Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
261 - 280 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
Kawasaki Ninja 636C
3 Posts
Hello ZX6R forum!
I'm extr400 from Kawiforums (and same profile on here now too) :hmmm:
Just wanted to publicise a project that I've had running to use the new style dial gauges (from 2007 bikes onwards) on the 03 to 06 bikes that used the LCD style clocks.

Well the good news is that the project is finished now and thanks to several forum members that have been willing test victims, I now have a plug and play solution to make the upgrade be seamless and easy.

The new style speedo gives you the better looking moving dial tacho and LCD speed readout. Its also much better for track use as its easier to register what a dial gauge is telling you than the LCD tacho graph, on a quick glance.

The trick feature is that the adapter calculates the gear from the difference between the speed and tacho signals and sends an extra digital signal to the new speedo to work the gear readout. This also stops the annoying red FI light from flashing :crazy

The engine signals are all a bit different between model years, so the adapter adjusts them to be correct for the new speedo. Essentially this is doing a speedo healer function, so it was logical to allow some extra variation to take account of custom final drive sprocket sizes. There is a Windows PC interface program that talks over USB to set up the adapter.

Since its a community led project I have kept costs as low as possible. Am currently selling them to forum members for US$50 and $10 post (international signed for delivery) - they are made by me in Scotland.

I'm an electronics engineer by trade, so have tried to make it as good as any commercial product.

Have limited numbers available, but can build more on demand. Please PM me if your interested.
Cheers
extr400
Hello!
I am interested to buy an adaptor for dial gauges if you still make those. I have a Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R 2005 (same display as 2003 - 2004) and I want to install a ZX6R 2007 - 2008 display. If you still make those adaptors please tell me the price. I live in Romania so I need shipping too.Cheers!

·
Banned
2019 ZX-6R
7 Posts
Hello ZX6R forum!
I'm extr400 from Kawiforums (and same profile on here now too) :hmmm:
Just wanted to publicise a project that I've had running to use the new style dial gauges (from 2007 bikes onwards) on the 03 to 06 bikes that used the LCD style clocks.

Well the good news is that the project is finished now and thanks to several forum members that have been willing test victims, I now have a plug and play solution to make the upgrade be seamless and easy.

The new style speedo gives you the better looking moving dial tacho and LCD speed readout. Its also much better for track use as its easier to register what a dial gauge is telling you than the LCD tacho graph, on a quick glance.

The trick feature is that the adapter calculates the gear from the difference between the speed and tacho signals and sends an extra digital signal to the new speedo to work the gear readout. This also stops the annoying red FI light from flashing :crazy

The engine signals are all a bit different between model years, so the adapter adjusts them to be correct for the new speedo. Essentially this is doing a speedo healer function, so it was logical to allow some extra variation to take account of custom final drive sprocket sizes. There is a Windows PC interface program that talks over USB to set up the adapter.

Since its a community led project I have kept costs as low as possible. Am currently selling them to forum members for US$50 and $10 post (international signed for delivery) - they are made by me in Scotland.

I'm an electronics engineer by trade, so have tried to make it as good as any commercial product.

Have limited numbers available, but can build more on demand. Please PM me if your interested.
Cheers
extr400
Still available?

·
Registered
Kawasaki Ninja 636C
3 Posts
Well, I just received the adaptor. Looks like factory made, wrapped in bubble foil and antistatic bag. Just swaped the gauge, ride it few km. It's a pleasure to look at the new gauge.
I must be complete retard not to say THANK YOU extr400 !!!
P.S. I have a cheap zx6r 2005 gauge. :p

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, I just received the adaptor. Looks like factory made, wrapped in bubble foil and antistatic bag. Just swaped the gauge, ride it few km. It's a pleasure to look at the new gauge.
Is the cluster a direct bolt on to the fairing stay? Since they are different sizes ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can you post some pics of the upgrade? I'm super curious about this mod. TIA

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #279 ·
Hi Joe, Thanks for posting these pictures!

Installed 09-12 speedo on 05 zx6r yesterday. The speedo was a direct fit no need for custom bracket and the piece @extr400 created fits perfectly behind. Went for a ride to test it out and everything works perfectly love that I can see the gear im in. Love the look of it compared to the ugly stock one. I HIGHLY recommend, very easy to use the program to set it up and load the specs for any sprocket setup u have. Thanks @extr400 for your quick responses to my questions and super fast shipping to New York from the UK. View attachment 105669 View attachment 105670 View attachment 105671 View attachment 105672 View attachment 105673 View attachment 105674

261 - 280 of 291 Posts