What's going on with TMP? - ZX6R Forum
 19Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 07-30-2018, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Team Green
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 117
Garage
What's going on with TMP?

I just noticed NJMP cancelled a bunch of track days for Team Pro-Motion (as TPM itself notes on their website). And those days are taken by other clubs.
Is this beginning of the end for TMP?
Any insider views on the matter?

I would hate to see them dissolved, fewer clubs leave fewer options to us.
Gawernator likes this.
goblin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 32 Old 07-30-2018, 09:20 AM
Track Star
 
gustaveberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Elizabethtown, PA
Posts: 425

I Ride: 2013 ZX6R
I read an article (forget where from) but TPM sued NJMP for a few reasons, such as broach of contract, trying to get customer pricing, trying to get the leader of TPM to join a joint venture. TPM claimed NJMP wanted to create their own trackday club and not have to use groups like N2, Evolve, TPM, etc.

NJMP responded like a day later saying that it wasn't true, etc, etc.

I'll wait to read some court documents before I make any decision about what I believe.

I know @pinoyrider; rides with them. He might know more than what I read.
Gawernator likes this.
gustaveberg is offline  
post #3 of 32 Old 07-30-2018, 09:41 AM
Superbike Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by goblin View Post
I just noticed NJMP cancelled a bunch of track days for Team Pro-Motion (as TPM itself notes on their website). And those days are taken by other clubs.
Is this beginning of the end for TMP?
Any insider views on the matter?

I would hate to see them dissolved, fewer clubs leave fewer options to us.
Go to roadracingworld.com to read the news....

Litigation: Team Pro-Motion Sues New Jersey Motorsports Park Over Contract Cancellation
Gawernator likes this.
Duc995 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 32 Old 07-30-2018, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Team Green
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 117
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustaveberg View Post
I read an article (forget where from) but TPM sued NJMP for a few reasons, such as broach of contract, trying to get customer pricing, trying to get the leader of TPM to join a joint venture.
Ah, that will do.
on the bright side this forced them (TMP) to explore other venues, like Pocono Raceway. I am only too happy because it's so close to my place.
goblin is offline  
post #5 of 32 Old 07-30-2018, 01:22 PM
Director of Moderation
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 8,716

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by goblin View Post
Ah, that will do.
on the bright side this forced them (TMP) to explore other venues, like Pocono Raceway. I am only too happy because it's so close to my place.
Nah I don't think that's what's gonna come out of it. I think the end of TPM is more likely what's gonna come out of it. From what I heard there's been quite a bit of drama within that organization in the last several years, and my money is on NJMP to win the lawsuit. That means TPM will take a big financial hit, and they will also lose a lot credibility and loyalty from people, so less people will go to their events. To be honest I'm not sure how they are surviving to begin with. When I was looking at doing a track day around the area I looked at all the major track day orgs around here (N2, EvolveGT, TPM, PRE, Motorcycle Xcitement) and noticed that TPM is the most expensive. There's also a surplus of track day organizations in this area so I'm not sure how they can all survive. I've never seen so many track day organizations to host track days at the same tracks. In the midwest we could only hope to have 2 orgs doing track days at some tracks...3 would be amazing! Here you got like 5 at least!! On top of that there are also some that only go to a particular track, like MAARC does only Summit Point and Absolute Cycles does NJMP. But there are so many choices that you can damn near go to a track day every single weekend in this area from April till October.
Gawernator likes this.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (sold)
2009 ZX6R (parted out across North America)
2015 R3 (race bike)

