Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry guys if this has other postings. searched but didnt find any. any who. Just got my first bike. (noob i know). First day or two riding everything went great. then all the sudden my batt. went dead and of course the bike wouldnt start. charged the battery (ytx9-bs) (Right Batt?) Everything was fine. rode it the next day got on the highway to head home and died on the highway. (by died i mean bogged out with no power when i turned the throttle till it quit running) Waited 15-20 min started up fine drove home. rode the next day to work no problems. Then today rode around town for about an hour and it bogged out and died again. Any ideas of where to start. Im at a complete loss and out of my norm. I am mechaniclly inclinded just have no idea where to begin. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated Thanks :headbang:

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Maybe idle is to low and it dips down and cuts off. I have an 09 and mine did it. Raised the idle to spec and all is good.

·
Registered
657 Posts
At a guess from other posts I have read sounds like it could ve a vacuum lock blocked vent problem with the fuel tank. When it happens have you tried opening the fuel cap then see if it starts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Street hawk idle is set to around 1500 at warm. First time it happend i was running 70mph on the highway. dunx-hg thanks for the welcome and no i havent, but any ideas on how i can remedy it if thats it. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
818 Posts
welcome...

it could be one of many things. tank breather being the most likely but coils can pack in when hot.
next time it does it lift the fuel cap and if you hear a vacuum then the breather is blocked.
fuel filter and fuel pump/relay are other things to test but try the tank one first.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
i know this might be a far out guess
but i had a good old yam 250 and it kept part seizing on me when hot
hope you get it sorted
check everything mate or it could cost a lot dont ride it hard you sure
oil, water levels etc etc

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well just ran it till it quit again. sounds like a fuel issue. pull gas cap and no vaccum sound that i could hear. Started right back up though. found the vent hose blew in it and a ton of dirt and debis came out. Cleaned it all out going to run it around town and check it out. Thanks Guys. Hope it works.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts