- Looking To Join The Club - - ZX6R Forum
 59Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 25
- Looking To Join The Club -

Hello everyone,

My name is Dom and I'm looking to get my first motorcycle. While I have much to learn, I do not want to start with anything lower than a 600.

My first choice right now is a 2008 ZX6R. Why? Because I like how they look.

So if ya'll wouldn't mind, I could really use some guidance.

What should I look for when purchasing a used bike? What mileage is too high etc...

What price range am I looking at? I believe from what I've seen the price range for a 2008 is about $6,000. Correct?

Thank you all!
-Dom
TorokDesigns is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 05:32 AM
World Superbike Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: .
Posts: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorokDesigns View Post
My name is Dom and I'm looking to get my first motorcycle. While I have much to learn, I do not want to start with anything lower than a 600.
Better look at a liter then, because the '600' bikes are 599!

Seriously though, why are you set on starting with a supersport? It can be done, but it's a dangerous way to start. You're going to get flamed hard from some of the guys here, and flamed softly from me.

Bad idea. Get a 250 or 300. Hell, get an older 500. Unless you have a deathwish, then go ahead and get a supersport.
beckzach05 is offline  
post #3 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckzach05 View Post
Better look at a liter then, because the '600' bikes are 599!

Seriously though, why are you set on starting with a supersport? It can be done, but it's a dangerous way to start. You're going to get flamed hard from some of the guys here, and flamed softly from me.

Bad idea. Get a 250 or 300. Hell, get an older 500. Unless you have a deathwish, then go ahead and get a supersport.
I always take it easy when driving. I'm a huge car fanatic but never drive dangerously. I like to cruise.

One reason is I don't want to have to upgrade as quick. Another reason is (tell me if I'm wrong) but i'm 6 feet tall and 220lbs so I don't think a 300 or below would be too good for me.




I have decided to go with a 600 (599) or above so I hope you all can just help me with the questions I asked My best friend started on a yamaha 650 and has been fine and he drives a lot more enthusiastically than me. I think I'll be ok. If not, then that's my fault.

Thank you for the warning though.
TorokDesigns is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 05:51 AM
MotoGP Champion
 
Ebster1085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 4,305
I agree with the above sentiment. It is foolish to start out on a middleweight sport bike. Looking back, if my first bike would have been a 600 I would have mostly likely ended up very hurt or dead.

If I could make any recommendtions it would be to go with a 650 twin. Either the SV650 or the 650R would be nice choices. I would say start out on a 250 or 300, but I can already tell you wont do that and neither did I. My first bike was a 650R and I personally think it is a great choice that you wont quickly grow bored of.

If you are dead set on a 4 banger, you may want to check out something a bit more tame like the FZ6R. You will still get that great I4 sound but it will be a bit toned down.
Ebster1085 is offline  
post #5 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 05:52 AM
Team Green
 
mountainman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: SC
Posts: 169

I Ride: um.. ...a ZX6R
Welcome...Price is gonna depend on the mileage. Also it's gonna depend on what condition the bike is in (if it's been dropped, maintained, any mods, etc)
mountainman is offline  
post #6 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 05:53 AM
Team Green
 
booter22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Brampton Ontario Canada
Posts: 211

I Ride: 2005 ZX6R - Green!
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckzach05 View Post
Better look at a liter then, because the '600' bikes are 599!

Seriously though, why are you set on starting with a supersport? It can be done, but it's a dangerous way to start. You're going to get flamed hard from some of the guys here, and flamed softly from me.

Bad idea. Get a 250 or 300. Hell, get an older 500. Unless you have a deathwish, then go ahead and get a supersport.
i started on my zx6r. ive been ok thus far. if you are not an idiot and dont ride to kill yourself and take it slow and get comfortable and then go a bit faster. lean a bit further, you will build your skill with how comfortable you become, thats at least how i have been doing it and so far so good.
Scorpi0 and Brandon35 like this.
booter22 is offline  
post #7 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 05:54 AM
Post Master General
 
trackdayhero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: il
Posts: 7,222
Actually a Ninja 650 sounds like the "perfect" bike for how you say you drive and for your size. It's an AWESOME machine, not only better suited for learning but for riding. I have an '09 650 in addition to 2 '08 600s. I like them about equally but for different reasons. The ZX6R does have more overall power but the 650 is has more torque down low and is much easier to ride. I actually think it corners better than the 600s. You should be able to find a nice 650 for less money than a nice ZX6R. In fact I have one I'll sell you. I need race tire money for the upcoming season. As far as '08 prices, I bought both of mine 2 years ago in near perfect condition with only about 5,000 miles on them for around $5,200 each.

.

Last edited by trackdayhero; 01-22-2014 at 05:58 AM.
trackdayhero is offline  
post #8 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 05:59 AM
World Superbike Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: .
Posts: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorokDesigns View Post
I always take it easy when driving. I'm a huge car fanatic but never drive dangerously. I like to cruise.

One reason is I don't want to have to upgrade as quick. Another reason is (tell me if I'm wrong) but i'm 6 feet tall and 220lbs so I don't think a 300 or below would be too good for me.




I have decided to go with a 600 (599) or above so I hope you all can just help me with the questions I asked My best friend started on a yamaha 650 and has been fine and he drives a lot more enthusiastically than me. I think I'll be ok. If not, then that's my fault.

Thank you for the warning though.
650 vs 600 - completely different bikes. The 650s are big twins, 600s are inline 4s. For your height and weight, a Ninja 650 would be a great bike. Here's some reading:

Ninja 650R First Bike? - Sportbikes.net

Is the Ninja 650r too much bike for a beginner?

Ninja 650R Starter Bike?
Ebster1085 likes this.
beckzach05 is offline  
post #9 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 06:03 AM
MotoGP Champion
 
Ebster1085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 4,305
Glad I am not the only one suggesting the 650 twin platform
beckzach05 likes this.
Ebster1085 is offline  
post #10 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 06:13 AM
Team Green
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Maryville, TN
Posts: 203

I Ride: 03 ZX6R, 78 GS1000
I have to agree with the above. If you are dead set on getting a middle weight bike as your first (which I don't recommend) than make it a Ninja 650. I can assure you a Ninja 300 would have no issues hauling you around though and really is an amazing machine. In the end you will of course do what you want to do. I am a firm believer that starting on a smaller bike will make you a better rider.
PrestonK, beckzach05 and Strider like this.
ianc is offline  
post #11 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 06:15 AM
Post Master General
 
trackdayhero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: il
Posts: 7,222
Oh, the other thing I forgot to mention. You asked about mileage. I have over 43,000 on my Ninja 650 and it still looks and rides pretty much like new. If you take care of your stuff it should last quite a while. I would expect to get another 43,000 out of that 650. I have over 20k on each of my ZX6Rs and I *believe* the 600 engine would be slightly less reliable than the 650 twin as far as mileage but I have no data to back that up. Chances are you'll crash it before having the motor go bad.

.
trackdayhero is offline  
post #12 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 06:16 AM
World Superbike Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: .
Posts: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc View Post
I can assure you a Ninja 300 would have no issues hauling you around though and really is an amazing machine. In the end you will of course do what you want to do. I am a firm believer that starting on a smaller bike will make you a better rider.
This, all day every day.

I still have my '11 250r. Cruises on the highway no problem. It's very comfortable, and I'm 6' 230lb.
PrestonK and Strider like this.
beckzach05 is offline  
post #13 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 06:20 AM
MotoGP Champion
 
Sandman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 5,096
I also agree with the idea of a more street purposed bike like the 650 if you refuse to start on a 250/300 lightweight.

SuperSports are a hard bike to learn on, not very forgiving. Do you have any experience on two wheels? I learned on a SV650 and wouldn't change anything if I went back and did it all over again.

Edit-
I've actually thought about getting a 300 as a second bike just to go play on. They are really fun

Last edited by Sandman; 01-22-2014 at 06:23 AM.
Sandman is offline  
post #14 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 06:21 AM
Track Star
 
mfromphilly1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Millington, TN
Posts: 325

I Ride: 99 ZX6R
Sorry, you don't want guidance on a first bike. You want reassurance that what you've pre-chosen is good for you. I'll not do that for you, new riders don't belong on supersports and I don't like hearing about riders going down because they bit off more than they can chew.
beckzach05, Ebster1085 and Strider like this.

99 ZX6R Gianelli pipe, Penske shock, Hyperpro springs, Ivan's jet kit, Ontario ignition advancer, GPR damper, Vortex rearsets, TRS projector light, Hel brake lines
mfromphilly1 is offline  
post #15 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 06:24 AM
MotoGP Champion
 
Brandon35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 3,343

I Ride: 1996 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R
Garage
Hint, if you get the 6r (which, if it were me, I would), make a new profile and act like you've been riding for a while. I joined up before I had my license but I had the bike (don't bash me dudes) and I ended up just fine. Nobody's given me grief yet lol.
TorokDesigns likes this.

I tend to get things right on the second attempt
Brandon35 is offline  
Reply

  ZX6R Forum > Lobby > New Member Introductions

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Club update from oilman @ Opie Oils oilman Mechanical and Technical 0 05-20-2013 06:00 AM
Hi from oilman @ Opie Oils - New club discounts oilman New Member Introductions 6 10-22-2012 09:33 AM
To join or not to join... 2006foxx Motorcycle Talk 26 12-11-2011 11:11 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome