm still fairly new to mechanics and my actual mechanic friend is also gonna be helping me. One question, Can I split the crankcases without taking off the head and valve covers? It would make things a lot easier for me?

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Yes...on my 06 I did without removing anything off the top end. I think the 03 is pretty much the same engine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man what a relief the top end is so much more complicated then the bottom end hahah replacing gears and shift forks isnt the worst thing ever but you start fucking with the camshaft pistons and timing and you got me FUCKED UP

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes...on my 06 I did without removing anything off the top end. I think the 03 is pretty much the same engine.
hey i checked the service manual and it says i ned to take the cylinder head off to split the case is this the case for the 05/06 as well and you can just get around it?

·
Registered
109 Posts
You can split the crankcase without messing with top end UNLESS you have to remove the crankshaft.

ask your friend if he has to remove the crankshaft to do the work

from my 03 zx6r manual...

Crankcase Splitting
• Remove the engine (see Engine Removal/Installation
chapter).
• Set the engine on a clean surface and hold the engine
steady while parts are being removed.
• Remove:
Crankshaft Sensor (see Electrical System chapter)
Clutch (see Clutch chapter)
External Shift Mechanism (see External Shift Mechanism Removal)
Starter Motor (see Electrical System chapter)
Oil Pump (see Engine Lubrication System chapter)
Alternator Rotor (see Electrical System chapter)
Oil Filter (see Engine Lubrication System chapter)
Oil Cooler (see Engine Lubrication System chapter)

If the crankshaft is to be removed, remove the pistons
(see Engine Top End chapter)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts