Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

03/04/05/06 ZX636 ZX6R speedo upgrade

114K views 365 replies 169 participants last post by  Aliwil 
#1 ·
Hello ZX6R forum!
I'm extr400 from Kawiforums (and same profile on here now too) :hmmm:
Just wanted to publicise a project that I've had running to use the new style dial gauges (from 2007 bikes onwards) on the 03 to 06 bikes that used the LCD style clocks.

Well the good news is that the project is finished now and thanks to several forum members that have been willing test victims, I now have a plug and play solution to make the upgrade be seamless and easy.

The new style speedo gives you the better looking moving dial tacho and LCD speed readout. Its also much better for track use as its easier to register what a dial gauge is telling you than the LCD tacho graph, on a quick glance.

The trick feature is that the adapter calculates the gear from the difference between the speed and tacho signals and sends an extra digital signal to the new speedo to work the gear readout. This also stops the annoying red FI light from flashing :crazy

The engine signals are all a bit different between model years, so the adapter adjusts them to be correct for the new speedo. Essentially this is doing a speedo healer function, so it was logical to allow some extra variation to take account of custom final drive sprocket sizes. There is a Windows PC interface program that talks over USB to set up the adapter.

Since its a community led project I have kept costs as low as possible. Am currently selling them to forum members for US$50 and $10 post (international signed for delivery) - they are made by me in Scotland.

I'm an electronics engineer by trade, so have tried to make it as good as any commercial product.

Have limited numbers available, but can build more on demand. Please PM me if your interested.
Cheers
extr400

Attachments

See less See more
#338 ·
I recently purchased one of these off of extr400. I have since purchased a new bike and will not be installing this on my bike.

I’ve spoken to extr400 and he okay d me to re sell it to whomever might Be wanting one. He will also carry forward the warranty to whomever purchases it.

Feel free to PM me if anyone is interested. Also have a cluster I can sell with it as well.
Thanks

#347 ·
I certainly have to think so. I’m quite sure that you are responsible for keeping a lot of older bikes in service on a global scale which would otherwise have been scrapped. While I have not used your swizzle, it’s obvious that it’s well constructed and does what is claimed. And fairly priced.