Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been running through this forum looking for answers to my questions. i found this topic is outdated (2012).

On my b1h 03, i have a slip on, k and n air filter. When on night time "cruises" friends are telling me that the exhaust is spitting out flames alot!.

Due to these mods, do i need a fuel management system or remap?

If so, what would you recommend and why?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
442 Posts
is it doing it when you're coming off the throttle? Maybe consider some block off plates. Due to it being just a slip on, you shouldn't really need a fuel management system, but it wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi SCMil, thanks for the reply. I believe it is happening when I come of the throttle and then going back on. I'll check out block off plates. I've heard a lot about Bazzaz. Could you help mexplain understand the pros and cons?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Hi SCMil, thanks for the reply. I believe it is happening when I come of the throttle and then going back on. I'll check out block off plates. I've heard a lot about Bazzaz. Could you help mexplain understand the pros and cons?
Bazzaz and Power Commander are the 2 giants in the industry when it comes to fuel management systems. There are other options out there as well but you probably wouldn't know about them unless you did extensive research.

Bazzaz is superior in that it gives you more control, but it also is far less user-friendly. Setting it up properly requires knowledge of how to put together your own maps using their computer software. Power Commander gives you less control but is also more user-friendly, with more of a simple "plug and play" setup.

·
Registered
442 Posts

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Kawasaki's pop on decel, it happens at all levels. Watch a WSBK race, you will see the ZX10s popping a flame occasionally but no other bikes do it.

It is simply the nature of the beast and doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong. Here is a crappy cellphone video of my bike at the dyno. This is optimally tuned, and you can still see that there are some occasional pops on decel. Mostly when feathering the throttle or when off/on.

https://youtu.be/wjpVVCbykMc

Now, all that said, I always recommend a fuel management package for ANY bike. The factories set these things so lean to pass emissions, it is a good idea to get the bike tuned properly. Personally, I use Bazzaz Z-Fi-TC.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Many bikes, even after using a fuel controller, will still have the occasional backfiring/popping. It's on many bikes and as long as it is happening on deceleration, it should be okay.

My bike had that as well with my slip on but I put on the block off plates and it has minimized it ALOT.

PS, I know we ride sport bikes but motorcycles are all fairly similar and here's an article from Harley Davidson about popping/backfiring

Wild Fire Harley-Davidson: Tech Tip - Backfiring or Popping on Deceleration

·
Premium Member
1,717 Posts
Simple answer me friend...get rid of the two brothers :roll:

Wait...did the OP say he had a two bro's? I just assumed...you know..."Spitting Flames" and all :O

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha, not a twinbrothers my friend. I actually have a Beowulf Slip on.

Thank you everybody for the input and time. This is my first post and also first forum and I'm an very happy I joined. Currently checking out the info everyone has suggested.

Cheers!

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
the exhaust is spitting out flames alot!

what would you recommend and why?
I recommend IMMEDIATELY posting video of the supposed flame spitting phenomenon or the internets will never acknowledge that it has actually occurred and will, therefore, never impart to you the answer you seek :bitchslap:

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Gotta get that GoPro! Nitrusreigns
I would have to commune with them a little more to be sure, but from past experience, I'd guess that the internets would even be willing to comply with your requests in exchange for some crappy cell phone footage shot from a nearby car at night

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great article and photos! Envious of Mark’s poses with all the babes…tough duty! I parked my rig for a week at Sturgis RV Park up on the top tier in July, looking down and wondering what that scene would look like in August. Thank you for covering it so well…saved me from having to come back! Between May and July, I spent probably 4 glorious weeks at South Dakota for Sturgis Motorcycle Rally including Devils Tower but decided to spend August further west. You are right – there is so much to see and do there – seems endless.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts