Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so some of you know that I totaled the 636 and bought an 07, the 636 was only cosmetically damaged so I kept it as my track bike. My kawasaki instructor absolutely raves about the the P model 6Rs (07-08) says they're lighter more powerful, turn quicker blah blah blah. Well I will say the the 07 is a nice ride and feels more rigid and solid than my 636, BUT I'm not convinced it's the better bike, so I decided to the compare numbers in the manuals and heres what I found.

07 does have more HP stock: 125 vs 118
Dry weight has the 636 lighter by 13lbs: 355 vs 368
But to be fair it takes .26 more gallons of gas and .2 more qts of oil, and who knows about the cooling system, so they may be pretty close there.

Now here's where it starts to get interesting:
636 dimensions:
Wheel Base - 1,400mm
Road Clearance - 130mm
Rake Angle - 24.5
Trail - 95mm

07 dimensions:
Wheel Base - 1,405mm
Road Clearance - 125mm
Rake Angle - 25
Trail - 110mm

This means that the 07 sits lower, has a longer wheel base, and has a rake and trail that will make it a little slower to turn in; by the numbers at least. Now I havent ridden the 636 since I got the new bike, so I can't give an completely accurate side by side comparison... but I can say that I miss riding the 636 b/c I remember it being easier to put into a corner and go through the really tight twisties that are my roads of choice. However if you were to decrease the trail on the 07 by 13mm and bring it to 97mm (wich is the ideal number according to my Suzuki instructor who used to be lead R&D at RaceTech) that would make the 07 lower, shorter, and have a much better trail which could make it turn faster than the 636. I might have to play with this. Also I realize there are factors that I am not taking into account such as center of gravity, perhaps the 07's is lower, idk; I really just need to get back on the 636 and see if I still feel the same way.

Oh and one more thing, the 07 destroys the 636 in compression ratio with 13.3:1 vs 12.8:1

And lets face it, the B model 636's are just way prettier than the P model Zx-6Rs :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
where did you get your HP numbers from cause they definantly aren't right

·
Registered
554 Posts
the hp numbers dont seem right to me

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
you must got the hp numbers switch around bc the 636 makes more power than the 07-08 zx6r did, i had a 07 zx6r and it was down on power and felt heavier than my 04 636 did but i will say it handeled better and had way better brakes.

·
Registered
554 Posts
maybe one hp reference is at the crank? the other at the wheel? im just saying you have to watch out were u get your hp numbers from, i looked at a site that said the 03 only had 96 hp, and another said the bike 135hp so the only real way to know is to dyno both bike on the same dyno imo

·
Super Moderator
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like I said in the OP these numbers are form the Service Manuals. The head kawi instructor insists that the 07 has more hp but it's way smoother than the 636s so some people feel like they aren't as powerful, I tend to agree with them, doesn't always feel like the 07 is pulling as hard. That being said, the motor in the 07 is a completely re-design, so it seems like it should be a better motor, smaller more powerful; it does rev higher and have better compression.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Like I said in the OP these numbers are form the Service Manuals. The head kawi instructor insists that the 07 has more hp but it's way smoother than the 636s so some people feel like they aren't as powerful, I tend to agree with them, doesn't always feel like the 07 is pulling as hard. That being said, the motor in the 07 is a completely re-design, so it seems like it should be a better motor, smaller more powerful; it does rev higher and have better compression.
that all makes sense

·
Registered
208 Posts
I am posting some HP and stock spec info for you guys on most of the ZX-6Rs inculing the ones above and we as we all know the 636 is supreme still ;) I have ridden plenty of 07s and even 08 zx6rs and they feel great to ride but they really dont compare when you ride them one after another (07-08 after 636) or when you race the two against each other. Here is the spec charts, use it for whatever:

These charts are from Kawasaki, remember these are hp ratings at the wheel, not sure what Kawi says about the engine hp ratings themselves, but power at the wheel is really what matters and weight.

·
Super Moderator
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Idk why you guys are getting all bent out of shape about the HP, when theres such a small gap the handling capabilities of the bike are more than capable of making up for a 10hp diff.

That and there is no F-ing way the 07 zx6r is running a 13.9:1 compression ratio, I would have to be running something a little nicer than premium pump gas to keep it from detonating if that were the case.

·
Registered
554 Posts
im not getting bent out of shape, i was just sating they a seemed a little off to me

1 - 18 of 18 Posts