Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey All :) Looking for advice on my 2000 zx6r please.

I've been having vacuum leak troubles with the carb ever since a rebuild last year. Today I discovered the tie down bolts for 2 of the 4 carb manifold clamps weren't tight. Unfortunately I bought the bike with all 4 bolts stripped, so I can't really tighten them to torque/till it feels tight.

I've checked for replacement parts (part number 92171-1155) and found some but it'll end up costing in the region of $45-50 landed! I'm wondering whether someone here has dealt with a similar situation and can advise what they did to make the bolts re-usable? Do people advise to just bite the bullet and pay the premium for new clamps and bolts?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,727 Posts
I'd buy new at any price....

$45 or $50 is cheap for the number of times you may well use them over the life of the bike........

nut stripped?.........

But you could run them(oe bolts) through the oe welded nut (on the strap), then thread a nut on yourself............
of course to tighten it securely you are going to have to finangle your fingers and tools to hold your added nut.............. thus why the oe nut is welded to the strap of the clamp

3mm allen of the bolt stripped?.........

buy new- you could cut a straight slot in them and use a straight bladed screwdriver, but come on........... Just buy new ones!

Reactions: slitza

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Are the heads of the bolts stripped, or is it the nut on the actual clamping band ?

*EDIT* rivers beat me to the punch

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies Rivers & Wildcard. I also thought of just sawing slots for a flathead screwdriver. It is the hex slots that are stripped and the bolts seem perfectly fine. I did notice that the clamps have been somewhat bent around the nut opening, so I suppose new is logical - the price and 2-3 week wait to ride again is what's killing it!
I'm surprised that $45 doesn't sound like a lot for 4 clamps - guess I'm still learning the true price of several parts!

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Thanks for the replies Rivers & Wildcard. I also thought of just sawing slots for a flathead screwdriver. It is the hex slots that are stripped and the bolts seem perfectly fine. I did notice that the clamps have been somewhat bent around the nut opening, so I suppose new is logical - the price and 2-3 week wait to ride again is what's killing it!
I'm surprised that $45 doesn't sound like a lot for 4 clamps - guess I'm still learning the true price of several parts!
It IS a lot for what is essentially a hose clamp, but overall in the scheme of ownership it isnt a lot of money.

If it were me, I would order a new set of clamps and just cut a slot for a flathead to get by until the new parts come in.

·
Registered
14,141 Posts
Hobbies are expensive. Your location makes that worse. Working on old bikes just moves the costs from purchasing the bike, to buying a new bike one piece at a time. :)

I'm sure you have considered buying a used bank of throttle bodies for spare parts? If the clamps come with it, long term you could have more local resources for the next scavenging adventure....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It IS a lot for what is essentially a hose clamp, but overall in the scheme of ownership it isnt a lot of money.

If it were me, I would order a new set of clamps and just cut a slot for a flathead to get by until the new parts come in.
I ended up doing this^^^

sawed grooves for a philips head screwdriver in each and will reassemble this weekend. Hopefully that'll fix it until I can order new ones!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts