Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I started again to do trackdays with my zx6r 03-04. I am on the slowest group but event on my slow pace I get so much tire wear :confused:

I didn't have any luck with rebuilding original shock (it was hard) and event with 09-12 shock. I also tired to rebuild it. As you will see in the picture it looks that I don't have enough rebound damping. I ride on Metzeler Sportec M7 RR tyres. The track is left corners dominant so the main wear is on left tyre side.
Anyway since I am slow rider and I don't see any reason to invest into new aftermarket shock I was thinking maybe I could mount zx6r shock from year 2013 ?

I made some research on Ohlin's page and it looks that 03-04 has:
Length: 340
Rate N/mm:100
Stroke: 74

zx6r 2013-2021 has:
Length: 341 +2/-4
Stroke: 64
no specs about spring rate

So here is the only difference in 10mm on shock stroke which I think should be fine.

I would like to find any advice from your experience before I will make any order online. I am located in Europe so there are much less to chose from. In USA these OEM shocks sell very cheap. I don't know why in Europe OEM shocks are so expensive. :rolleyes:

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
15,977 Posts
Buying a used aftermarket shock that is designed to be rebuilt is your best option. That way you can get the rates and the spring set for your use instead of hoping an OEM POS that is not set up for you personally will be 'good enough'.

I don't ride on the track, just at somewhat elevated pace on country roads which have widely changing levels of quality in surface...... one of the best things I have done to my '09, was to buy the Penske shock I have on there now. So much more confidence inspiring when you don't even think about suspension action -- just point, and go.

When I spoke with the shop that ordered my Penske the owner I was working with commented that the dimensions of the rear shock installation were the same from '05 to present (back in 2019 or so when I got that shock).

Until you have a shock with the proper damping and spring, worrying about anything else is kind of a waste of time. Some return, but with a lot of variation due to circumstances beyond your control. Similar to cat herding.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't want massively invest in my 03 zx-6R because I am quite tall ant I don't fit very well on this bike. Maybe I could search for aftermarket footpegs ant it should help a little bit :rolleyes:
Anyway before I order any newer generation bike at first I want to fit in intermediate group during trackdays. Now I still ride in the slowest group but second by second I'm getting my lap times better. And I like this good old zx-6R I own it for more than 5 years and learn a lot about motorcycles by maintaining it and riding it.
Today I ordered 2021 zx-6R rear shock and will try it on my 03 zx-6R. I will not rebuild it or do anything just swap it and that's all.
Previously I swaped OEM with 09-12 zx-6R shock but I change oil in it and i think I lost settings because the viscosity of oil I use (iPone) was not the same. I tried different shims but without testing equipment it is not possible to go back on OEM settings.
On my pace if rider has good experience and knows what to do he could ride with completely loose suspension and would not crash and still make better times than me :ROFLMAO: Experience is the most important. I see on youtube many riders buy new bikes, buy some expensive aftermarket shit, make lots of modifications, but I am 100% sure on track they would not overtake old Suzuki SV with experienced rider on it

·
Registered
15,977 Posts
There are a number of good books on racing and riding that may help..... Post up an introduction, let us know where you are riding... We like picture.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
I don't want massively invest in my 03 zx-6R because I am quite tall ant I don't fit very well on this bike. Maybe I could search for aftermarket footpegs ant it should help a little bit :rolleyes:
Anyway before I order any newer generation bike at first I want to fit in intermediate group during trackdays. Now I still ride in the slowest group but second by second I'm getting my lap times better. And I like this good old zx-6R I own it for more than 5 years and learn a lot about motorcycles by maintaining it and riding it.
Today I ordered 2021 zx-6R rear shock and will try it on my 03 zx-6R. I will not rebuild it or do anything just swap it and that's all.
Previously I swaped OEM with 09-12 zx-6R shock but I change oil in it and i think I lost settings because the viscosity of oil I use (iPone) was not the same. I tried different shims but without testing equipment it is not possible to go back on OEM settings.
On my pace if rider has good experience and knows what to do he could ride with completely loose suspension and would not crash and still make better times than me :ROFLMAO: Experience is the most important. I see on youtube many riders buy new bikes, buy some expensive aftermarket shit, make lots of modifications, but I am 100% sure on track they would not overtake old Suzuki SV with experienced rider on it
$1000 investment in a brand new built just for you shock for your 03/04......you could remove and put right on to any newer zx6r if you buy another zx6r in the future

You would certainly feel the difference

that said..........

properly set up suspension saves on tire wear and in the long run especially doing lots of trackdays it will pay for itself in the savings you get by your tires lasting longer

pretty typical..... I have had customers go from buying 7 rear tires and 4 front a year to only needing 6 rears and 3 fronts riding the same 14-15 trackday events each year........
$400 set of tires saved.................. 2 years and boom the shock is paid for (almost), 2 mmore years and the Ak20's are paid for (almost)

but I have also had some cut their tire use in half and ridden more (saving more than $1200 a year in tires....so both of these guys paid for their suspension in just two years via tire savings).... which is huge and telling---their old suspension was hot garbage and actually ruining their tires............. I would never expect this kind of result or savings, but it does and can happen.........

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ride in Lithuania (Europe). We have only one race track in our country and few small tracks. And this track is very old and quite dangerous with worn-out surface and I will not talk what happens if you are experienced rider and get a crash....
I do check tire pressures carefully. I ride on Metzelers M7RR front and rear. The last trackday I was on 33.5 Psi (hot) front and 32.5 Psi (hot) rear and air temperature was about 22 degrees Celsius.
I completely understand about benefits of good shock but not on my skill level. These tires I bought new about 2016 or 2017 and I also ride sometimes on public roads so in picture you see the tire after about 5 years of use including trackdays :D
In my situation it would be better just to buy newer bike which would solve my fitment issue but my skill level is nowhere near even for this bike and setup.
Here are some old video of experienced riders in front is 1000cc and the one with camera is zx6r. Just to imagine the difference: they do about 1:15 min./lap and I do 1:41 min./lap :D
I remember few years ago some guy with same old 03-04 zx6r made 1:22 min./lap and the bike has no modifications:)

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
If you are getting 6 or 7 years out of a tire.............

There is no reason to change anything.......... except your riding habits, more seat time for sure!!!

That track surface looks much better than the local track here in Minneshithole but the trees and guardrails certainly curtail some enthusiam and safety..........

·
Registered
682 Posts
I completely understand about benefits of good shock but not on my skill level.
I think you are wrong on this. You may never be good enough to get everything out of your bike (I'm certainly not), but you would find quality suspension makes it safer and more enjoyable to ride and improve your skills. Since the bike is older you may be able to find a used shock for it and have it serviced for far less than a new shock costs. Until you ride good suspension you don't know what you are missing and it's quite a lot.

These tires I bought new about 2016 or 2017 and I also ride sometimes on public roads so in picture you see the tire after about 5 years of use including trackdays :D
How many km's do you get out of a rear tire? I'm pretty easy on tires and never get more than about 7000-7500km out of a rear on the street. Hopefully you are riding more than that in 5 years.

Mark

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hello,

I started again to do trackdays with my zx6r 03-04. I am on the slowest group but event on my slow pace I get so much tire wear :confused:

I didn't have any luck with rebuilding original shock (it was hard) and event with 09-12 shock. I also tired to rebuild it. As you will see in the picture it looks that I don't have enough rebound damping. I ride on Metzeler Sportec M7 RR tyres. The track is left corners dominant so the main wear is on left tyre side.
Anyway since I am slow rider and I don't see any reason to invest into new aftermarket shock I was thinking maybe I could mount zx6r shock from year 2013 ?

I made some research on Ohlin's page and it looks that 03-04 has:
Length: 340
Rate N/mm:100
Stroke: 74

zx6r 2013-2021 has:
Length: 341 +2/-4
Stroke: 64
no specs about spring rate

So here is the only difference in 10mm on shock stroke which I think should be fine.

I would like to find any advice from your experience before I will make any order online. I am located in Europe so there are much less to chose from. In USA these OEM shocks sell very cheap. I don't know why in Europe OEM shocks are so expensive. :rolleyes:

View attachment 111391
Yeah you can get a stock ZX6R 2022 rear shock for pretty darn cheap. I think the rear shock is actually really really good too. I am not a racer at all. I drive 100% on the street, but I have been riding for about 13 years now, and I have owned a lot of motorcycles. The newer Gen ZX6R’s have great stock suspension right out of the box. It feels amazing to me anyways Lol.

I think a new rear OEM shock would probably transform your bike all together.

I think I’d probably stick to your 03/04 ZX6 instead of buying a new bike for the track. Something you can drop, scratch, and not worry too much about. But also something you can modify and fine tune to your skill level and progress with.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
big thanks everyone for the answers ;)
In the last two-three years I don't ride a lot. Mainly I just do few trackdays in a year. In Lithuania we have all seasons so mainly we have 3-4 months of acceptable weather. Of course you can ride even more but it will be like +5 C degrees Celsius :D

Will try to adapt 2021 shock. After some deeper research it looks like there is also a difference in shock/wheel motion ratios between various generations of zx6r but for example from 2013 to 2021 Ohlins gives the same shock and spring. So mainly will be three different variables between 2003 and 2021:
1) shock/wheel motion ratio;
2) shock stroke;
3) spring rate.

·
Registered
Braking Zone Leg Dangler
276 Posts
What psi did you run. I’d suggest getting it set for your weight. I know I need to for mine. And I didn’t have as much as you did a bit more uniform.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What psi did you run. I’d suggest getting it set for your weight. I know I need to for mine. And I didn’t have as much as you did a bit more uniform.
Front: 33.5 Psi (HOT)
Rear: 32.5 Psi (HOT)

I will buy a new set of tires. These Metzeler Sportec M7RR I will put on my other bike because I got big puncture on it and these tires almost like new and the only big wear is on the rear left side (because of the track).
I am thinking to try Pirelli Diablo Rosso III. Of course the tire will not solve suspension issues and these Metzelers are great tires but just want to try something different :)

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have this same bike...EVERYTHING about it is kick ass EXCEPT for the OEM rear shock:( I don't ride track...but I feel like you do need to get some FOOTpegs to set your riding postion/confortable place ...BEFORE you start replacing /adjusting the rear shock.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts