Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

After a lot of searching it's time to bite the bullet and ask.........
Would anyone happen have a copy of a '02 ZX636-A1 Service Manual they would be willing to share?
Suitable for VIN# JKBZXJAxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for your time and help.

·
Registered
14,878 Posts
I'm thinking there's a mismatch somewhere.....

In the US, a 636 motor was installed in '05-'06, & '13-present.

To the best of my knowledge, '02 would have been a 600.

·
Registered
17 Posts
HI the 636 came onto the european market only in feb 2002 i have got a 2003 feb a1p
i have the haynes manual for 95 -02 zx600 and 636 ,zx-6r did you need to know something

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
Hi Everyone,

After a lot of searching it's time to bite the bullet and ask.........
Would anyone happen have a copy of a '02 ZX636-A1 Service Manual they would be willing to share?
Suitable for VIN# JKBZXJAxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for your time and help.
JKB.. That means it was built in Lincoln Nebraska, not Akashi Japan, interesting since that model was never sold in the states.
I've never been able to find a pdf manual for the A1P, but it's very similar to the J models except for its extra 37cc, so for most of your maintence work you should be able to use the J model manual.

I'm thinking there's a mismatch somewhere.....

In the US, a 636 motor was installed in '05-'06, & '13-present.

To the best of my knowledge, '02 would have been a 600.
You're pretty far off considering that the 636 was released world wide in '03. In '02 they stuffed some carburetted 636 motors in the J model chassis and sold them in Europe and Canada as the ZX636A1P, not really sure why. But the next year they rolled out the brand new, totally redesigned, and fuel injected ZX636B1H. That's why what most people think of as the "first gen 636 (03-04)" is a "B"model and not an "A" model.

Reactions: RJ2112

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input.
EvilTwin is on the money. This is one of the Carby 636's sold into Australia.

I've had it for 13 years - a great reliable bike (up until now), that as a quick transition from a 250 (learner restriction in AU) is a very stable bike on the road.

Sadly Cylinder 4 has decided to stop. It happened in the middle of a ride, and started giving a strong smell of unburnt fuel. Initial thought is that the coil pack or plug might be dead, so entering a process of elimination.
Getting to all of that however is a bit of a challenge, as I'm not particularly mechanically minded - so the safety of some references before diving into some fault finding provides a little piece of mind.

·
Registered
14,878 Posts
JKB.. That means it was built in Lincoln Nebraska, not Akashi Japan, interesting since that model was never sold in the states.
I've never been able to find a pdf manual for the A1P, but it's very similar to the J models except for its extra 37cc, so for most of your maintence work you should be able to use the J model manual.

You're pretty far off considering that the 636 was released world wide in '03. In '02 they stuffed some carburetted 636 motors in the J model chassis and sold them in Europe and Canada as the ZX636A1P, not really sure why. But the next year they rolled out the brand new, totally redesigned, and fuel injected ZX636B1H. That's why what most people think of as the "first gen 636 (03-04)" is a "B"model and not an "A" model.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, after much swapping I’m pretty convinced it’s a spark plug issue. Managed to move the problem from Cylinder 4 to 3..... It’s always the last thing you try ?

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
So, after much swapping I’m pretty convinced it’s a spark plug issue. Managed to move the problem from Cylinder 4 to 3..... It’s always the last thing you try ?
Is the spark plug dirty and black? Have you checked the gap?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, fairly significant carbon build up. Ducked out of work ealier and grabbed some new plugs. Gap has been set, now to get out of the office...........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts