New 2017 ZX6R KRT owner - ZX6R Forum
 26Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 Old 04-25-2018, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Da woods
Posts: 41

I Ride: 2017 ZX6R KRT Edition
Garage
Smile New 2017 ZX6R KRT owner

Hello ladies and gents, boys and gals, thing 1 and 2...

New to the forums here and wanted to introduce myself, about 2 weeks ago I picked up a 2017 ZX6R KRT Edition with 0 miles (well 3 due to assembly) from a local Kawasaki dealer and have already put over 1000 miles on her. She's a non-ABS and I had them install Vortex V3 frame sliders, and Driven Racing swing arm spools for the potential of a low side (which has yet to happen and hopefully won't) and to help maintaining the beautiful machine with the Vortex rear stand.

Currently I have the bike at the dealer doing the initial 1000 mile service (checking all bolts, oil/filter change after break-in, etc) especially after having my first experience with tank slapper/speed wobbles from hitting a pothole in WNY on the thruway. I've already cleaned/lubed the chain and plan on doing most/all services myself as I used to be an auto tech/engine builder and built my WRX from the ground up. I opted for the 5 year/unlimited mile Kawasaki Warranty as I plan to keep the bike relatively stock and my dealer has informed me that Kawasaki is relatively relaxed on mods as long as they aren't the cause of powertrain failure.

Regarding mods planned, I'll start with a HID low beam, LEDs for all other locations, adjustable long clutch lever/short brake lever, tank/leg grips..then work into a Yoshi R-77 Carbon slip-on with cross-over pipe (to be heard better) and a PC (unless there's a better tuner, dealer recommended PC), and a DIY/Yoshi-style fender eliminator to stay as legal as possible. The bike is a daily, so if you recommend parts/mods keep that in mind.

As for safety I've already been suited up in full Cortech gear (3 layer jacket, waterproof overpants, and summer gloves), Tourmaster boots, and HJC FG-17 helmet with fiberglass/kevlar weave. I'm snagging a tinted visor in the next week or so, and eventually a Sena 20s EVO/30K as wired earbuds are nice but annoying due to no control, and ones with mic/remote have interference with the ignition system causing distortion.


I'm located in WNY in the Rochester area so if you're nearby don't be afraid to say hello! I'm pretty laid back yet adventurous and go hiking/exploring often, so show me some great spots for pictures and curves!

Hope to meet some fellow riders and go on cruises soon!

DillyD
DillyD is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 54 Old 04-25-2018, 03:55 PM
ZX6r.com Supporting Member
Supporting Member
 
Indy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Indianapolis, In
Posts: 2,919
Garage
HELLO, Dilly..

Welcome to the forum and love to hear your enjoying the bike.

Fantastic intro, past ride's? Riding for a bit?

Lastly, pictures or it didn't happen.
Indy is offline  
post #3 of 54 Old 04-25-2018, 05:40 PM
World Superbike Champion
 
JOEY11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The sewer state, NJ
Posts: 2,359

I Ride: 2012 ZX6R
Good idea with the extended warranty. I bought it as well and 4yrs after I got it the rectifier and stator took a shit and got it fixed for free along with a new starter. You have to post pics or no one will believe you really own it
Gawernator likes this.
JOEY11 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 54 Old 04-25-2018, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Da woods
Posts: 41

I Ride: 2017 ZX6R KRT Edition
Garage
@Indy , as for past rides..I've had an old Honda 3 wheeler and still have a 88 Kawasaki Bayou 220 all original (needs a battery) and my uncle (lives nearby) always lets me ride his older bikes/ATVs (had a Suzuki DRZ400 street legal, Honda CRF125) also a 700cc EFI Arctic Cat quad, and 2 sleds (1200cc Rotax, 800cc Polaris I think) and now has a 2-stroke KTM and a 4-stroke KTM (not sure on size) as well as a trials bike (125cc, not sure brand) that we're building a small course for. Other than that I've just owned cars..only one really worth mentioning is my 02 WRX that's bored/stroked/geared/full de-catted exhaust/injectors...

@JOEY11 , good to know but I hope I don't need to replace anything under warranty, then again I put 1000+ miles on it in under a week so ya never know!

Also it's been bi-polar weather up here so one day it snows AND melts 5 times, the next day it's 70, the next there's an ice storm...you get the picture, well not yet haha! Check out my instagram @DillyD 636 as I'll post pics on there more as the weather stays nicer like it has been lately. I've got a couple from the day I picked her up and went around a lake near my place later that day. Been meaning to get a few including me on the bike but between the crap weather and working almost all day every day I haven't had a chance, plus I figure once it warms up I can get a girl to snap some shots of me on it hehe
Gawernator likes this.

Last edited by DillyD; 05-03-2018 at 09:24 AM.
DillyD is offline  
post #5 of 54 Old 04-28-2018, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Da woods
Posts: 41

I Ride: 2017 ZX6R KRT Edition
Garage
So I had the 1000 mile service done after a 600 mile trip over the weekend last weekend and when I got to work 2 days ago I noticed steam coming off the bike. It was a sunny 55*F day so no rain and I look down and saw oil all over the rear of the bike, the filler cap had flew off after I got off the highway and coated my boot and rear tire/brake/swing arm/exhaust. Not sure but I think the tech didn't tighten the cap and yeah, anyways the dealer sent the tech out to check the bike over and said it only spat out maybe 0.15-0.25 of a quart, replaced the cap, and washed/polished the whole bike.

While I was pretty livid at first, they corrected their mistake and also gave me a nice discount on some stuff I ordered through them. Here's my question, the rear brake didn't bite at all for the last day and a half..but lately it's been biting again. Do I just need to burn the oil off or have them replace the rear pads too? Tire has still been very grippy though...

Thoughts?
DillyD is offline  
post #6 of 54 Old 04-28-2018, 07:13 PM
Team Green
 
MizzouRah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Troy, MO
Posts: 115

I Ride: 2016 ZX-6R ABS
Hello! You might want to think about getting a steering damper. I have a GPR and love it.

Sounds like you have a good dealer there, they went the extra mile which is great service! Be safe out there! I would take the bike into the dealer and have them check the brakes just to be on the safe side.
Gawernator likes this.
MizzouRah is offline  
post #7 of 54 Old 04-29-2018, 02:56 AM
Post Master General
 
RJ2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bowling Green, VA
Posts: 11,207

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by DillyD View Post
So I had the 1000 mile service done after a 600 mile trip over the weekend last weekend and when I got to work 2 days ago I noticed steam coming off the bike. It was a sunny 55*F day so no rain and I look down and saw oil all over the rear of the bike, the filler cap had flew off after I got off the highway and coated my boot and rear tire/brake/swing arm/exhaust. Not sure but I think the tech didn't tighten the cap and yeah, anyways the dealer sent the tech out to check the bike over and said it only spat out maybe 0.15-0.25 of a quart, replaced the cap, and washed/polished the whole bike.

While I was pretty livid at first, they corrected their mistake and also gave me a nice discount on some stuff I ordered through them. Here's my question, the rear brake didn't bite at all for the last day and a half..but lately it's been biting again. Do I just need to burn the oil off or have them replace the rear pads too? Tire has still been very grippy though...

Thoughts?
New pads. Oil soaks in due to the porous nature of the pads. Whenever they get hot, more oil will weep out.
Gawernator likes this.

"Basic stuff fellas. Use your head for something other than to break your next fall."
RJ2112 is offline  
post #8 of 54 Old 04-29-2018, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Da woods
Posts: 41

I Ride: 2017 ZX6R KRT Edition
Garage
@RJ2112 that's what I was thinking. The bite has been coming back, before I couldn't slow down at all with the rear (vs engine braking) and I could almost overpower with my feet...now it's a noticeable difference in rear braking but still I feel it's subpar, I can't even lock up the rear wheel still.
DillyD is offline  
post #9 of 54 Old 05-02-2018, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Da woods
Posts: 41

I Ride: 2017 ZX6R KRT Edition
Garage
UPDATE: So after riding around and talking to the dealer, the rear brake is fully functional again. I had to burn off the oil that soaked in, the dealer confirmed (buddy is a tech there) and I can easily lock up the rear wheel again.

This thing is so much fun, we’ve had some nice warm weather 76+ and I’ve gotten more comfortable with the bike. Haven’t really switched into Full power mode much, nor have I turned off KTRC yet. Even in L/KTRC1 it still will pop the wheel up but that wasn’t the intention.

I want to start practicing getting the front wheel up bit by bit. I’ve heard clutch-ups are preferred once you get them down? And I live where there isn’t any traffic and plenty of straight/flat
Gawernator likes this.
DillyD is offline  
post #10 of 54 Old 05-02-2018, 04:30 AM
Team Green
 
houltmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 158

I Ride: '16 ZX-6R 30th Anniversary
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DillyD View Post
UPDATE: So after riding around and talking to the dealer, the rear brake is fully functional again. I had to burn off the oil that soaked in, the dealer confirmed (buddy is a tech there) and I can easily lock up the rear wheel again.

This thing is so much fun, we’ve had some nice warm weather 76+ and I’ve gotten more comfortable with the bike. Haven’t really switched into Full power mode much, nor have I turned off KTRC yet. Even in L/KTRC1 it still will pop the wheel up but that wasn’t the intention.

I want to start practicing getting the front wheel up bit by bit. I’ve heard clutch-ups are preferred once you get them down? And I live where there isn’t any traffic and plenty of straight/flat
Glad you got the oil related bits sorted, seems like a heck of a first week for you.

The most wheelie loving rider I know, Downshift83, has just rejoined the forums and has loads of videos on his YouTube channel about wheelies. Worth a watch and I'm sure he'll chime in if you start a thread about any issues you have with them.
Gawernator and DillyD like this.

Matt
2016 ZX-6R 30th Anniversary
Akrapovic slip-on & link pipe, Lextech Levers, Radiator Grille, Bobbins, Micro LED Indicators, Tail Tidy, Pro Grip 717's, ProGrip Tank, K&N Air Filter
2010 Kawasaki ZX-6R 599 White (Gone)
2010 Kawasaki ZX-6R 599 Black (Gone)
houltmac is offline  
post #11 of 54 Old 05-02-2018, 04:40 AM
ZX6r.com Supporting Member
Supporting Member
 
Indy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Indianapolis, In
Posts: 2,919
Garage
Might practice doing the wheelies on another bike to get the basics down.
Damage from wheelies won't be covered under your warranty.

Does your upper and lower gear zip together?
Gawernator and DillyD like this.
Indy is offline  
post #12 of 54 Old 05-02-2018, 06:10 AM
Post Master General
 
ZXNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Murray, KY
Posts: 7,645

I Ride: 2011 ZX6R
Welcome, I also request pics.
Gawernator and DillyD like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodas6r View Post
1nastyZ and zxnasty, forum a-holes, and heroes
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterZX View Post
lol I am picturing nasty coming rolling off the bike and then just jumping up out of it and goin into a gas station buy a monster and start drinking it like nothing just happened
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLean2much View Post
you're not the first who comes along wanting to look good. but i'd be the first to point at you and laugh while picking up your poor bike you just dropped in front of everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kninja View Post
beef curtins
AKA Princess
ZXNasty is offline  
post #13 of 54 Old 05-03-2018, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Da woods
Posts: 41

I Ride: 2017 ZX6R KRT Edition
Garage
@houltmac Yeah it's been interesting haha. I'll have to check @downshift83 videos for sure! It may be another month before I really start trying (May is our rainy month in my area and hit or miss).

@Indy I thought about the getting another bike to learn them with, but the market is dumb expensive here for used/old 600s which I'd want to keep the feel similar for my current bike.

As for the suit, yes the jacket/pants zip together (in the back) and have side straps to help keep it in one place.

@ZXNasty Follow my new Instagram, just made an account just for my ZX636R adventures! @DillyD 636

I'm at work so I can't post here.
DillyD is offline  
post #14 of 54 Old 05-03-2018, 10:02 AM
Post Master General
 
ZXNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Murray, KY
Posts: 7,645

I Ride: 2011 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by DillyD View Post
@houltmac Yeah it's been interesting haha. I'll have to check @downshift83 videos for sure! It may be another month before I really start trying (May is our rainy month in my area and hit or miss).

@Indy I thought about the getting another bike to learn them with, but the market is dumb expensive here for used/old 600s which I'd want to keep the feel similar for my current bike.

As for the suit, yes the jacket/pants zip together (in the back) and have side straps to help keep it in one place.

@ZXNasty Follow my new Instagram, just made an account just for my ZX636R adventures! @DillyD 636

I'm at work so I can't post here.
I'll give you a follow, at least from my car Insta Heathen5.0
DillyD likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodas6r View Post
1nastyZ and zxnasty, forum a-holes, and heroes
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterZX View Post
lol I am picturing nasty coming rolling off the bike and then just jumping up out of it and goin into a gas station buy a monster and start drinking it like nothing just happened
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLean2much View Post
you're not the first who comes along wanting to look good. but i'd be the first to point at you and laugh while picking up your poor bike you just dropped in front of everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kninja View Post
beef curtins
AKA Princess
ZXNasty is offline  
post #15 of 54 Old 05-03-2018, 02:38 PM
World Superbike Champion
 
JOEY11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The sewer state, NJ
Posts: 2,359

I Ride: 2012 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by DillyD View Post
UPDATE: So after riding around and talking to the dealer, the rear brake is fully functional again. I had to burn off the oil that soaked in, the dealer confirmed (buddy is a tech there) and I can easily lock up the rear wheel again.

This thing is so much fun, we’ve had some nice warm weather 76+ and I’ve gotten more comfortable with the bike. Haven’t really switched into Full power mode much, nor have I turned off KTRC yet. Even in L/KTRC1 it still will pop the wheel up but that wasn’t the intention.

I want to start practicing getting the front wheel up bit by bit. I’ve heard clutch-ups are preferred once you get them down? And I live where there isn’t any traffic and plenty of straight/flat
It should stand up on its own just winding it out in 1st and 2nd. It's not going to stand straight up but you'll get a feel for having air between the road and front tire I do clutch ups in 2nd and it's easy to bring it up. Just have to practice, practice, practice. Just start lower in rpm's and keep your foot over the rear brake pedal in case of an "oh shit" moment. Just think of it like youre accelerating and shifting gears but not letting off the throttle and not actually changing gears, just keep on the gas and flick the clutch lever and keep twisting the throttle. Nothing worse than a jackass showing off on the street and crashing and hurting someone else so do it in an empty lot or somewhere with no traffic and close to home just in case you trash it. Good luck
Gawernator and DillyD like this.
JOEY11 is offline  
Reply

  ZX6R Forum > Lobby > New Member Introductions

Tags
636 , dillyd , krt edition , n00b , zx6r

« Hey | hi »
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finally a Proud ZX6R Owner rogal88 New Member Introductions 14 01-29-2018 11:26 PM
New 2015 ZX6R owner VohrteFahrt New Member Introductions 9 04-08-2017 02:56 PM
G1-2 hugger fit j1-2 salami Mechanical and Technical 2 06-21-2016 01:36 PM
Hi from a new zx6r owner. kidraven New Member Introductions 12 10-06-2011 10:31 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome