Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Before posting this topic, I searched everywhere to get as much info as possible, but I am still left with a few unanswered questions.

First off, my bike is an 01 ZX6R, full yoshi exhaust, K&N drop in. DynoJet Stage 1. That's it for engine mods. My gearing is much lower than stock (15 front/38 rear) but this problem was even with my stock gearing.

Bike idles fine, starts easily, runs just fine on the top end to 14k but when I leave from a dead stop, using about 1/8 of throttle, she bogs down badly, and if I try to give it more gas, it almost stalls and idles with full throttle twisted. If I left off the throttle, she will die. If I hold 1/8 throttle steady from a dead stop, she will bog, but eventually clear up. It does the same when I am between 1500-2500 rolling.

I feel that the bike is running rich, I smell the idle and 1500-2500 rpm range and it also smells rich.
I have no idea what the previous owner did as far as engine mods or dynojet stage, but I have a hunch that it may be even a stage 2. I adjusted my pilot jet (per dynojet manual) to 2 1/2 turns. Bike still running rich. Set it to 2 turns, and the bog feels better. Still there but less. I am not sure if I want to turn inward any further but I'll give it a try.

I checked for vac leaks, none
I checked for carb sync, all in sync.
Checked fuel pump idle shutoff, yes shuts off
Checked TPS sensor, works and set properly
Fuel filter, new, and plenty of fuel flowing, Tank vent working properly
Cleaned carbs,

My next step would be to try 1 1/2 turns on the pilot and see if things get better, tho I feel it may be too lean? Or could the previous owner have installed a stage 2 kit and that's why I am running way too rich?

Any ideas?

****UPDATE****

So turns out that the previous owner set the needles on the 5th notch. Wayyy too rich!! I messed with the settings a bit, and set it to the 3rd notch (like the DynoJet manual says) and all my running problems are fixed. No more bogs or rich running. Set the Pilot Jet to 2 1/2 (as per DJ manual)

5th notch was way too rich

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
^^ carbed bike.... that being said you never checked your plugs?... also sounds like you are rich in lowend, try the pilot jets. did you try to run half choke?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^ carbed bike.... that being said you never checked your plugs?... also sounds like you are rich in lowend, try the pilot jets. did you try to run half choke?
Yeah, I changed my plugs and made sure they are gapped properly. I also did try the half choke trick and it makes the bog worse. I do think it is running rich.
I just feel than going under 2 turns, (since the dynojet manual calls for 2 1/2 turns) like 1 3/4 or 1 1/2 is too lean, but Ill keep testing and update this post. I guess if I have the pilot jet set to lean, the rest of the rpm and throttle range wont be too lean...I think

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Did you try cleaning your carbs? And does the bogging go away in mid to high rpms?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you try cleaning your carbs? And does the bogging go away in mid to high rpms?
I cleaned them completely.
And it does go away in mid to high rpms.

I tried a bunch or turns on the pilot screw, anywhere from 0 to 1/2 to 1 1/2 etc.. all the way up to 4 turns out. Apparently none of these settings seem to work. I guess Ill go get a rebuilt kit and a new stage 1 kit and re-do everything with fresh components.

·
Registered
44 Posts
What notch are your needles on and what jets?

I've got an 01 also. Yoshi RS-3, K&N too. I'm on the 4th notch with the stage 1 dynojet kit, but its a naked bike, so my intake is a bit different. oh yeah, I'm running 116 and 118 jets.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
What notch are your needles on and what jets?

I've got an 01 also. Yoshi RS-3, K&N too. I'm on the 4th notch with the stage 1 dynojet kit, but its a naked bike, so my intake is a bit different. oh yeah, I'm running 116 and 118 jets.
I just pulled the diaphragms off and checked the needles... They were on the fifth setting. I'm going to try your settings a.k.a. fourth setting.
I looked at the jet that's at the top and it says 125 on there. So I think I may be running rich too

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay so I am on the 4th notch and the bike is noticeably better! The bog is much, much less and I am able to roll off from a dead stop much better now. Still a little bit boggy, but miles better than what it was before.
Maybe I'll try the 3rd notch and see if that makes things better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is a picture of where it was before. I wonder what the hell the previous owner was thinking when he/she did that...

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
what size is your pilot jet? Main jets?

If it is the DJ kit, the main jets should be 128 - 132 - 132 - 128

·
Registered
44 Posts
my DJ stage one kit number 2188 has jets of 112 to 122. it says stock exhaust run 114 in outside cylinders and 116 in inside two. aftermarketexhaust and wide open baffles, it says 118 outside and 120 in inners. my setup is in between. im 116 outside and 118 inners and it feels right. just gottamess with it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what size is your pilot jet? Main jets?

If it is the DJ kit, the main jets should be 128 - 132 - 132 - 128
Yup. exactly the jets I have in there.

my DJ stage one kit number 2188 has jets of 112 to 122. it says stock exhaust run 114 in outside cylinders and 116 in inside two. aftermarketexhaust and wide open baffles, it says 118 outside and 120 in inners. my setup is in between. im 116 outside and 118 inners and it feels right. just gottamess with it.

I set my needles on the 3rd notch and all my bogging problems are gone! Bike runs great now!!

Thanks for all your help!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts