Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys here it goes, lets see if any of you old school carb guru's can help a brother out...

My friend has an 02 J model that has been having a 1st gear "hesitation", or almost like a stall just off idle 1500~2500rpm range. Just after that, the bike wakes up and takes off like normal. i would say 8/10 it does this.

First thing i suggested to my friend was a thorough carb cleaning and balancing which had been done by yours truly and put back in the bike, only to exhibit the same situation. BTW, these carbs were fairly clean, no real signs of being plugged up in any way, as this kid does ride almost every day...

while i was in there, i noticed that no one had ever drilled out the pilots, which i did and cleaned those along with rest of the carb, top to bottom.

well, since the first time didnt work, i figured i had missed something, and took the carbs apart and cleaned it AGAIN, and surprise, surprise, no change. Then i figured, maybe they just needed to be jetted properly, so I took the carbs out a third time, jetted it with dynojet 122,124 and shimmed the needle 3rd notch up from the bottom. BTW ,the bike has a full D&D with K&N. So, the bike really takes off now above 3k, but anything below that it sounds like there is a miss or like its only running on 3 cylinders. :cry:

So, that's about it, does anyone have an idea of whats going on? Im gunna pull the plugs and make sure they aren't fouled. I'm also going to go back down on the jets and see if just shimming the needle will help some.

Thanks in advance!!!
Dan

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
well you didnt really solve the problem with a jet kit and you wont with a typical one since they give you different main jets and needles which neither are used during the 1500-2500rpm range. thats what pilot jets are used for. doing anything with the mains or needles wont do anything in the lower rpms, so if it takes off like a rocket keep those settings. did you adjust the air/fuel screw properly? find the highest possible idle without any lag in the throttle?

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Check the float heights make sure they are correct! And check all the pilot jets one could have a small piece or sedimate or rust in it cuasing it not to flow right creating a miss!
Another thing how many turns out are the fuel screws they should be between 2 and 3 turns out! Maybe more start at 2.5 turns out from a soft seat and go from there to get you idle and off idle performance right! But first upon first check the pilot jets stupid little jets can give you lots of headaches throw a filter on the fuel line save the guy some headaches later on!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! The pilots are free and clear, as i made sure of that the first and second time i cleaned the carbs. I am going to check the float heights today when i get to my buddys place. I think the spec is 7mm +-1mm ??? Also, I have the idle/air mixtures set at 3 turns out. I didn't "fine tune" the idle air mixtures, but even if the idle/air mixture isn't exactly the same for each cylinder, I don't think 1/2 turn is going to cause it to run like it is... I will play with it tonight and get back to you all with the results. =) Thanks guys!

Dan

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One thing i did read up on, was getting a set of size 15 pilot jets...do you guys think this is a good idea? Has anyone else ever replaced their pilots?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
you can if you want to, no real harm in doing it unless you run it really lean or rich. it might help but 1/2 turn will change how the bike idles

·
Registered
715 Posts
Yeh, 1/2 a turn will take it from idling fine at about 1.5k to about 3.5k. At least that's what happened to me. You need to really, very carefully fine tune those A/F mixture screws.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
what is the factory size pilot jet? going up a few notches in pilot jet size prob wont hurt! +2 on the fuel screws get them atleast 1/4turn to each other I try to get them within a 1/8 turn of each other! Remember these carbs are magical works of art they have to be done correctly or you will never get them correct! I dont know how many times I have heard people say they have cleaned the carbs or tuned them and still having issues and I go back through them and find all kinds of stuff wrong on them! I even make mistakes on them!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sooo, float levels were out of spec so I fixed that. And then I decided to change the shim on the needle back to the notch that dynojet recommends to get back to a "basic setting point"... in the process of putting it all back together I managed to break the vacuum slide.:rant the little tangs that hold the needle into the base of the slide snapped when I was pressing it back in....Fjsoxjneisj!!! So, out of shear desperation....does anyone happen to have a spare slide body laying around?? Lol I don't care about the diaphragm as mine is still in good shape. Kawi wants like 80 beans just for the slide body!!! That's not even with the stinkin diaphragm! Anywho...looks like I'm at a standstill until I can get a new one. Thanks for all your feedback guys! Keep em comin!!

Dan

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
wow out of all the carbs ive cleaned i have never broken a slide. they usually just...slide right in no need to force them.

$50 is a straight up steal, id take them if i didnt have my own

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
wow out of all the carbs ive cleaned i have never broken a slide. they usually just...slide right in no need to force them.

$50 is a straight up steal, id take them if i didnt have my own
just tryin to help my fellow zx6 riders out :)

wow, that is an awesome deal. If I cant find another carb slide, ill take you up on them, thanks man!
no problem man let me no.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts