Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My zx6r was running fine a couple weeks ago, and i went to start it and now it just clicks when i push the start button. I’ve changed battery,starter,starter relay everything. checked fuses all look good. i’m stuck and don’t know what could be causing it not to start. I connected the voltmeter to the starter and frame ground and it turned over when i pushed the start button. Other than that nothing. the relay or junction clicks, and I hear a slight whine noise from the starter sometimes. Need help, any suggestions!

·
Registered
273 Posts
So just to reiterate, It now has a Brand New:-
Battery
Starter Motor
Starter Relay (The Relay where the 30A Fuse is located)

You connected a Voltmeter, What type ?
Exactly where on the starter did you connect it ?

Are you sure the whining noise is not the Fuel Pump priming, It should only last 3-5 seconds then stop if it is.

Have you check all connections are good and no corrosion ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes brand new battery and starter relay with 30A fuse and the starter is a used but in great condition one from ebay that I know works. I hear the fuel pump and the butterfly’s cycle through on start up but when I click the start button the relay or junction box clicks and some starts I can hear the starter whine a little. I’ve sand papered down all the connections to the battery and frame grounds to make sure it’s clean metal. As for voltmeter type no idea😂 One from menards, don’t make fun of me but I didn’t know there was different types. Lastly as for where I touched on the starter it’s where the wire on top connects that runs to the relay.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So just to reiterate, It now has a Brand New:-
Battery
Starter Motor
Starter Relay (The Relay where the 30A Fuse is located)

You connected a Voltmeter, What type ?
Exactly where on the starter did you connect it ?

Are you sure the whining noise is not the Fuel Pump priming, It should only last 3-5 seconds then stop if it is.

Have you check all connections are good and no corrosion ?
Yes brand new battery and starter relay with 30A fuse and the starter is a used but in great condition one from ebay that I know works. I hear the fuel pump and the butterfly’s cycle through on start up but when I click the start button the relay or junction box clicks and some starts I can hear the starter whine a little. I’ve sand papered down all the connections to the battery and frame grounds to make sure it’s clean metal. As for voltmeter type no idea😂 One from menards, don’t make fun of me but I didn’t know there was different types. Lastly as for where I touched on the starter it’s where the wire on top connects that runs to the relay.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you try putting the bike in gear and pushing the bike around 10ft with the tires on the ground which will cause the engine to physically move/turn over? And does it turn over the engine? Any luck with doing that a few times and hitting the starter? Does the bike push/bump start?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you try putting the bike in gear and pushing the bike around 10ft with the tires on the ground which will cause the engine to physically move/turn over? And does it turn over the engine? Any luck with doing that a few times and hitting the starter? Does the bike push/bump start?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, doesn’t seem to fix the problem, the problem i’m having is the bike not cranking, starting nothing. All i hear when I press the start button is a click from the junction box or starter relay.

·
Registered
8,243 Posts
What is the battery voltage of this supposed "brand new battery"?
What is the voltage across the starter relay when you hit the starter button?

did you try using jumper cables from a know good power source (your car that does not have the engine runnning, perhaps)

usually if that starter relay clicks and the bike does not turn the engine over it is in order of most common....

low charge or dead battery (12.5v static is a half dead battery!)
bad connections to battery/ground/starter
bad starter relay
bad starter
something internal in the engine locking it up

and as suggested above........... can you bump start it to know it is nothing internal in the engine locking it up

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is the battery voltage of this supposed "brand new battery"?
What is the voltage across the starter relay when you hit the starter button?

did you try using jumper cables from a know good power source (your car that does not have the engine runnning, perhaps)

usually if that starter relay clicks and the bike does not turn the engine over it is in order of most common....

low charge or dead battery (12.5v static is a half dead battery!)
bad connections to battery/ground/starter
bad starter relay
bad starter
something internal in the engine locking it up

and as suggested above........... can you bump start it to know it is nothing internal in the engine locking it up
Across the relay it’s 12.something whatever is needed to start the bike, and yes I am positive the battery is new and good because i’ve bought two now. i’ve sanded down all the connections to the battery and they are clean and on tight. everything else is new. i have tried bump starting it but I don’t really have a hill so it was difficult and don’t know if i was actually doing it. Do you guys think it could be my starter button or something like that? any suggestions help, i’m stuck and i’ve been trying some ideas from other posts i’ve seen but nothing seems to be working! Has anyone had this problem before??

