- Looking To Join The Club - - Page 3 - ZX6R Forum
 59Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Camber View Post
Not knowing a lot about motorcycles, it's normal to think that a 600 would be a good compromise. a bike right in the the middle engine-wise. Did you know that my ZX6R 636 has twice the horsepower of the Ninja 650?.

Your a car guy just like many of us. Would you start out with a first car that runs the 1/4 mile in the mid 10s?. Heck, the Ninja650 runs mid 12s, isn't that good enough for you? (plus the riding position is easier to learn on).

We're not trying put you down, we're trying to help you. Buying one bike just to save the hassle is a false economy. There's a lot more at stake here than you realize (and you will actually learn more quickly with the smaller bike).
I understand man haha. I like the looks of the 08 zx6r a lot more than the others mentioned.

It's different for cars though. I wouldn't hesitate to get a faster car over a slower car if I like the look of the faster car more and if the prices weren't too different.
TorokDesigns is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXNasty View Post
picture isn't working for me.
TorokDesigns is offline  
post #33 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 08:56 AM
MotoGP Champion
 
oKayH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: MD
Posts: 4,143

I Ride: 09 ZX6R track, CRF150R stupidmoto
ZX14.

/thread

CCS EX
More gas, less brake
oKayH is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 09:07 AM
World Superbike Racer
 
Off Camber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NOVA
Posts: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorokDesigns View Post
I like the looks of the 08 zx6r a lot more than the others mentioned.

It's better to look good than to feel good. - YouTube

On a motorcycle that can be a mistake.

Brand new Gixxer crashed - YouTube
Off Camber is offline  
post #35 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 25
Ok, well please continue to post up ideas for what I should look at when inspecting a used ZX6R. That would be very helpful.

I'll go check some out and get back to you all.
TorokDesigns is offline  
post #36 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 10:09 AM
World Superbike Racer
 
iLean2much's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Capital of Canada
Posts: 1,442

I Ride: 2006 Zx636 / 2001 Zx6R
it all depends if u wanna put some work into it or have it ready to go as is.

ready to go will cost you at least 1000 more than something you can customize to your likings.

if you wanna stay out of trouble and account for breaking stuff on it sooner or later (100% going to happen), keep it stock.
Do you wanna have to chase for aftermarket replacement or just go with sand on the beach OEM used parts you can snag off ebay

slip on exhaust is nice to look at, i got one on mine.

expensive upgrade is a no name frame slider where it probably will be cheaper to buy a whole new set of no names instead of a replacement part for a Yoshi or Woodcraft.

milage... don't buy anything above 12k miles or you need to consider more serious maintenance work.

anything under 8k will most likely still have the original Chain and sprockets on ($200 to replace with).

Watch for the age and conditions of the tires. Production date stamp shouldn't be older than 4yrs (3409 = 34th calendar week of 2009) and wear bars in the tire center should have enough left on top and not close to flush with wear bar.

if your 07/08 bike has less than 4k milage you're looking at new battery and most likely clogged/dirty fuel injectors and rust inside the tank from bad storage.

Chinese fairings are a bad sign, so are scraped on bar ends and footpegs or even worse, tank, tail, mirrors and upper fairing side.


so your perfect bike should have 10k miles, fairly new chain and sprockets (4k old), fairly new tires (1k miles), OEM rearsets, original paint (watch for the kawasaki or ninja sticker on the tank with clearcoat on top), a nice slip on exhaust, cleaned up tail (if oem, who cares, just looks) and most importantly frequent oil changes done, every 3k miles. Doesn't even need to be on full synth oil.


little hint for when starting out with that bike... let some air into the front brake system so you have a spongy lever that won't hit the handlebar if adjusted out on the mid setting.

those brakes can stop on a dime if applied correctly (firm but progressively) and no grocery getter cage could possibly brake in time to not rear end you.

don't forget to put at least $500 aside for decent gear. if you skimp on kevlar jeans, so be it. but all that's separating you from 40grit sandpaper and the bike is your 0.1in thick skin plus another 0.05in of t'shirt or a thick sweater that won't protect you from smashed elbow joints, painful weeks in the hospital, light duty work and drastically cut paycheques for the next 4 months besides the medical bills.
beckzach05 likes this.

Last edited by iLean2much; 01-22-2014 at 10:11 AM.
iLean2much is offline  
post #37 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 10:18 AM
World Superbike Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: .
Posts: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorokDesigns View Post
My first choice right now is a 2008 ZX6R. Why? Because I like how they look.

So if ya'll wouldn't mind, I could really use some guidance.

What should I look for when purchasing a used bike? What mileage is too high etc...
You asked our opinions, and didn't say you only wanted advice on an '08 zx6r.

You're overconfident. I don't say that trying to be mean, I'm just assuming you're young. The lack of credit history says that too.

A supersport is a dumb idea. You say there are people who have done it and been fine. Some people survive russian roulette. That doesn't mean that playing russian roulette is a good or safe idea. It's still f***ing stupid.


I'm not going to waste any more time in this thread after I say this last bit. My only advice to you is, plan for a lifetime of motorcycling. Plan on developing good riding skills, getting good safety gear, and most of all - surviving. There's no need to rush into a very powerful bike with little-to-no sportbike experience.

/thread
ZXNasty, PrestonK, 07chuck and 1 others like this.
beckzach05 is offline  
post #38 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 10:30 AM
World Superbike Racer
 
iLean2much's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Capital of Canada
Posts: 1,442

I Ride: 2006 Zx636 / 2001 Zx6R
Right, I totally forgot to mention the point that a big bike (anything above 500cc twin cyl) will only give you looks... until you pull into a parking lot and do all the noob stuff like searching for the kickstand and duckwalking it to into the parking spot or back out.

A less powerful and LIGHTER bike will teach you confidence and most importantly let you experience different scenarios where you will have the muscle power to werstle yourself out of a hairy situation.

It took me 4yrs to finally have my dream bike.
Starting off with an unwanted cbr125 going over to a much too big 01 carb zx600 and now finally having my 06 zx636.

i don't regret nothing other than not having waited another year so i could've afforded a ninja 250 as my 1st bike.

i'm a show off. i wanna put my skills up against all the other riders who've been on the streets for up to 20yrs.
95% of the street riding crowd around here is made up of parking lot sitter and coffee sipper and lots of talk!

you're not the first who comes along wanting to look good. but i'd be the first to point at you and laugh while picking up your poor bike you just dropped in front of everyone.



"iLean over and Out!"
ZXNasty, PrestonK, golgo13 and 1 others like this.
iLean2much is offline  
post #39 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 10:53 AM
Post Master General
 
ZXNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Murray, KY
Posts: 7,645

I Ride: 2011 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLean2much View Post
you're not the first who comes along wanting to look good. but i'd be the first to point at you and laugh while picking up your poor bike you just dropped in front of everyone.
Sig'd !
iLean2much likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodas6r View Post
1nastyZ and zxnasty, forum a-holes, and heroes
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterZX View Post
lol I am picturing nasty coming rolling off the bike and then just jumping up out of it and goin into a gas station buy a monster and start drinking it like nothing just happened
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLean2much View Post
you're not the first who comes along wanting to look good. but i'd be the first to point at you and laugh while picking up your poor bike you just dropped in front of everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kninja View Post
beef curtins
AKA Princess
ZXNasty is offline  
post #40 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 11:08 AM
MotoGP Champion
 
Strider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,439

I Ride: 2009 ZX-6R
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorokDesigns View Post
I guess I should tell you more about myself then. I know this doesn't make me not a beginner but I got my license about a year ago with the ninja 300 in mind when it just came out. It looked so sexy to me I had to have it even though some people were telling me that I would get bored of it's power.

I thought the 250 would be way too small and the 300 would be a great starter bike.

I couldn't get the financing though because I haven't built up a good enough credit score yet. Now a year later, and a year of thinking about it in the back of my mind now and then I have decided that I would rather go for something more powerful because I know myself and I know that I will not drive dangerously.

As you have seen in this thread, there are people who have started out on the zx6r. They are fine.

I am not blowing you all off who are telling me I should consider a less powerful bike. I understand where you are coming from. I am new and should learn on something more safe.

But you don't know me like I do, obviously haha. I know I'll drive safe. It's a risk but I think I will be fine.

So please, try to leave that topic alone. I'm thankful for you all trying to keep me safe. I'll be ok. And if not, it's my fault. Not yours.
It's not just about "being safe" or "careful". That is only part of the picture. The fact is, that you most likely will not learn proper riding skills if you start out on a ZX-6R, and that, in and of itself, makes you a more dangerous rider. However, your previous experience on dirt bikes, depending on how much it is, may help a little in that respect. Still, street bikes require a whole new set of different skills.
ZXNasty likes this.

Winner - 6OTM - March 2014
2009 ZX-6R (65,695 miles and counting) | www.ZX6R.us | www.Seaton007.com

M4 GP Slip-on | ASV C5 Levers | Spiegler SS Brake Lines | SpeedoHealer V4
Custom FE | K&N Air Filter | Vortex Sprockets -1/+2 | EK MVXZ Chain

Last edited by Strider; 01-22-2014 at 11:12 AM.
Strider is offline  
post #41 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 11:17 AM
Post Master General
 
trackdayhero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: il
Posts: 7,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorokDesigns View Post
I guess I should tell you more about myself then. I know this doesn't make me not a beginner but I got my license about a year ago with the ninja 300 in mind when it just came out. It looked so sexy to me I had to have it even though some people were telling me that I would get bored of it's power.

I thought the 250 would be way too small and the 300 would be a great starter bike.

I couldn't get the financing though because I haven't built up a good enough credit score yet. Now a year later, and a year of thinking about it in the back of my mind now and then I have decided that I would rather go for something more powerful because I know myself and I know that I will not drive dangerously.

As you have seen in this thread, there are people who have started out on the zx6r. They are fine.

I am not blowing you all off who are telling me I should consider a less powerful bike. I understand where you are coming from. I am new and should learn on something more safe.

But you don't know me like I do, obviously haha. I know I'll drive safe. It's a risk but I think I will be fine.

So please, try to leave that topic alone. I'm thankful for you all trying to keep me safe. I'll be ok. And if not, it's my fault. Not yours.
The reason I suggested the 650 was not so much to keep you safe. I don't doubt you could ride a ZX6R. The reason I suggested the 650 is because of how you claim you ride. For the way you say you ride I think you would like the 650 more. That is, it has more torque, is a much easier bike to ride down the highway, pass cars, etc. The ZX6R doesn't have a lot of power until you get it up into the high RPM range. That means to get around a car you have to drop it down a couple of gears to get the squirrels up to speed. The 650 has plenty of torque to get around cars without dropping a gear. Now, if you are in it purely for the looks and cool factor then by all means, go get your ZX6R.

.
trackdayhero is offline  
post #42 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 02:42 PM
MotoGP Champion
 
Jperez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Los Angeles, C.A.
Posts: 2,874

I Ride: 2012 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorokDesigns View Post
I guess I should tell you more about myself then. I know this doesn't make me not a beginner but I got my license about a year ago with the ninja 300 in mind when it just came out. It looked so sexy to me I had to have it even though some people were telling me that I would get bored of it's power.

I thought the 250 would be way too small and the 300 would be a great starter bike.

I couldn't get the financing though because I haven't built up a good enough credit score yet. Now a year later, and a year of thinking about it in the back of my mind now and then I have decided that I would rather go for something more powerful because I know myself and I know that I will not drive dangerously.

As you have seen in this thread, there are people who have started out on the zx6r. They are fine.

I am not blowing you all off who are telling me I should consider a less powerful bike. I understand where you are coming from. I am new and should learn on something more safe.

But you don't know me like I do, obviously haha. I know I'll drive safe. It's a risk but I think I will be fine.

So please, try to leave that topic alone. I'm thankful for you all trying to keep me safe. I'll be ok. And if not, it's my fault. Not yours.

For the most part, alot of us like giving the best advice possible, whether it's a mechanical issue, or just personal advice in general. That's just what we do (aside from the occasional flame session ).

You being a car guy, wouldn't you feel it's you're responsibility to advise against a 16-17 year old kid with pretty much ZERO driving experience that just got their license against buying a V8 Mustang GT as their first car?

I understand you're an adult and more responsible than an adolescent kid, but the facts are the same - you have NO experience on 2 wheels, dealing with traffic, no basic concept of the most basic fundamentals, and pretty much no idea what you're getting yourself into (no offense). Those that made it "ok" starting on a bigger bike are the exception...

Ultimately you'll do what you want. We advised against what you're planning... our conscience is clean
Jperez is offline  
post #43 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 03:40 PM
MotoGP Champion
 
PrestonK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 4,164

I Ride: 2011 ZX6R, 2013 Ninja 300
PrestonK is offline  
post #44 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLean2much View Post
it all depends if u wanna put some work into it or have it ready to go as is.

The only mods I would like to do asap, after maintenance of course, would be decal removal, the tail license plate eliminator kit, and an exhaust. I've been looking at pine box. I wish I could hear one in person though.

ready to go will cost you at least 1000 more than something you can customize to your likings.

I'd like to start fresh and customize to my liking. If possible.

if you wanna stay out of trouble and account for breaking stuff on it sooner or later (100% going to happen), keep it stock.
Do you wanna have to chase for aftermarket replacement or just go with sand on the beach OEM used parts you can snag off ebay

slip on exhaust is nice to look at, i got one on mine.

which did you go with?

expensive upgrade is a no name frame slider where it probably will be cheaper to buy a whole new set of no names instead of a replacement part for a Yoshi or Woodcraft.

milage... don't buy anything above 12k miles or you need to consider more serious maintenance work.

anything under 8k will most likely still have the original Chain and sprockets on ($200 to replace with).

Watch for the age and conditions of the tires. Production date stamp shouldn't be older than 4yrs (3409 = 34th calendar week of 2009) and wear bars in the tire center should have enough left on top and not close to flush with wear bar.

if your 07/08 bike has less than 4k milage you're looking at new battery and most likely clogged/dirty fuel injectors and rust inside the tank from bad storage.

Chinese fairings are a bad sign, so are scraped on bar ends and footpegs or even worse, tank, tail, mirrors and upper fairing side.


so your perfect bike should have 10k miles, fairly new chain and sprockets (4k old), fairly new tires (1k miles), OEM rearsets, original paint (watch for the kawasaki or ninja sticker on the tank with clearcoat on top), a nice slip on exhaust, cleaned up tail (if oem, who cares, just looks) and most importantly frequent oil changes done, every 3k miles. Doesn't even need to be on full synth oil.

Thank you!

little hint for when starting out with that bike... let some air into the front brake system so you have a spongy lever that won't hit the handlebar if adjusted out on the mid setting.

those brakes can stop on a dime if applied correctly (firm but progressively) and no grocery getter cage could possibly brake in time to not rear end you.

don't forget to put at least $500 aside for decent gear. if you skimp on kevlar jeans, so be it. but all that's separating you from 40grit sandpaper and the bike is your 0.1in thick skin plus another 0.05in of t'shirt or a thick sweater that won't protect you from smashed elbow joints, painful weeks in the hospital, light duty work and drastically cut paycheques for the next 4 months besides the medical bills.

I definitely won't skimp out on protective gear.


Quote:
Originally Posted by iLean2much View Post
Right, I totally forgot to mention the point that a big bike (anything above 500cc twin cyl) will only give you looks... until you pull into a parking lot and do all the noob stuff like searching for the kickstand and duckwalking it to into the parking spot or back out.

A less powerful and LIGHTER bike will teach you confidence and most importantly let you experience different scenarios where you will have the muscle power to werstle yourself out of a hairy situation.

It took me 4yrs to finally have my dream bike.
Starting off with an unwanted cbr125 going over to a much too big 01 carb zx600 and now finally having my 06 zx636.

i don't regret nothing other than not having waited another year so i could've afforded a ninja 250 as my 1st bike.

i'm a show off. i wanna put my skills up against all the other riders who've been on the streets for up to 20yrs.
95% of the street riding crowd around here is made up of parking lot sitter and coffee sipper and lots of talk!

I'm not a speed show off. I just like aesthetics.

you're not the first who comes along wanting to look good. but i'd be the first to point at you and laugh while picking up your poor bike you just dropped in front of everyone.

Then I'll try my best not to drop it haha.



"iLean over and Out!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackdayhero View Post
The reason I suggested the 650 was not so much to keep you safe. I don't doubt you could ride a ZX6R. The reason I suggested the 650 is because of how you claim you ride. For the way you say you ride I think you would like the 650 more. That is, it has more torque, is a much easier bike to ride down the highway, pass cars, etc. The ZX6R doesn't have a lot of power until you get it up into the high RPM range. That means to get around a car you have to drop it down a couple of gears to get the squirrels up to speed. The 650 has plenty of torque to get around cars without dropping a gear. Now, if you are in it purely for the looks and cool factor then by all means, go get your ZX6R.
Thank you for that very friendly post. I appreciate it! Looks is what I'm going for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jperez View Post
For the most part, alot of us like giving the best advice possible, whether it's a mechanical issue, or just personal advice in general. That's just what we do (aside from the occasional flame session ).

You being a car guy, wouldn't you feel it's you're responsibility to advise against a 16-17 year old kid with pretty much ZERO driving experience that just got their license against buying a V8 Mustang GT as their first car?

Cars are different imo. I would not advise against a mustang gt. The only way the person will get hurt driving that car is if they are an idiot or if something outside their control hurts them. Like a drunk driver.

I understand you're an adult and more responsible than an adolescent kid, but the facts are the same - you have NO experience on 2 wheels, dealing with traffic, no basic concept of the most basic fundamentals, and pretty much no idea what you're getting yourself into (no offense). Those that made it "ok" starting on a bigger bike are the exception...

I do have some experience, dirt bikes, but I know what you are saying. I'll take it easy.

Ultimately you'll do what you want. We advised against what you're planning... our conscience is clean
TorokDesigns is offline  
post #45 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 04:26 PM
Track Star
 
svandy224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: WNY
Posts: 376

I Ride: 2011 zx6r
I started on an R6 when I was 17. As long as you control yourself you'll be fine. Use your head.
Scorpi0 likes this.

Experienced Rider
svandy224 is offline  
Reply

  ZX6R Forum > Lobby > New Member Introductions

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Club update from oilman @ Opie Oils oilman Mechanical and Technical 0 05-20-2013 06:00 AM
Hi from oilman @ Opie Oils - New club discounts oilman New Member Introductions 6 10-22-2012 09:33 AM
To join or not to join... 2006foxx Motorcycle Talk 26 12-11-2011 11:11 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome