Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new and I'm looking for some help with my 2002 ninja 600j3. I have tried to install a new speedometer but it wasn't matching up so I decided to wire in the original one for the bike while doing so I accidentally clipped one of the wires too short and now I'm looking to just unpin the meter plug to replace said wire because it's impossible to connect to now. Anyone have any idea how to unpin a meter lead I have a picture below I'm trying to unpin the RPM wire because that is the one I screwed up. T
Hand Light Gesture Finger Thumb

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Isn't it just like every other electrical connector of its type.........

slide thin tool in slot
it depresses a tab
you slide the connector out of the plastic housing

look in there with a flashlight.... a magnifying glass if you need (old and waining eyesight?)

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
I honestly didn’t have the heart to discuss this one.
yep..... seeing the low quality of work on those butt connectors and knowing the space limitations and likelihood of numerous issues.............

OP

isn't that just an isolated front harness that can be replaced for sub $100........?

why not just replace it?? pretty sure this is it..........

HARNESS,FR
26030-1779
$85.82

Reactions: RJ2112

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Isn't it just like every other electrical connector of its type.........

slide thin tool in slot
it depresses a tab
you slide the connector out of the plastic housing

look in there with a flashlight.... a magnifying glass if you need (old and waining eyesight?)
It's not like any other connector I've seen especially on the bike I'm trying to avoidreplacing the harness because not it isn't just an cable lead that I can replace it's direct into the main harness. I've tried everything a paper clip and many little too to lift said tab and it doesn't seem to be working. . I paid $200 for this bike out of someone's back yard and have already sunk enough money into it these connections are going to be covered by the harness the boot so I don't care what they look like as long as they are solid. I'll post a better picture of the plug and you two geniuses can maybe try and help. I figure it out. I am no pro at wiring what so ever and I've in pinned plugs before but this one is different. It has a little security flap on the side of it. I don't want to have to buy a entire new harness as I started before because then I have to go through and remove the entire thing to replace it when there is only a problem with this plug.
Hand Chile de árbol Finger Cayenne pepper Peperoncini

Light Finger Electrical wiring Cable Thumb

Hand Automotive tire Finger Thumb Nail

Attachments

·
Registered
14,692 Posts
I haven't tried to unpin the harness you are trying to work on. all I can say is that there is a barb on the contact that is crimped onto the wire that latches into the plastic body of the plug, when the contact is inserted. Squeezing that barb flush to the contact, so the barb doesn't stick out to latch the contact in place is how you remove the contact. It typically has to go in slightly (while you are squeezing the barb into the contact), before it will come out. I'm guessing from looking at the empty plug body you have, that the latch/defeat is done with the small rectangular hole below the one the contact goes into.

·
Registered
14,692 Posts
FWIW, it's never a good idea to try and splice a bunch of wires at exactly the same length.... when the thicker splice gets involved, that makes the route the wires have to go longer. By the time you splice a dozen at exactly the same distance, the last one you try and do will cause a lot of flex on the rest as you have to shove them around to get enough slack to do the job.

If they are staggered, so only one or at most two are in parallel, it's a lot less painful.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Those small square/rectangular holes under the actual connector plug ins.......... those are the release mechanism

so yes this connector is just like every other connector of the type I have ever seen.........

It is a you problem not a some special never before seen connector problem

and like RJ said, sometimes you need to push the actual connector slightly in to the body then depress that lock tab on the connector then slide the connector out of the body

there are a couple of special tools available made just for this, but I have found some welding tip cleaners or even a ground down super small screwdriver to work just as good and sometimes better

Reactions: RJ2112
1 - 8 of 8 Posts