·
Registered
8,243 Posts
The only thing the starter button does is activate the starter relay.

you say you can hear the relay click so you know the button is working

click bike into 2nd gear, pull in clutch and run along side as fast as you can, jump on the bike (riding position) and let out the clutch.....make sure your ignition is on and the kill button is in the run position. be even easier if you had a friend to help push, just don't let them tip it over......

Speaking of...

Did anything happen like the bike get knocked over those "couple weeks" it sat since you rode it last???

tip sensor, get stuck.it is just a steel ball inside a box that moves to a magnet end (essentially) when contact is made it kills the bike........ I have seen them on occassion get stuck, or people "fix" their bike and put it in upside down or forget to plug it in etc........

All the wires under the ignition switch still are hooked up and working??? anyone try to steal your bike and cut wires and try splicing them?

No FI light?

and I have seen upwards of dozens of "new" batteries be trash as purchased.so just because it is "new" does not mean it is any good...... anything hsort of 12.7v on a "new" battery is a battery that you do not want! at the very best case scenario it needs charging with a real battery charger not some idiotic 'maintenance charger'

otherwise I would need more detail.hell take some pictures or even a video that actually shows what is going on

Reactions: KevA

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The only thing the starter button does is activate the starter relay.

you say you can hear the relay click so you know the button is working

click bike into 2nd gear, pull in clutch and run along side as fast as you can, jump on the bike (riding position) and let out the clutch.....make sure your ignition is on and the kill button is in the run position. be even easier if you had a friend to help push, just don't let them tip it over......

Speaking of...

Did anything happen like the bike get knocked over those "couple weeks" it sat since you rode it last???

tip sensor, get stuck.it is just a steel ball inside a box that moves to a magnet end (essentially) when contact is made it kills the bike........ I have seen them on occassion get stuck, or people "fix" their bike and put it in upside down or forget to plug it in etc........

All the wires under the ignition switch still are hooked up and working??? anyone try to steal your bike and cut wires and try splicing them?

No FI light?

and I have seen upwards of dozens of "new" batteries be trash as purchased.so just because it is "new" does not mean it is any good...... anything hsort of 12.7v on a "new" battery is a battery that you do not want! at the very best case scenario it needs charging with a real battery charger not some idiotic 'maintenance charger'

otherwise I would need more detail.hell take some pictures or even a video that actually shows what is going on
I’ll give you more detail, i recently bought the bike and it was in perfect running condition besides a louder than normal tick, so i changed the cam tensioner and everything. While doing so it, I figured out the fuel injector for cylinder one wasn’t working and the bike was actually running on 3, fixed that all good and working. Bike started up sounded great with all cylinders. Had the tank resting up and it fell off the bike and pulled the fuel pump plug out and broke it, had that replaced correctly, followed wire diagram to make sure. Went to start it and it was cranking but not firing. Left it for a little bit and came back and now it’s just clicking when i click start. No cranking or nothing and that’s how it was been for about 3 weeks now. I changed the relay first, fixed nothing. battery next, fixed nothing. then starter motor, and still nothing. All it does is click. i’ve been trouble shooting with the wiring diagram by my side, checked the kill switch, seems to be okay, checked the tip over sensor, it’s good. checked the kick stand switch, it’s working. Now i’m just stuck and don’t know what to do to get it running and i refuse to pay the crazy prices at a shop to have them figure it out. the dash lights work, tail lights, no F.I. light. Also checked the ignition switch and it’s working too. Also when i check volts at starter it’s only getting half what the battery is, when i check at relay it’s getting the full volts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts