Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
I have an 01 zx6r and I am in need of a new muffler for inspection purposes (mine is gutted and apparently too loud...). I have been searching ebay and there is nothing that I can find which is like my exhaust (see photos). I found an 99 zx9r muffler which has similar bolts to where it can connect to the pipe, but I am unsure if the dimensions are the same. I am unsure what to do. My exhaust does not have the metal down the middle where the muffler packing can be wrapped around either. I have found a muffler from an 06 cbr that is still stock, so it should be quiet enough. What should I do in this situation? I have about a month to figure it out before the inspection, and most items from ebay will take about that time to ship to my house (im from Canada). I am open to any advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have done some more searching and have found this on ebay as well. It is for a 98-99 zx6r, so I think I'm going to risk it and purchase, unless there are any better ideas within the next day or so!
Here's the link: shorturl.at/egqSY (short URL because ebay is weird)

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
Whatever the brand that aftermarket muffler may be, it looks like it is serviceable….. as in, designed to be maintained. You should be able to take it apart and replace the packing material (fiberglass mat) for a fraction of the cost of replacing the thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whatever the brand that aftermarket muffler may be, it looks like it is serviceable….. as in, designed to be maintained. You should be able to take it apart and replace the packing material (fiberglass mat) for a fraction of the cost of replacing the thing.
I’ve definitely considered that, but wouldn’t there be issues because I don’t have anywhere to secure the interior metal piece which the fiberglass is wrapped around? I don’t have many resources available to me to be able to do that i don’t think

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
G model muffler will bolt up
as will the zx7r and zx9r mufflers of the same era
so will a 05-08 ZZR600 muffler

if all you want is something to pass sound test then go back to what you have, I have a couple of scratched up ZZR600 mufflers you could have---you pay the shipping charges

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
I’ve definitely considered that, but wouldn’t there be issues because I don’t have anywhere to secure the interior metal piece which the fiberglass is wrapped around? I don’t have many resources available to me to be able to do that i don’t think
You can see screws through the sheet metal at one end, and the nuts on the other. It’s much less complicated than you think at this point.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
y
G model muffler will bolt up
as will the zx7r and zx9r mufflers of the same era
so will a 05-08 ZZR600 muffler

if all you want is something to pass sound test then go back to what you have, I have a couple of scratched up ZZR600 mufflers you could have---you pay the shipping charges
Thanks for the advice and offer. Could you send me some pictures of those mufflers? Personal message me and we'll see if we can figure something out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts