Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my broken clutch cable the other day and took my bike for a test ride after. While it shifted gears just fine, my bike refused to get up and over the 45mph mark. Once it hit between 40-45mph it would sputter and get jerky, almost the feeling like running out of gas. I'm not sure if it has to do with the new cable or not. I doubt it, there's plenty of slack so it doesn't seem to be partially engaged. Also the spark plugs were just changed last year by the previous owner and the bike's been running fine up until this point

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Sounds like fuel delivery problem. might wanna take the carbs apart and give them good cleanin and check plugs to see how they look and if they need to be changed.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
i was just as surprised after i changed spark plugs and cleaned the K&N air filter. did that job before and had no issues.
All over sudden the bike is loosing power, especially when wind gusts hit the front ram air.

Turns out on my last maintenance with the spark plugs i wiggled on the carb air lines to much which revealed an old hole in each of the 3 hoses that come in from the front in between the 4 carbs.

Vacuum leaks cause this kind of issue since the leak causes loss of suction (sounds like a Dyson commercial) that will prevent the fuel from flowing into the float bowls quick enough to keep supplying the engine with enough fuel.

Don't look into anything else but all the hoses going to the air box, ram air, emission system and carbs. Since your bike started acting up out of nowhere, that will be the issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked the lines leading to/from the airbox and they were all connected, nothing seemed out of the ordinary. I also forgot to mention in the original post that the bike will rev fine if it's in neutral or in gear with the clutch in; I can hit redline. I'm not sure if it has to do with anything or will help solve the problem but I assumed it might narrow it down.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Did you take the air box off to check everything connecting to the carbs?

You can hit redline for about 1min solid. then it's out of gas in the float bowls...

Don't just check if they're connected. check for cracked hoses and holes on the connections.
I'd take 1 hose off, ben it in every way to inspect for cracks, then check bare connection pipes and put hose back on, Next.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
You have a vacuum leak definitely. Full fairings?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I changed my broken clutch cable the other day and took my bike for a test ride after. While it shifted gears just fine, my bike refused to get up and over the 45mph mark. Once it hit between 40-45mph it would sputter and get jerky, almost the feeling like running out of gas. I'm not sure if it has to do with the new cable or not. I doubt it, there's plenty of slack so it doesn't seem to be partially engaged. Also the spark plugs were just changed last year by the previous owner and the bike's been running fine up until this point
sounds like you may have dislodged something while you were changing the cable just go over it again and check for things that you may have missed.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
based on the speed it occurs, I'm saying 100% that it's an issue with the ram air balancing line.

For replacing the clutch cable, you'll have been up behind the front fairings. You'll likely have knocked one or both tubes (or just the one after the splitter) off the connection

It's part 92192B in the diagram I think is the problem here.

If you take these lines off anywhere, you end up running your carbs at atmospheric pressure. When the ram air intake pressurises (approx. 40 - 45 mph) it starts blowing fuel out of the breather tube because there's no pressure holding it back - the part I've pointed you towards is a pipe coming from the front of the intake, into the carb breather - it ensures that your carbs and airbox run at the same pressure. This provides the bike with more power because the vacuum difference (positive airbox/carb pressure, negative pressure (or Suction) from the cylinder on the intake stroke) is larger, and more mixture (air/fuel) can get into the cylinder whilst the valve is open; obviously the more mixture you burn in the correct ratio, the more power you're making.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
there is a intake pipe on the right of frame and and rests in between forks and the frame its about 3/4 inch thick the clutch cable runs over the top of it,like they say you might of knocked a pipe off,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts