Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading about people using a 03/04 636 header on different years; including on a 08 ZX6R. Have any of you guys or girls heard any truth to this? If so, will it bolt right up without any mods? Just looking for a header instead of selling my slip on and purchasing a new full exhaust. I've looked at Pinebox and MJS but this header looks and will work the same as:dunno. I know I've even ready someone on here talking about it but I just want to confirm before I spend some cash. Thanks to all who post.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I've never heard of people using the 03/04 header on anything other than the first gen 636 and J model ZX6R's. They're cheap and easy to find. I'd say F it, buy one, and try it out. Worst case you can just sell it to someone else.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea they are cheap...I think thats why I'm really asking this question. I'm just afraid that if it doesn't work. I'll end up breaking down and buying something more expensive. Since I would have the bike apart at the time. :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hear that there is a tight clearance with the oil pan and such but that really shouldnt be a problem. Here is one post I found and it looks like to me that he actually got it to fit but he is running his exhaust out the side unlike mine under the tail...here see for yourself. www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-6r-forum/40982-they-fit.html
I PM this user as he is on this site as well but still waiting for a response.

ZX-Racer - if your saying they wont fit. Could you please explain why?
Wish I knew more about Kawi's because I like swaping parts from different years to customize my bike. Being this is my first one I'm still learning; so bare with me.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
spacing between the header tubes is different and your going to run into problems with the oil pan on the 03-04 header.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Damn it ZX why do you have to crush my hopes and dreams like that. :) Well has anyone heard of putting any other year of header on an 08? I just want to get rid of that lunch box can of a cat under my bike

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guess I should of gotten a 636 then huh.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
They fit from '98 to '06 as far as I know. You could probably get it to fit with a lil work.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Get it cut off & weld a section of pipe to replace it.
You could do that, but it'll mess with the backpressure on the system, so a tune may need to be done to get the bike to accept that setup. That and it may look like a hack job if not done right. It's under the bike, so that may not even matter to you.

As far as clearance under the oil pan goes, I've read of people that bolt up the header and then put a pipe into the collector to bend it slightly to make a little more room. This was on a J model bike though.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea Larry was going to say the same thing about the back pressure. I want something in there besides just a straight pipe...few bends here and there. Would be like running open headers and I dont want to burn up my valves. I have heard on Kawi's though that the issue with burning your valves is not the case due to a few things but anyways. I also have read about, once connecting the mid pipe all they did was bend a little to get just a little more clearance. Figured thats what i could do and just heat wrap the headers to be that more careful. That link i posted shows an 08 with 04 636 headers...so I'm about to say fu*** the BS and just try. The header spacing issue that ZX mentioned...I figured it was the same engine just maybe a slightly bigger bore for a 636 so the spacing shouldn't be any different.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Yea Larry was going to say the same thing about the back pressure. I want something in there besides just a straight pipe...few bends here and there. Would be like running open headers and I dont want to burn up my valves. I have heard on Kawi's though that the issue with burning your valves is not the case due to a few things but anyways. I also have read about, once connecting the mid pipe all they did was bend a little to get just a little more clearance. Figured thats what i could do and just heat wrap the headers to be that more careful. That link i posted shows an 08 with 04 636 headers...so I'm about to say fu*** the BS and just try. The header spacing issue that ZX mentioned...I figured it was the same engine just maybe a slightly bigger bore for a 636 so the spacing shouldn't be any different.
What exactly do you think the '03-'04 headers do? There is no CAT, and they flow freely. THAT is why people do the swap (along with being able to use slip-on's).:coocoo Cutting the CAT on your current headers would do the same thing that those headers do.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know Kone...dont get all worked up :) If i had access to a welder i'm I wouldn't even be asking any of this. The government just doesnt pay good enough for me to purchase one....hell It's bad enough that I have to worry if I'm getting paid at all. I'm so jealous of the guy making all that money with thoes PineBoxes...such easy money there.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Wasn't gettin worked up man. I just didn't see the logic in that post.
If you know how to weld....Home Depot will rent you one.
Wish that I knew how to weld. There's a lot of stuff that I'd make.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
I know Kone...dont get all worked up :) If i had access to a welder i'm I wouldn't even be asking any of this. The government just doesnt pay good enough for me to purchase one....hell It's bad enough that I have to worry if I'm getting paid at all. I'm so jealous of the guy making all that money with thoes PineBoxes...such easy money there.
your best bet is to get the cat dut off your stock header and weld a piece of pipe in its place. thats wat most 07-08 zx6r riders are doing with good results. the 03-04 636 header is popular with the 98-02 zx6r riders bc it opens up more exhaust selection.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I know Kone...dont get all worked up :) If i had access to a welder i'm I wouldn't even be asking any of this.
Any muffler shop(that does welding) in you're area should be able to weld a pipe to the header for you for pretty cheap. Just call a few and see what they say.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. May just buy a stock set of headers and weld that pipe on there. My headers on there are not in the best of shape. The bike sounds and runs good as is right now. I think I'm just going to buy a set of HIDs. I confuse myself towards what I want to buy next. I start thinking of one thing but then swing towards something else

1 - 20 of 23 Posts