Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys i recently had a incident with my 2006 zx6r, I was going down the road and actually hit a pothole in the middle of the road and it somehow had contact with the bolt through which you empty the engine oil by breaking the bolt and all of the oil leaked at spot, so my question is that can i replace the part or do i have to replace the whole engine?
please reply soon

·
Registered
157 Posts
If it just broke the bolt, replace it. If there's damage to the metal where the bolt screws in, this is your oil pan and needs replacing. You're nowhere near hunting for a new engine, just some parts :)

·
Registered
998 Posts
I'll say :coocoo. Just unbolt the pan use a new gasket and bolt the new one on using the correct torque. fill her back up

how deep was that hole anyway and I'm guessing you didn't have a bottom fairing at the time? Or did that stay in the hole

·
Registered
971 Posts
Wow, folded that bolt right up in there. No damage to your lower plastics? It's pretty simple really, replacing the oil pan. Just unbolt it from around the bottom circumference of the pan to engine. Just follow the bolt pattern around. Replace gasket, bolt up new pan in reverse order, fill with oil and enjoy. If you need help check out the service manual section. Download the PDF file for your model year and it will have step by step instructions on the complete tear down and rebuild for your model year.

·
Registered
13,657 Posts
After looking at the picture i believe that the metal is damaged,And i even found a new oil pan but now I need help Replacing it.
Dude. You needed to take pictures of the pothole, and your bike and then present the bill to the county/city/state that is supposed to maintain that road.

Other than that, the oil pan replacement is not a difficult repair. Follow the shop manual, use a criss cross pattern when you start to tighten the bolts and don't overdo the torque. The bolts are just supposed to squish the gasket to make the seal.

·
Registered
8,182 Posts
How far did you ride it after the pothole?

Are your wheels still straight?

service manual section has the service manual...

·
Registered
4,259 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok so i have ordered the new oil pan, gasket, and the drain plug and is there any advice you guys wanna give to me for installing them??

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
And how many quarts will i need??
Once you reinstall the oil pan do a full oil change with filter...the amount should show on your clutch cover... Oil change W/filter (Maybe 3.6l?)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts