Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boyfriends 2000 6R has got a few problems. The bike was owned by a bogan previously because it's full of zipties and duct tape. It runs fine but it needs work to pass a roadworthy. He's a mechanic but we're still having issues with a few things.

The speedo jumps wildly while riding the bike. You'll be doing 80 and the speedo shows 210 then it will fluctuate all spastically. Has this happened to anyone else before? Was it a problem with the actual cluster or the speed sensor? We've pulled the sensor out and it's placement is fine but it's pretty difficult to pinpoint the problem.

The previous owner has cut and resoldered the sidestand cut off switch down near the actual stand. The where it registers if the clutch is engaged or disengaged (Up near the bars) they have cut the wires completely. Anyone think of a reason why someone would do this?

Any help would be appreciated!

·
butiwasgoingtotashistatio ntopickupsumpowerconvrtr
2,762 Posts
The previous owner has cut and resoldered the sidestand cut off switch down near the actual stand. The where it registers if the clutch is engaged or disengaged (Up near the bars) they have cut the wires completely. Anyone think of a reason why someone would do this?
i dont really understand what he did with the switch..did he disable it?

·
Registered
956 Posts
Stripped out speedo gear? wiring clitch?..:confused

sounds like you should just turn in into a track bike!:devious

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sounds like it was a race/track bike....... all those symptons lead that way, other things to look for are drilled sump plug, oil cap, radiator cap, maybe wired hand grips.. damaged base of forks is also good place to look......... not that ex-racers are all bad, some are xclnt, just thought............

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
could the speed sensor be shorting out? get some pics up? dont know sounds like a do ya head in bike

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey Qwarkz,I dunno bout da wiring.But da speedo-I saw a thing on ebay called a speedo healer.Da guy is here in QLD in Brisbane area I think.His ebay shop is called superbikesupply.com.au he's where I got my K&N n PC111 from very reasonable guy.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I believe the jumpy speedo means the gear that drives the speedo cable is getting worn out or may have missing teeth.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I think that the 2000 model is electronic speedo not cable driven, so it isn't a cable issue, thats why if you gear up/down your sprockets you need to fit a speedo helaer.

·
Registered
751 Posts
He probably cut the sidestand switch/sensor for stunting. I did the same to mine. Like someone else said, I'd recommend a SpeedoHealer.

·
Registered
751 Posts
the little sensor thing can act up after being beat around for a while. i broke the whole rectifier/ voltage regulator bracket off from around the kickstand area from landin wheelies too hard.

·
Registered
97 Posts
sidestand switch....... how many race bikes have you seen with a stand.......... cant have it not starting in gear with a phantom stand............. stunting, yeah right, and a speedo healer!!! Just borrow an instrument cluster from a wrecker or friend, that will answer some Q's,.......... Gear drive!!!! what the?

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the help guys. We had a gander around the front sproket where the speedo pickup is and the sproket nut has cuts out of it (From chain and sporket removal). Al thinks it might be giving out a whacky speed because of it. So we've ordered a new one. Fingers crossed it fixes the bloody thing!

Doubt the bike has been raced. It's got 65000km on the clock and is still in pretty good nick with no other tell tale signs of track abuse. It has been wheelied a lot though by the owner we bought it off. So that might be it. Nothing a bit of soldering didn't fix but we thought it odd at the time.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
what did ya pay for it? if thats ok? Pics please

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Time to revisit this baby.

We changed the sprocket nut, fixed it for a few kilometers then the speedo went whacky again. Tested the speedo sensor with some magic thing he has at work and noticed the signal coming from it was all over the place. So replaced the speedo sensor, didn't fix it. Al thinks it might be an earthing problem (That's the only thing he can't test for on the magic thing). The bike doesn't seem to do it when it's cold but when it warms up it starts going spacky again. Al also said it seems to get better when it rains.

Anyone have any opinions?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
i had a similar problem after 12 o clocking my 00 r6, it ended up being some of the pins broke off on the wiring harness to he cluster. after swaping harnesses it was fine.

you may want to check the wiring/connections for corrosion or possible kinks that may be causing it

1 - 19 of 19 Posts