- Looking To Join The Club - - Page 2 - ZX6R Forum
 59Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 06:30 AM
Post Master General
 
ZXNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Murray, KY
Posts: 7,645

I Ride: 2011 ZX6R
Yea, take the advice of the seasoned members here. You may be responsible driver but motorcycles are a different story and 600's are a lot less forgiving at even momentary mistakes. As a beginner you will not know how to react to every situation appropriately. ninja 650 is a good platform for learning
beckzach05 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodas6r View Post
1nastyZ and zxnasty, forum a-holes, and heroes
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterZX View Post
lol I am picturing nasty coming rolling off the bike and then just jumping up out of it and goin into a gas station buy a monster and start drinking it like nothing just happened
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLean2much View Post
you're not the first who comes along wanting to look good. but i'd be the first to point at you and laugh while picking up your poor bike you just dropped in front of everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kninja View Post
beef curtins
AKA Princess
ZXNasty is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 06:45 AM
World Superbike Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: .
Posts: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfromphilly1 View Post
Sorry, you don't want guidance on a first bike. You want reassurance that what you've pre-chosen is good for you. I'll not do that for you, new riders don't belong on supersports and I don't like hearing about riders going down because they bit off more than they can chew.
He chose... poorly - YouTube
beckzach05 is offline  
post #18 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 25
To reply to most of you in one message, I did not come here for assurance that the zx6r is the right bike for me.

I came here to get friendly advice from people who spend their life looking at motorcycles (as I do with cars).

The advice I'm looking for is not which bike to get, it is, what should I look for when buying a 2008 zx6r?

What kind of mileage is good, ok, bad? What should I make sure to inspect on the bike? What price ranges are fair for the mileage?

I'd really appreciate advice on those topics from all you seasoned bike owners and I hope none of my messages come off as rude. I'm just here to have fun and join the club
TorokDesigns is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 07:54 AM
Post Master General
 
ZXNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Murray, KY
Posts: 7,645

I Ride: 2011 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorokDesigns View Post
To reply to most of you in one message, I did not come here for assurance that the zx6r is the right bike for me.

I came here to get friendly advice from people who spend their life looking at motorcycles (as I do with cars).

The advice I'm looking for is not which bike to get, it is, what should I look for when buying a 2008 zx6r?

What kind of mileage is good, ok, bad? What should I make sure to inspect on the bike? What price ranges are fair for the mileage?

I'd really appreciate advice on those topics from all you seasoned bike owners and I hope none of my messages come off as rude. I'm just here to have fun and join the club
I'll answer your questions but I'm going to start off by saying that just by refusing to even consider what everyone here has said about that as a starter bike is about the most glaring sign of being a beginner. You should really consider something else. That being said here's your answers.

Mileage itself is not a factor of what you should look for. Things to look at would be chain, chain slack/adjustment, seals, tire wear, bar ends for scuffs, any other scuffs, fork seals, all fluid levels, aftermarket parts (why were OEM parts replaced) That is no means an exhaustive list.

Some 07-08's maybe all, not sure. Had a recall on head gaskets leaking. See if that one applies to the recall and if it has been done. Ask about regular maintenance. If there is lacing information walk away as you'd be taking a chance.

But please look into and actually consider the comments written here. These are seasoned bikers with reasoning to what they wrote
ianc likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodas6r View Post
1nastyZ and zxnasty, forum a-holes, and heroes
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterZX View Post
lol I am picturing nasty coming rolling off the bike and then just jumping up out of it and goin into a gas station buy a monster and start drinking it like nothing just happened
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLean2much View Post
you're not the first who comes along wanting to look good. but i'd be the first to point at you and laugh while picking up your poor bike you just dropped in front of everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kninja View Post
beef curtins
AKA Princess
ZXNasty is offline  
post #20 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 25
I guess I should tell you more about myself then. I know this doesn't make me not a beginner but I got my license about a year ago with the ninja 300 in mind when it just came out. It looked so sexy to me I had to have it even though some people were telling me that I would get bored of it's power.

I thought the 250 would be way too small and the 300 would be a great starter bike.

I couldn't get the financing though because I haven't built up a good enough credit score yet. Now a year later, and a year of thinking about it in the back of my mind now and then I have decided that I would rather go for something more powerful because I know myself and I know that I will not drive dangerously.

As you have seen in this thread, there are people who have started out on the zx6r. They are fine.

I am not blowing you all off who are telling me I should consider a less powerful bike. I understand where you are coming from. I am new and should learn on something more safe.

But you don't know me like I do, obviously haha. I know I'll drive safe. It's a risk but I think I will be fine.

So please, try to leave that topic alone. I'm thankful for you all trying to keep me safe. I'll be ok. And if not, it's my fault. Not yours.
TorokDesigns is offline  
post #21 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 08:02 AM
Pro Racer
 
07chuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Racine WI
Posts: 828

I Ride: 08 zx6r
Looking for sticker residual or numbers on windshield is kind of a turn off too, usually means someone beat the crap out of it on the drag strip, have you got any 2 wheel experience?
07chuck is offline  
post #22 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXNasty View Post
I'll answer your questions but I'm going to start off by saying that just by refusing to even consider what everyone here has said about that as a starter bike is about the most glaring sign of being a beginner. You should really consider something else. That being said here's your answers.

Mileage itself is not a factor of what you should look for. Things to look at would be chain, chain slack/adjustment, seals, tire wear, bar ends for scuffs, any other scuffs, fork seals, all fluid levels, aftermarket parts (why were OEM parts replaced) That is no means an exhaustive list.

Some 07-08's maybe all, not sure. Had a recall on head gaskets leaking. See if that one applies to the recall and if it has been done. Ask about regular maintenance. If there is lacing information walk away as you'd be taking a chance.

But please look into and actually consider the comments written here. These are seasoned bikers with reasoning to what they wrote
Ok thank you. Can anyone add anything else? I'll use this info when I go check out bikes. Find out the info, and then post it up here for you all to help me figure out a fair price. If that's ok?
TorokDesigns is offline  
post #23 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07chuck View Post
Looking for sticker residual or numbers on windshield is kind of a turn off too, usually means someone beat the crap out of it on the drag strip, have you got any 2 wheel experience?
I do have dirt bike experience, and I am licensed for motorcycles.
TorokDesigns is offline  
post #24 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 08:08 AM
MotoGP Champion
 
Ebster1085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 4,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorokDesigns View Post
I came here to get friendly advice from people who spend their life looking at motorcycles (as I do with cars).
Again, not trying to rain on your parade, but all us avid motorcyclists who spend our lives enjoying this hobby DID give you advice and you promptly ignored it...

I urge you to reconsider, but hey, its your life.
beckzach05 likes this.
Ebster1085 is offline  
post #25 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 08:08 AM
MotoGP Champion
 
Sandman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 5,094
Have you taken any MSF courses??

You should at least consider this prior to purchasing a bike ... any bike.
ZXNasty, PrestonK and beckzach05 like this.
Sandman is offline  
post #26 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 08:10 AM
Team Green
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Maryville, TN
Posts: 203

I Ride: 03 ZX6R, 78 GS1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Have you taken any MSF courses??

You should at least consider this prior to purchasing a bike ... any bike.

This.
ianc is offline  
post #27 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebster1085 View Post
Again, not trying to rain on your parade, but all us avid motorcyclists who spend our lives enjoying this hobby DID give you advice and you promptly ignored it...

I urge you to reconsider, but hey, its your life.
I'm not ignoring them. I'm not trying to be rude. It may look like that because it's the internet but I assure you I respect their opinions and advice. I will continue to think about which motorcycle to get until I actually get one, but as of right now, weighing all the opinions etc.. I have decided to go with the zx6r.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Have you taken any MSF courses??

You should at least consider this prior to purchasing a bike ... any bike.
Yes there were safety courses and lessons with the license test I took
TorokDesigns is offline  
post #28 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 08:31 AM
World Superbike Racer
 
Off Camber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NOVA
Posts: 1,652
Not knowing a lot about motorcycles, it's normal to think that a 600 would be a good compromise. a bike right in the the middle engine-wise. Did you know that my ZX6R 636 has twice the horsepower of the Ninja 650?.

Your a car guy just like many of us. Would you start out with a first car that runs the 1/4 mile in the mid 10s?. Heck, the Ninja650 runs mid 12s, isn't that good enough for you? (plus the riding position is easier to learn on).

We're not trying put you down, we're trying to help you. Buying one bike just to save the hassle is a false economy. There's a lot more at stake here than you realize (and you will actually learn more quickly with the smaller bike).
beckzach05 and Strider like this.
Off Camber is offline  
post #29 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 08:40 AM
MotoGP Champion
 
Sandman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 5,094
Torok - I'm a car guy too. I have an 06 GTO with a ton of mods. It's really fast, easily runs in the 12's.

It's really slow compared to my bike. If you're deadset on getting a supersport, you BETTER have discipline. They like to bite.


Seriously, go take a couple of MSF courses if you haven't. You said you've taken safety courses, but didn't specify. Also, make sure you already have gear prior to buying your bike.
Sandman is offline  
post #30 of 83 Old 01-22-2014, 08:46 AM
Post Master General
 
ZXNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Murray, KY
Posts: 7,645

I Ride: 2011 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodas6r View Post
1nastyZ and zxnasty, forum a-holes, and heroes
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterZX View Post
lol I am picturing nasty coming rolling off the bike and then just jumping up out of it and goin into a gas station buy a monster and start drinking it like nothing just happened
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLean2much View Post
you're not the first who comes along wanting to look good. but i'd be the first to point at you and laugh while picking up your poor bike you just dropped in front of everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kninja View Post
beef curtins
AKA Princess
ZXNasty is offline  
Reply

  ZX6R Forum > Lobby > New Member Introductions

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Club update from oilman @ Opie Oils oilman Mechanical and Technical 0 05-20-2013 06:00 AM
Hi from oilman @ Opie Oils - New club discounts oilman New Member Introductions 6 10-22-2012 09:33 AM
To join or not to join... 2006foxx Motorcycle Talk 26 12-11-2011 11:11 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome