Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, i purchased a 03 zx6r about a month ago with 20k that had been layed over, ive went out and started the bike at least once a week until i had the money for tires and fork seals. The bike has always started good and reved fine, only rode bike once when i got it for a short distance. I took the bike to the shop to get tires and as i was trying to load it it kept dying, but would start right back. its sat for a while and its always started so i figured the battery was good. I got it back today, brought it home, cranked right up and let it run then changed the oil. I let it sit and run for a while and everything was good. I went out to crank it again about a hour later and it started then died 3 times and then it seemed like the battery died it just makes fast clicks and pops like a dead battery. I took the seat of and removed the batttery to discover the positive post on the battery has a few cracks in it but still seems like it should make a good enough connection. Would this be my problem and if so can it be saudered or repaired or just get a new battery

·
Registered
10,677 Posts
First, make sure ur idle is set to about 1600 rpms.

If that doesnt help I would try replacing the battery.

·
Registered
8,243 Posts
Well charge the battery, no doubt all those starts and brief running has discharged the battery.
Fully charge it first, before you consider throwing it out for a new one

Is there gas in the tank?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
It's a popular misconception that starting the bike every week or so when it's not being used regularly is a good idea. The bike needs to get up to temp for a reasonable amount of time to stop condensation building in the oil making it go 'mayonnaisey', so short warmups on you're driveway aren't enough. Also as far as I know the battery only gets charged when the revs are over 3.5k or thereabouts so just leaving it idling kills the battery too. If you're not going to ride it just leave it alone until you are, maybe with a battery tender if it's going to be an extended amount of time :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes there is gas in the tank put some 93 in her when i brought her back home, i will try charging the battery and see if it helps even though the positive post looks pretty rough

1 - 6 of 6 Posts