April 2016 and April 2017 6OTM winner!
sbk1198 is online now  
post #6 of 32 Old 07-30-2018, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Team Green
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 117
Garage
I'm afraid you might be right. less people are already coming to their events. I have been to 2 of their events at Pocono Raceway.
Unfortunately this track treats motorcycles as second class citizens. The first event was a snaffu, because of a large number of cars doing track days on the same day they decided to move motorcycles to a pitt area that o wouldn't call a pitt. the "paddock" was some hedged piece of dirt land. I guess the word's gotten out and there was hardly anybody showed up for the second event, which is too bad to because this time around the administration placed us in proper garages. personally, I had a blast that day. too few riders so they ran only 2 groups, 30 mins each session. there is another coming end of August, given TMP does not fold by that time I m planning on signing up.
Gawernator likes this.
goblin is offline  
post #7 of 32 Old 07-30-2018, 03:46 PM
Director of Moderation
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 8,716

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by goblin View Post
I'm afraid you might be right. less people are already coming to their events. I have been to 2 of their events at Pocono Raceway.
Unfortunately this track treats motorcycles as second class citizens. The first event was a snaffu, because of a large number of cars doing track days on the same day they decided to move motorcycles to a pitt area that o wouldn't call a pitt. the "paddock" was some hedged piece of dirt land. I guess the word's gotten out and there was hardly anybody showed up for the second event, which is too bad to because this time around the administration placed us in proper garages. personally, I had a blast that day. too few riders so they ran only 2 groups, 30 mins each session. there is another coming end of August, given TMP does not fold by that time I m planning on signing up.
Pretty much every track treats motorcycles as second citizens. There are some exceptions, like NJMP who seems to do a lot of bike events, VIR, and a few others I'm sure. The main one I can think of if Jennings GP. From what I've heard they ONLY allow motorcycles on their track. I find it surprising because a lot of the revenue for race tracks comes from car track days or racing events, so they're losing out on a lot of that...but on the bright side the asphalt will last waaaaay longer without cars going there so they probably won't have to repave for like 50 years lol
Gawernator likes this.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (sold)
2009 ZX6R (parted out across North America)
2015 R3 (race bike)

April 2016 and April 2017 6OTM winner!
sbk1198 is online now  
post #8 of 32 Old 07-31-2018, 05:03 AM
Track Star
 
gustaveberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Elizabethtown, PA
Posts: 425

I Ride: 2013 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
Nah I don't think that's what's gonna come out of it. I think the end of TPM is more likely what's gonna come out of it. From what I heard there's been quite a bit of drama within that organization in the last several years, and my money is on NJMP to win the lawsuit. That means TPM will take a big financial hit, and they will also lose a lot credibility and loyalty from people, so less people will go to their events. To be honest I'm not sure how they are surviving to begin with. When I was looking at doing a track day around the area I looked at all the major track day orgs around here (N2, EvolveGT, TPM, PRE, Motorcycle Xcitement) and noticed that TPM is the most expensive. There's also a surplus of track day organizations in this area so I'm not sure how they can all survive. I've never seen so many track day organizations to host track days at the same tracks. In the midwest we could only hope to have 2 orgs doing track days at some tracks...3 would be amazing! Here you got like 5 at least!! On top of that there are also some that only go to a particular track, like MAARC does only Summit Point and Absolute Cycles does NJMP. But there are so many choices that you can damn near go to a track day every single weekend in this area from April till October.
I would concur with your statement about the drama. I can remember last year the owner or someone high up in TPM was flamed on one of the FB trackday groups for something. He then started responding and it turned in to some serious high school drama type shit, it looked really bad for TPM in my opinion, and a ton of people read that thread and specifically mentioned how they didn't like him and wouldn't ride with TPM.

There are a ton of TD orgs around, but groups like N2 and Evolve are almost sold out for Novice and Intermediate groups very often on the weekends. Seems N2 and Evolve partnered to work different geographical areas to maximize the ability to draw people for the weekend. I also know Evolve was formed when one guy left TPM a while back, and I believe N2 has a similar story...

This area (at least where I'm at) has a really high amount of guys who are racing or doing TD's as well. It's crazy how many people I run into from the Lancaster, Harrisburg, Mechanicsburg area at track days. I have lived in northern PA and western PA and never have seen the amount of sport bike riders like we have in central/eastern PA. Also to be fair the eastern seaboard you're on probably has a much greater population than where you were previously living.
gustaveberg is offline  
post #9 of 32 Old 07-31-2018, 06:33 AM
MotoGP Champion
 
Schooley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,919
When I moved down here in 2014 there was 3-4 different track day providers who organized track days in Texas. Now there's 1.

As cool as it sounds to own a trackday business I don't think its a very stable business model. Sounds like you guys have a good amount of options in the NE, which helps the consumer. I am surprised the lone trackday provider has only increased their prices $25/$30 a day considering there is literally no competition.
Gawernator likes this.
Schooley is offline  
post #10 of 32 Old 08-01-2018, 12:25 AM
Pro Racer
 
russperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 735

I Ride: '06 ZX6R, '14 Ninja 1000, '08 FJR, '06 GSXR 600, '11 KTM 690 Enduro R
Its interesting how different the dynamics are in the different regions. Out here in California we actually have MANY operators running track days, but they all share the same handful of tracks.

In NorCal we have Thunderhill, Sonoma, Laguna Seca and Buttonwillow within 3 hours drive of San Francisco but that doesn't seem like all that many choices for a population of approx 20 million. Looking at Thunderhill as an example, there are 52 available dates for motorcycle riders during 2018 run by 4 different organizers....

Laguna Seca is even more fragmented - total of 11 dates this year for motorcycles, run by 5 different organizers!
Gawernator likes this.

'06 ZX6R, '08 FJR1300, '06 GSXR 600, '14 Ninja 1000, '11 KTM 690 Enduro, '08 GSXR750

On the Ninja - Galfer rotors, '09 calipers, Brembo RCS M/C, Beet exhaust, Carrozzeria wheels, Ohlins cartridge kit, Ohlins Shock, Ohlins damper, Woodcraft rearsets, Healtech QuickshifterEasy
russperry is offline  
post #11 of 32 Old 08-01-2018, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Team Green
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 117
Garage
more choices is always better for consumers. i love going to NJMP because of its proximity and well kept infrastructure.however this lawsuit shows they are trying to monopolize the business.
yet, ny safety track too has its own club, other track days organization can join only as partners. so, I guess this model works somehow because many clubs go there.
as for me (my personal circumstances), I would find it extremely inconvenient to be faithful to one club only. I'm a random goer who choses the events that fit best my own schedule.
Gawernator likes this.
goblin is offline  
post #12 of 32 Old 08-01-2018, 07:02 AM
Track Star
 
gustaveberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Elizabethtown, PA
Posts: 425

I Ride: 2013 ZX6R
gustaveberg is offline  
post #13 of 32 Old 08-01-2018, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Team Green
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 117
Garage
oh man. $399 for membership only. I only do about 6 days at NJMP. this pushes my price to over $300.
better off without membership, but either case the price just jumped significantly.
Gawernator likes this.
goblin is offline  
post #14 of 32 Old 08-01-2018, 08:25 AM
MotoGP Champion
 
Schooley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by goblin View Post
oh man. $399 for membership only. I only do about 6 days at NJMP. this pushes my price to over $300.
better off without membership, but either case the price just jumped significantly.
I have no idea how good of a track NJMP is.. but that seems like a royal shafting
Schooley is offline  
post #15 of 32 Old 08-01-2018, 08:57 AM
Track Star
 
gustaveberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Elizabethtown, PA
Posts: 425

I Ride: 2013 ZX6R
Seems they're gonna work with other orgs still, so probably the best route to go unless you only go to NJMP.
I have the low membership with evolvegt just because you get a small discount on TD's and a couple other things, and if you do like 6 days or something it just auto renews your membership for free.
gustaveberg is offline  
Reply

  ZX6R Forum > ZX6R Forum > Racing

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Details about TMP devildogae The ZX6R 5 02-18-2014 11:24 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome