Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 03 zx6 with stock headers and yoshi slip on. Always ran 93, Ive fouled 2 sets of cr9e ngk plugs and now I have cr8e for one heat range hotter to try and help because it spits out black smoke like a diesel. I heard that just a slip on wont really affect much, would a power commander help this or would a sensor be bad? I really want to ride it this week and not have to wait for one to come. Please let me know, Thanks

·
Registered
859 Posts
Black smoke means running rich.. a tune would help with that but plugs someone else needs to chime in on that..

·
Registered
859 Posts
If it spurs out black smoke like you say it needs a tune. Post up a pic of ur plugs. More than likely they are fouling because your running rich. Also waste gas, lowers performance.. just because you have a slip on and normally doesn't need a tune, it sounds as your bike needs one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it spurs out black smoke like you say it needs a tune. Post up a pic of ur plugs. More than likely they are fouling because your running rich. Also waste gas, lowers performance.. just because you have a slip on and normally doesn't need a tune, it sounds as your bike needs one.
Thanks for your help. I will post a picture of the plugs soon. If I put the stock exhaust on will that revert it back to normal so I can ride it until the power commander comes?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Buy a pc3, get an filter, tune accordingly, ride the bitch. Black smoke is just running rich. Running rich is better then running lean.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Found out one problem all of my compression is 90 psi. I poured in oil and it jumped up to 150 psi but when the bike is running it only used to blow blue smoke at start up so I thought it was only the valve seals, would it be the head gasket or rings?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Rings

·
Registered
14,892 Posts
Even if the smoke went away once it was fully warmed up? The black smoke still came out but not the oil (blue)
If the compression did not increase with oil in the cylinder, it would be the valves. When you put oil in through the spark plug holes, you don't affect the valves... hence, rings.

Your engine oil probably smells very strongly of combustion gasses. You have tons of blow by if you are fouling plugs in such short order.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If the compression did not increase with oil in the cylinder, it would be the valves. When you put oil in through the spark plug holes, you don't affect the valves... hence, rings.

Your engine oil probably smells very strongly of combustion gasses. You have tons of blow by if you are fouling plugs in such short order.
Yeah I put oil in it to check if it was the rings but wouldn't it smoke the whole time if it was the rings or once it gets warmed up would the rings seal and not smoke?

·
Registered
14,892 Posts
Yeah I put oil in it to check if it was the rings but wouldn't it smoke the whole time if it was the rings or once it gets warmed up would the rings seal and not smoke?
The seals are gone. Cold compression checks are a relative measure.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The seals are gone. Cold compression checks are a relative measure.
Ok so I need new seals, I checked compression when it was cold and got 85-90 on all 4 cyl then poured in oil on each then jumped up to 150+ so would it be the seals and the rings or the seals and a bad head gasket?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Just dont understand if it's the rings too then why does the smoke go away once its warmed up shouldn't it still smoke?
Mine is the same way. It only smokes on start up but only when I rev it. If I dont rev it and just let it warm it, it doesn't smoke. There's been a couple of times when it doesn't even smoke on start up when I rev it so I dont worry about it.

·
Registered
14,892 Posts
Just dont understand if it's the rings too then why does the smoke go away once its warmed up shouldn't it still smoke?
It's not really going away, if you are fouling plugs in just a few hundred miles.
If you still have the OEM exhaust, with a catalytic converter in the pipe, it's going to burn off a LOT of hydrocarbons be they oil or gas.

All the things you are concerned with, interact. The fact that you have to take the head off the motor to get to the rings, means you are going to have a chance to inspect the valve seats, and the flatness of the head -- which will also let you inspect the head gasket to see if you have a leak.

When I say seals, I mean the seal between the rings and the cylinder walls. Any internal combustion engine is an air pump. It's all about how much air you can move effectively. Blown seals anywhere cause less efficiency and less power.

·
Registered
173 Posts
have the same problem with mine too does yous have black powder like stuff on the exhaust? coz mine does and blows off black smoke on high revs. but mine is due for an valve job coz i can hear them

1 - 18 of 18 Posts