My first expert season - Page 4 - ZX6R Forum
 81Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 60 Old 08-13-2019, 05:25 PM
Pro Racer
 
russperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 754

I Ride: '06 ZX6R, '14 Ninja 1000, '08 FJR, '06 GSXR 600, '11 KTM 690 Enduro R, '08 GSXR750
The videos are cool. Adding names to the riders around you is pretty cool too, though they might not like being called out as you pass 'em

That pass at the top of the Cyclone on the 1st lap was pretty interesting looking - he must have gone over the curb on the inside to avoid swapping paint!
Gawernator likes this.

'06 ZX6R, '08 FJR1300, '06 GSXR 600, '14 Ninja 1000, '11 KTM 690 Enduro, '08 GSXR750

On the Ninja - Galfer rotors, '09 calipers, Brembo RCS M/C, Beet exhaust, Carrozzeria wheels, Ohlins cartridge kit, Ohlins Shock, Ohlins damper, Woodcraft rearsets, Healtech QuickshifterEasy
russperry is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #47 of 60 Old 08-14-2019, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Track Star
 
ninjaman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 567

I Ride: 2013 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
Booger sugar? Is that what they call it these days? Haven't heard that term before, but it's hilarious
Lol! I'll be honest. I thought that's what it was but I still looked it up in the urban dictionary just to be sure
TurbineTech likes this.
ninjaman89 is offline  
post #48 of 60 Old 08-14-2019, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Track Star
 
ninjaman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 567

I Ride: 2013 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by russperry View Post
The videos are cool. Adding names to the riders around you is pretty cool too, though they might not like being called out as you pass 'em

That pass at the top of the Cyclone on the 1st lap was pretty interesting looking - he must have gone over the curb on the inside to avoid swapping paint!
Thanks, I think it adds a lot of context - a real face behind the helmet and not just a random person on a bike. I really don't think most guys are that sensitive to care.. Many of the same guys have made passes on me I'm sure

If you're talking about right around 45seconds, that wasn't a pass. I ran kinda wide trying not to hit the guy because he slowed much more than I was expecting.
Gawernator likes this.
ninjaman89 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #49 of 60 Old 09-09-2019, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Track Star
 
ninjaman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 567

I Ride: 2013 ZX6R
So about a week ago we had AFM round 5 at Sonoma. Here's the jist:

Friday track day was rough. First time ever at the track and I struggled. The track is a little scary in places and has lot's of "character" (i.e. crazy bumps).

Saturday was much better. Made some changes to the bike and felt like I was coming to the grips with the track much better. Went out for qualifying, ran 3 flying laps and came in to find that I earned freaking POLE POSITION for the Foruma 1 race! Obviously I was stoked.

Sunday-Race day.

My first race of the day was fairly uneventful, but I made a good start, had a good battle, didn't make any big mistakes, and ended up 4th. This gave me some confidence going into my "big race," F1

Formula 1-the race I qualified on pole and the highlight of the weekdn: I got a great start, got the holeshot!! But held the gas on a little too long and ended up really deep into turn 2. To my shock, I still got hit on the INSIDE of that turn. I didn't go down but definitely killed my drive. By turn 3 I was 3rd. Damn. No need to panic though. Throughout the entire weekend I had been working on just relaxing more, making less mistakes, and hitting my marks. I made it back up to 2nd place by the end of the first lap, but now I was behind Berto (the president of AFM btw.) and I knew he was fast and would be hard to pass. Again, my goal was to just ride smart and not make any dumb moves. I ended up following him for the majority of the race until the last corner of the last lap I dove up the inside! We dragged to the finish line and I won by 0.02 seconds!!!

Sadly, AFM has a rule that you have to make turn 1 after the checkered, and because I cut the cones they penalized me and I ended up with 2nd place Check out the video I made from this race. I'll post the rest later

https://www.facebook.com/driser/vide...7568553729375/
jd41 and Gawernator like this.

Last edited by ninjaman89; 09-09-2019 at 08:44 AM.
ninjaman89 is offline  
post #50 of 60 Old 09-09-2019, 01:40 PM
Team Green
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 203
impressive riding!
gruntymotor is offline  
post #51 of 60 Old 09-09-2019, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Track Star
 
ninjaman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 567

I Ride: 2013 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntymotor View Post
impressive riding!
Thanks!

To add a little more to my first post:

My last race, we threw on a new tire and I went from starting P14 to 3rd place! Here's a short video I made from this race. https://www.facebook.com/driser/vide...7573535969375/

That's all for now. Hope you guys enjoy the updates



dazo, jd41 and PhotoAl like this.
ninjaman89 is offline  
post #52 of 60 Old 09-09-2019, 04:49 PM
Director of Moderation
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,145

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaman89 View Post
So about a week ago we had AFM round 5 at Sonoma. Here's the jist:

Friday track day was rough. First time ever at the track and I struggled. The track is a little scary in places and has lot's of "character" (i.e. crazy bumps).

Saturday was much better. Made some changes to the bike and felt like I was coming to the grips with the track much better. Went out for qualifying, ran 3 flying laps and came in to find that I earned freaking POLE POSITION for the Foruma 1 race! Obviously I was stoked.

Sunday-Race day.

My first race of the day was fairly uneventful, but I made a good start, had a good battle, didn't make any big mistakes, and ended up 4th. This gave me some confidence going into my "big race," F1

Formula 1-the race I qualified on pole and the highlight of the weekdn: I got a great start, got the holeshot!! But held the gas on a little too long and ended up really deep into turn 2. To my shock, I still got hit on the INSIDE of that turn. I didn't go down but definitely killed my drive. By turn 3 I was 3rd. Damn. No need to panic though. Throughout the entire weekend I had been working on just relaxing more, making less mistakes, and hitting my marks. I made it back up to 2nd place by the end of the first lap, but now I was behind Berto (the president of AFM btw.) and I knew he was fast and would be hard to pass. Again, my goal was to just ride smart and not make any dumb moves. I ended up following him for the majority of the race until the last corner of the last lap I dove up the inside! We dragged to the finish line and I won by 0.02 seconds!!!

Sadly, AFM has a rule that you have to make turn 1 after the checkered, and because I cut the cones they penalized me and I ended up with 2nd place Check out the video I made from this race. I'll post the rest later

https://www.facebook.com/driser/vide...7568553729375/
Nice! Good job, especially for being a track you hadn't raced at before. Everyone says Sonoma is a little sketchy in some areas.

But I don't get the point of those cones. They're like in the middle of the track. Why are they there and what's it matter if you go through them after the race is over?
ninjaman89 likes this.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (sold)
2009 ZX6R (parted out across North America)
2015 R3 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400 (race bike)
2013 RSV4 (race bike)

April 2016 and April 2017 6OTM winner!
sbk1198 is offline  
post #53 of 60 Old 09-10-2019, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Track Star
 
ninjaman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 567

I Ride: 2013 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
Nice! Good job, especially for being a track you hadn't raced at before. Everyone says Sonoma is a little sketchy in some areas.

But I don't get the point of those cones. They're like in the middle of the track. Why are they there and what's it matter if you go through them after the race is over?
From what I understand, it's a safety rule. So especially for the 1000s, their braking marker is before the start/finish line. It's to try and help prevent racers from rocketing off track.
ninjaman89 is offline  
post #54 of 60 Old 09-11-2019, 05:38 PM
Director of Moderation
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,145

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaman89 View Post
From what I understand, it's a safety rule. So especially for the 1000s, their braking marker is before the start/finish line. It's to try and help prevent racers from rocketing off track.
I hate when tracks do that. We have one here like that as well, where the finish line is after the 1000s have to start braking. Who was the idiot who decided that?? And why hasn't the finish line been moved?? It's literally a painted line I know the timing loop would have to be moved too, so it's not something that can be done in a couple of hours, but you'd think after so many years that shit can get moved.
Gawernator likes this.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (sold)
2009 ZX6R (parted out across North America)
2015 R3 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400 (race bike)
2013 RSV4 (race bike)

April 2016 and April 2017 6OTM winner!
sbk1198 is offline  
post #55 of 60 Old 09-12-2019, 04:26 AM
MotoGP Champion
 
Gawernator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Brentwood, CA
Posts: 2,897

I Ride: 2015 ZX-6R; 1999 KX125; 2003 YZ450F SM
Garage
Sonoma was sick. Daniel is killing it
ninjaman89 likes this.

AFM #725 Thanks to my 2019 Sponsors:
JPH Suspension | AXO Racing | Armour Bodies | | EVLUTION Nutrition | Galfer | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Shorai Inc. | Vortex | Woodcraft | Wicked Audio
http://www.gawerracing.com
Gawernator is offline  
post #56 of 60 Old 10-08-2019, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Track Star
 
ninjaman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 567

I Ride: 2013 ZX6R
Round 6 was awesome, dropped into the low 52s and took three thirds, but that damn first win has till yet to happen.

ninjaman89 is offline  
post #57 of 60 Old 10-08-2019, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Track Star
 
ninjaman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 567

I Ride: 2013 ZX6R
"Riser once again impressed with his consistency, adding to his mountain of hardware with third-place finishes in all three classes."

https://www.roadracingworld.com/news...mFy0o3tx4uzmB8



ninjaman89 is offline  
post #58 of 60 Old 10-08-2019, 01:45 PM
Team Green
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 203
Well done Laddie - some good riding there!
gruntymotor is offline  
post #59 of 60 Old 10-08-2019, 05:53 PM
Director of Moderation
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,145

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Good job! Winning races at expert level is not easy, especially in highly competitive classes. Still chasing my first win as well, but it's pretty hard when MotoAmerica kids are on the grid lol

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (sold)
2009 ZX6R (parted out across North America)
2015 R3 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400 (race bike)
2013 RSV4 (race bike)

April 2016 and April 2017 6OTM winner!
sbk1198 is offline  
post #60 of 60 Old 10-09-2019, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Track Star
 
ninjaman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 567

I Ride: 2013 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntymotor View Post
Well done Laddie - some good riding there!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
Good job! Winning races at expert level is not easy, especially in highly competitive classes. Still chasing my first win as well, but it's pretty hard when MotoAmerica kids are on the grid lol
Thank you guys!
Gawernator likes this.
ninjaman89 is offline  
Reply

  ZX6R Forum > ZX6R Forum > Racing

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome