Advice needed. Local kart track. - ZX6R Forum
 25Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 11-05-2019, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Post Master General
 
jd41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Monterey, California
Posts: 5,832

I Ride: 2014 Kawasaki ZX-6R, 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300
Garage
Advice needed. Local kart track.

I'm trying to get some info on how to start some kart track mini motorcycle events (grom, z125, ovahle) here in Monterey county.

Options include Laguna Seca, which is a bit difficult to deal with and lot rentals start at 1,500$. I'm trying to get a hold of Marina airport which hosts Monterey Bay Karters which has a better setup (track pic below). So far no answer for more information.



So what's a good starting point after gathering the track rental requirements? Anybody have any experience doing this?
Strider likes this.

JL99
jd41 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 11-05-2019, 03:33 PM
Post Master General
 
Scorpi0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: LA, Cali
Posts: 12,320

I Ride: 06 636
I would say ask Powergroove. Hes worked at the track before and probably has good knowledge of how things work.
jd41 likes this.
Scorpi0 is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 11-05-2019, 03:46 PM
Post Master General
 
RJ2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bowling Green, VA
Posts: 12,167

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Garage
Team Oregon rents a go kart course from an outfit called Pat's Acres near Wilsonville, OR.

Might be worth reaching out.
jd41 and ZedExMuse like this.

"Basic stuff fellas. Use your head for something other than to break your next fall."

Words to live by
RJ2112 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 18 Old 11-05-2019, 04:46 PM
Track Star
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Alabama, USA
Posts: 383
I have not rented a track personally but do know that most tracks have a set fee for rentals. For events ranging from a track day to race events. Depending on how many bikes on track at a time some tracks have a lower rate for fewer riders due to lower cost for corner workers. Also having medical on site adds to the cost. Talladega Gran Prix Raceway in Mumford Alabama used to have that info on their website. I would also point out that if you organize an event and are seen as the responsible party then there are legal issues which you should be careful about. Hope it never happens but if a serious injury or were were to occur then it get messy!

Im sure there are much more knowledgable folks here than me.
jd41 likes this.
PhotoAl is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 11-05-2019, 05:24 PM
Director of Moderation
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,338

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Try reaching out to Josh Herrin. He's pretty involved in the mini bike scene with Ohvale in california, so he might be able to help you out. Some of the other MotoAmerica pros that live there can also give you some info I'm sure, but I don't know who lives where and all that. I see quite a few posts from Kaleb DeKeyrel training with Gerloff on kart tracks on mini bikes or supermotos, but I think they do a lot of that in Texas.
jd41 likes this.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (sold)
2009 ZX6R (parted out across North America)
2015 R3 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400 (race bike)
2013 RSV4 (race bike)

April 2016 and April 2017 6OTM winner!
sbk1198 is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 11-06-2019, 05:22 AM
Post Master General
 
PowerGroove's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 11,646

I Ride: 06 Road King, 86 FZ600, 82 CB900, 09 and 12 ZX6R (RIP)
Garage
www.m1-grandprix.com

They've been doing events all over SoCal for a few years. Not sure who does it up that way (or technically... down there... since I'm in Washington now lol)
jd41 likes this.

“Why do I ride as number 69? Well, it’s a number that you can still read when the bike is upside down after a crash." - Nicky Hayden

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2112 View Post
These fine gentleman are expressing their frustration with your learning style.
YouTube: Youtube.com/MotoMedic | IG: @1MotoMedic | @powergroove75
PowerGroove is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 11-07-2019, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Post Master General
 
jd41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Monterey, California
Posts: 5,832

I Ride: 2014 Kawasaki ZX-6R, 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300
Garage
Still trying to reach out to the Marina Airport for more info about renting the kart track. No response so far.

JL99
jd41 is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 11-07-2019, 10:18 PM
Post Master General
 
riverszzr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Frozen hell of the north
Posts: 7,053

I Ride: 97k '07 ZZR600, 2014 Ninja 300, 37k 89 FZR400 racebike, 56k 06 ZX6R track only, 21k 97 ZX6R F model
Garage
Back in the 80's a group of us that all had YSR50's would rent go kart tracks all over MN and Iowa for evening events on weekdays. We had a whole "race series"

track rentals were easy, we just went in and asked them how much they would be willing to rent us the track for, for some evening events from 6pm to 10pm........... 2 qualifier races to dictate starting positions, sometimes 3, then the main event

Quite often it cost us less than $500, and the closest tracks that we would use 6 or 7 times a season they gave us a better break........ When you consider most of the time we only had about 10 "racers" it would be about $50 per...........

but we had a couple events with close to 30 people arrive to race (go karts tracks notoriously do not have tons of width to pass and run 2 wide, even on a little ysr50....) So we had to run it more like motocross today, with 3 qualifying races of 10 each and only the top 3 were guaranteed in the main, then a LCQ with all the fastest losers out there at once (so about 2 or 3 from each race were eliminated before the LCQ)- doubled the length too, 20 laps instead of 10 to give people longer to get to the front, or loonger to crash out of the front, and only the winner was guaranteed in somtimes, other tracks we would also take top 3......... They were pretty fluid rules on how many would be in the main, but it was disclosed in the riders meetings at each track

I think at season end, we had ridden on 11 or 12 different tracks and had 28 or 30 events? and the winner got a decent trophy and a small amount of cash

Year two suddenly saw a bunch of yz80 top ends in the ysr50 and a bunch of other cheater shit that we made new rules after about the third round to break into a "still 50cc" class and "anything over 50cc class" but it always had to be in a ysr chassis

We simply had too many crashers that year in the "over 50cc class" and some of them requiring ambulances or helicopters that year 3 it was bone stock ysr50's only............ so most everyone who participated had to remove everything to build back to stock or try to buy another ysr that was stock

So all those toomey kits, shocks, fork springs, big carbs, ported cylinders, no air box etc.......... all those parts sat on the shelf for many that continued, but we routinely only got a handful of people year 3, sometimes as little as 3 or 4 would show up. We were invited that year to a few auto racing events to run as the "halftime entertainment" on 2 local tracks, but we decided early on we would not continue doing that, as the tracks were not layed out for us and simply didn't work out well

We never even talked about a season 4, half way through season 3 we had trouble getting people to even come..... Hell I remember one event in Iowa me and another who travelled together were the only two to show up.............. 200 miles each way, $250 each for the track fee just to run against each other.... well we got lots of laps in, even had time to blow up his engine- when his intake gasket was leaking air, rebuild it on the spot and ride for a couple more hours

We never allowed more than 15 bikes on track at once ever.... it was simply too tight and too dangerous, and even once you would get spread out, some of the hairpin turns with tires touching the asphalt on both sides made for precarious conditions and often (especially in the modified times) you would see people fly across another lane or two of the track and the bike end up in the next over lane.......... Tire barriers with zero run off on a 10' surface at best, some of them were only about 6' wide is not conducive to safety................... But man we had so much fun- honestly it was way funner than riding the big racebikes, and so very much cheaper!
Strider, jd41, PhotoAl and 1 others like this.

woohoo we are having fun now
Stupid people say stupid things on the internet, so be wary of who those people are. If you solicit advice on the internet, just keep in mind 99% of what you'll receive is not based on fact or science-and likely atleast 95% of it is based on bullshit and bravado regurgitated from some other schlub who also did not experience any of what they claim and are also full of shit. If you don't like my bluntness- too bad. I am not here to please you, so move along, your approval is not desired nor is it needed. So before opening your pie hole and adding more stupidity, perhaps sit back, listen, absorb and learn something. You know that saying, it is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!
riverszzr is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 11-08-2019, 12:23 AM
World Superbike Racer
 
WildCard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Southwest Missouri
Posts: 1,682

I Ride: 2002 ZX-6R 2009 KLX 331 Supermoto
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverszzr View Post
Back in the 80's a group of us that all had YSR50's would rent go kart tracks all over MN and Iowa for evening events on weekdays. We had a whole "race series"

track rentals were easy, we just went in and asked them how much they would be willing to rent us the track for, for some evening events from 6pm to 10pm........... 2 qualifier races to dictate starting positions, sometimes 3, then the main event

Quite often it cost us less than $500, and the closest tracks that we would use 6 or 7 times a season they gave us a better break........ When you consider most of the time we only had about 10 "racers" it would be about $50 per...........

but we had a couple events with close to 30 people arrive to race (go karts tracks notoriously do not have tons of width to pass and run 2 wide, even on a little ysr50....) So we had to run it more like motocross today, with 3 qualifying races of 10 each and only the top 3 were guaranteed in the main, then a LCQ with all the fastest losers out there at once (so about 2 or 3 from each race were eliminated before the LCQ)- doubled the length too, 20 laps instead of 10 to give people longer to get to the front, or loonger to crash out of the front, and only the winner was guaranteed in somtimes, other tracks we would also take top 3......... They were pretty fluid rules on how many would be in the main, but it was disclosed in the riders meetings at each track

I think at season end, we had ridden on 11 or 12 different tracks and had 28 or 30 events? and the winner got a decent trophy and a small amount of cash

Year two suddenly saw a bunch of yz80 top ends in the ysr50 and a bunch of other cheater shit that we made new rules after about the third round to break into a "still 50cc" class and "anything over 50cc class" but it always had to be in a ysr chassis

We simply had too many crashers that year in the "over 50cc class" and some of them requiring ambulances or helicopters that year 3 it was bone stock ysr50's only............ so most everyone who participated had to remove everything to build back to stock or try to buy another ysr that was stock

So all those toomey kits, shocks, fork springs, big carbs, ported cylinders, no air box etc.......... all those parts sat on the shelf for many that continued, but we routinely only got a handful of people year 3, sometimes as little as 3 or 4 would show up. We were invited that year to a few auto racing events to run as the "halftime entertainment" on 2 local tracks, but we decided early on we would not continue doing that, as the tracks were not layed out for us and simply didn't work out well

We never even talked about a season 4, half way through season 3 we had trouble getting people to even come..... Hell I remember one event in Iowa me and another who travelled together were the only two to show up.............. 200 miles each way, $250 each for the track fee just to run against each other.... well we got lots of laps in, even had time to blow up his engine- when his intake gasket was leaking air, rebuild it on the spot and ride for a couple more hours

We never allowed more than 15 bikes on track at once ever.... it was simply too tight and too dangerous, and even once you would get spread out, some of the hairpin turns with tires touching the asphalt on both sides made for precarious conditions and often (especially in the modified times) you would see people fly across another lane or two of the track and the bike end up in the next over lane.......... Tire barriers with zero run off on a 10' surface at best, some of them were only about 6' wide is not conducive to safety................... But man we had so much fun- honestly it was way funner than riding the big racebikes, and so very much cheaper!

Awesome. Sounds like a ton of fun. I wish something like that was going on around my area today. Sometimes I feel like I was born 15 years too late.


Roads? Where we're going we don't need....

( •_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Roads. ☢
WildCard is online now  
post #10 of 18 Old 11-08-2019, 08:27 AM
Post Master General
 
riverszzr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Frozen hell of the north
Posts: 7,053

I Ride: 97k '07 ZZR600, 2014 Ninja 300, 37k 89 FZR400 racebike, 56k 06 ZX6R track only, 21k 97 ZX6R F model
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard View Post
Awesome. Sounds like a ton of fun. I wish something like that was going on around my area today. Sometimes I feel like I was born 15 years too late.
It was, and it was dirt cheap too........... in comparison


Locally we still have a small YSR club, but they do day rides around the cities now.......... Sometimes they do have check in points and actually make it a "race" but mostly they just go be hooligans 2 smoking up the downtowns for fun........
I have not heard of them doing anything at any track in over a decade
jd41 and WildCard like this.

woohoo we are having fun now
Stupid people say stupid things on the internet, so be wary of who those people are. If you solicit advice on the internet, just keep in mind 99% of what you'll receive is not based on fact or science-and likely atleast 95% of it is based on bullshit and bravado regurgitated from some other schlub who also did not experience any of what they claim and are also full of shit. If you don't like my bluntness- too bad. I am not here to please you, so move along, your approval is not desired nor is it needed. So before opening your pie hole and adding more stupidity, perhaps sit back, listen, absorb and learn something. You know that saying, it is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!
riverszzr is offline  
post #11 of 18 Old 11-08-2019, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Post Master General
 
jd41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Monterey, California
Posts: 5,832

I Ride: 2014 Kawasaki ZX-6R, 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300
Garage
It would be a great way to involve youth in the slowly dwindling motorsport. Ultimately, I would like to have at least 7-10 riders competing on these things.

OHVALE GP0



Strider and WildCard like this.

JL99
jd41 is offline  
post #12 of 18 Old 11-08-2019, 08:53 PM
MotoGP Champion
 
Strider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,603

I Ride: 2009 ZX-6R
Garage
Those are sweet looking bikes!
jd41 likes this.

Winner - 6OTM - March 2014
2009 ZX-6R (65,695 miles and counting) | www.ZX6R.us | www.Seaton007.com

M4 GP Slip-on | ASV C5 Levers | Spiegler SS Brake Lines | SpeedoHealer V4
Custom FE | K&N Air Filter | Vortex Sprockets -1/+2 | EK MVXZ Chain
Strider is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old 11-08-2019, 09:07 PM
World Superbike Racer
 
WildCard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Southwest Missouri
Posts: 1,682

I Ride: 2002 ZX-6R 2009 KLX 331 Supermoto
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd41 View Post
It would be a great way to involve youth in the slowly dwindling motorsport. Ultimately, I would like to have at least 7-10 riders competing on these things.

OHVALE GP0


~$7k for the top of the line model.


Too rich for this poor.


Roads? Where we're going we don't need....

( •_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Roads. ☢
WildCard is online now  
post #14 of 18 Old 11-08-2019, 11:08 PM
Director of Moderation
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,338

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard View Post
~$7k for the top of the line model.


Too rich for this poor.
Yeah they're not cheap but they're awesome. And the 160 and 190 have pretty much everything. Unlike most bikes which you have to buy a bunch of aftermarket parts to get them in track form, these already come like that, so what you pay is pretty much the final price. No need to get bodywork, or exhaust, or rear sets, clip-ons, etc. It's race ready. I had the opportunity to try out a 110 and a 190, but just riding around in the paddock, not on a track, but they're pretty cool.
Strider, jd41 and WildCard like this.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (sold)
2009 ZX6R (parted out across North America)
2015 R3 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400 (race bike)
2013 RSV4 (race bike)

April 2016 and April 2017 6OTM winner!
sbk1198 is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old 11-12-2019, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Post Master General
 
jd41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Monterey, California
Posts: 5,832

I Ride: 2014 Kawasaki ZX-6R, 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard View Post
~$7k for the top of the line model.


Too rich for this poor.
Yeah.

But I'd rather spend 7k on a fully built mini race bike than a grom and spend $$$ to set it up and not be as good.
WildCard likes this.

JL99
jd41 is offline  
Reply

  ZX6R Forum > ZX6R Forum > Racing

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome