Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just recently bought an 03 zx6r. I have been a honda guy for years but thought I would try one of the legendary Kawis I hear so much about. I got the bike and its amazing a lot of power great bike and has woodcraft clip ons SCORE!!. But after a while, it started ticking louder and louder. I read up on it and saw the thousands of posts about the ticking so I adjusted the stock cct with the one-click method. and the ticking definitely got quieter. however, there is still think very very faint tick not at idle but at any rpm above like 3500. On all the discussions I have seen this isn't an issue that pops up so I thought I would start a thread to address it.

INFO ON THE BIKE

26,000 miles

03 zx6r

might be valves but valves are always kinda noisy and I would hear them at idle.

could be an exhaust but it would quiet down when the motors warm and it doesn't.

video of the motor running attached.

thanks for all the help guys loving the bike and community all ready.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Hello and welcome!

I wouldn't recommend adjusting the automatic cam chain tensioner in that manner. I know a lot of people tell you to do it, but don't. It will adjust automatically on it's own when necessary. Adjusting it manually just accelerates wear on the plastic chain guides. The ticking is usually normal on a Kawasaki.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks fo rthe response i looked into it and im probably just gonna go ahead and buy a new manual tensioner just to be safe also, i think the ticking mightttttt come from detonation due to the fact that i put in 87 instead of premium so im gonna do that tomorrow along with inspect the header bolts

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
The automatic tensioner is more than adequate. The manual tensioners are just asking for the same sort of trouble as trying to manually adjust the OEM automatic tensioner.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The automatic tensioner is more than adequate. The manual tensioners are just asking for the same sort of trouble as trying to manually adjust the OEM automatic tensioner.
hey man i understand and won't be re-tensioning the cct but what can this noise be i cant get behind it being the Kawi tick it sounds like its coming from the head, only happens once you rev it past about 5k and you can only head it on decel so I'm stumped besides it maybe being a valve tick though a valve tick wouldn't be this deep sounding thanks for the advice!!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked the torque on all the bolts but the gasket could. Be bad just a final question do you. Think she's safe to run? I would love. To get all these things fixed at once so when I do my valve clearance check in like two weeks with a buddy so I still wanna ride would you say she's safe to run?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sounds like normal cam chain noise to my ears through the speakers. I agree with strider to just let it go. My 08 sounded like the top end was toast at 7k-15k rpm before I self adjusted the automatic tensioner. I’m sure if I let it go, it would have done its job, but definitely felt sketchy. Oil level good? oil clean/changed? Run it. It‘s built to race and keep the rpms high, not sound like an electric scooter.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I get it haha yep fresh oil one gallon of rotella t6 after full change no bubbles in the glass just right in the finder in the middle. Of the two lines

·
Registered
13,273 Posts
One GALLON?

Are you checking the level in the sight glass with the bike vertical?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes sir it's an 03 zx6r believe it or not that's what they're rated for after a full change bike standing straight up cold shows half way it also has the clean air mod 😁😁

1 - 11 of 11 Posts