Front Brake Lever Anti-Theft Devices - ZX6R Forum
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By capitalcrew
  • 1 Post By riverszzr
  • 1 Post By RedAndBlack
  • 2 Post By riverszzr
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 06-20-2017, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer
 
RedAndBlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,757

I Ride: 2013 ZX6R
Front Brake Lever Anti-Theft Devices

Hello everybody, the technical expertise I get from this forum has been second to none so I figured I would post here.

I've been seeing tons of advertisements for these Front Brake Lever Anti-Theft Devices.

My concern is what, if any, possible damage can this cause to the brake systems? I feel like keeping the braking system under constant pressure would damage it, especially the master cylinder. Kind of like keeping a bike's forks compressed in the back of a trailer for a long period of time.

Is this a legit concern?

EDIT: The below picture is for a clutch ? ? ? Ignore that fact, I just wanted to post a picture so people would get a visual of what I'm talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l300.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	66833  


Last edited by RedAndBlack; 06-20-2017 at 12:40 PM.
RedAndBlack is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 06-20-2017, 11:45 AM
Director of Moderation
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,497

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
1. It is not the same thing as keeping forks compressed. In that case you're compressing mechanical springs, where as this is hydraulic pressure. It doesn't damage anything. I do this all the time with a zip-tie in my garage because it helps to bleed air from the system and gives a better feel of the brake temporarily. I leave it over 1 or 2 days, except for I squeeze the shit out of it. For anti-theft purposes you wouldn't even have to do that, just a light squeeze would be enough to move the pads snug against the rotor making it pretty much impossible to roll the wheel without increasing the pressure in the system by too much.

2. Why do they have it on the clutch lever in the pictures below?? lol How is that helpful? I mean sure you couldn't ride it anywhere, but it would be just as easy to roll around and steal it lol.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (sold)
2009 ZX6R (parted out across North America)
2015 R3 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400 (race bike)
2013 RSV4 (race bike)

April 2016 and April 2017 6OTM winner!
sbk1198 is online now  
post #3 of 13 Old 06-20-2017, 11:50 AM
Post Master General
 
capitalcrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Albany NY
Posts: 6,102

I Ride: 2016 gsxr 750, 2007 zx6r
I don't have a lot of faith in something like that.. pretty easy to cut the line and roll it lol. Someone who's there to steal it isn't going to be deterred by that little issue IMO
sbk1198 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ey3l45h View Post
I forgot I had some ghost pepper chunks in my stock bag, and made lentils last night. I am currently shitting pure lava. Public schools canít teach this kind of big brain stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellonearth View Post
I don't always scroll right past a post, but when I do, it's usually a half page from rivers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpi0 View Post
Badger is probably getting his fap on to all you guys' pics. With his left hand, because hes a hardcore liberal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laggy311 View Post
No one smashes my shit-pussy. Iím on top.
capitalcrew is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 13 Old 06-20-2017, 11:54 AM
Team Green
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 170

I Ride: 09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcrew View Post
I don't have a lot of faith in something like that.. pretty easy to cut the line and roll it lol. Someone who's there to steal it isn't going to be deterred by that little issue IMO
True, but I don't think there's much a person could do to deter those fully committed to theft. Most anti-theft measures will at best keep the "honest" thieves honest. Reduces the chances of just being a target of opportunity.

That is the biggest reason I keep full coverage on mine. If it gets stolen, maybe I can't fully replace it, but at least I won't be out everything.
harleystyles is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 06-20-2017, 12:16 PM
Post Master General
 
riverszzr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Frozen hell of the north
Posts: 7,186

I Ride: 97k '07 ZZR600, 2014 Ninja 300, 37k 89 FZR400 racebike, 56k 06 ZX6R track only, 21k 97 ZX6R F model
Garage
Anything can be stolen by those who are determined enough...

This is simply a deterrant for the would be thief to move along to an easier target....
unless they chose to remove the lever bolt, cut the lever, cut the lines, would all be pretty fast and easy to repair later

but I suspect they would simply move along to an easier target over the added time and energy this would take........ unless they are really determined
That fastest theft is always, just two guys in a pick up (trailer or not)- back up the intended target, lift it into the back of the truck/trailer and drive away... I do not see this even slowing that process down- it may actually help since the front wheel would not rotate when they use it as a grab point
PainfullySlo likes this.

woohoo we are having fun now
Stupid people say stupid things on the internet, so be wary of who those people are. If you solicit advice on the internet, just keep in mind 99% of what you'll receive is not based on fact or science-and likely atleast 95% of it is based on bullshit and bravado regurgitated from some other schlub who also did not experience any of what they claim and are also full of shit. If you don't like my bluntness- too bad. I am not here to please you, so move along, your approval is not desired nor is it needed. So before opening your pie hole and adding more stupidity, perhaps sit back, listen, absorb and learn something. You know that saying, it is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!
riverszzr is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 06-20-2017, 12:22 PM
Post Master General
 
capitalcrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Albany NY
Posts: 6,102

I Ride: 2016 gsxr 750, 2007 zx6r
Yeah, it would actually make the truck method easier lol. Best thing you can do is keep the bike in sight IMO. Maybe an alarm for when it's close but out of sight. I don't ride my bike anywhere unless I can see it from where I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ey3l45h View Post
I forgot I had some ghost pepper chunks in my stock bag, and made lentils last night. I am currently shitting pure lava. Public schools canít teach this kind of big brain stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellonearth View Post
I don't always scroll right past a post, but when I do, it's usually a half page from rivers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpi0 View Post
Badger is probably getting his fap on to all you guys' pics. With his left hand, because hes a hardcore liberal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laggy311 View Post
No one smashes my shit-pussy. Iím on top.
capitalcrew is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 06-20-2017, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer
 
RedAndBlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,757

I Ride: 2013 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
1. It is not the same thing as keeping forks compressed. In that case you're compressing mechanical springs, where as this is hydraulic pressure. It doesn't damage anything. I do this all the time with a zip-tie in my garage because it helps to bleed air from the system and gives a better feel of the brake temporarily. I leave it over 1 or 2 days, except for I squeeze the shit out of it. For anti-theft purposes you wouldn't even have to do that, just a light squeeze would be enough to move the pads snug against the rotor making it pretty much impossible to roll the wheel without increasing the pressure in the system by too much.

2. Why do they have it on the clutch lever in the pictures below?? lol How is that helpful? I mean sure you couldn't ride it anywhere, but it would be just as easy to roll around and steal it lol.
Yes! I've done the zip tie method as well, but I meant more for like every night for the period of months/years. I'm not exactly sure how the internals of the brake calipers and masters work, so not sure how resilient they are to this type of constant pressure.

As for the clutch picture, just small oversight on my part. I literally just posted first image I could find so people would know what I was talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcrew View Post
I don't have a lot of faith in something like that.. pretty easy to cut the line and roll it lol. Someone who's there to steal it isn't going to be deterred by that little issue IMO
That's a good point! But a lot of thieves here are breaking the fork locks and hot wiring the ZX6Rs and presumably driving off with them. (We know this because A lot of my friends get their bikes back because the bikes are dumped back on the street after fairing removal.) So I presume cutting the brake lines would be less than ideal.
RedAndBlack is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 06-20-2017, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer
 
RedAndBlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,757

I Ride: 2013 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverszzr View Post
Anything can be stolen by those who are determined enough...

This is simply a deterrant for the would be thief to move along to an easier target....
unless they chose to remove the lever bolt, cut the lever, cut the lines, would all be pretty fast and easy to repair later

but I suspect they would simply move along to an easier target over the added time and energy this would take........ unless they are really determined
That fastest theft is always, just two guys in a pick up (trailer or not)- back up the intended target, lift it into the back of the truck/trailer and drive away... I do not see this even slowing that process down- it may actually help since the front wheel would not rotate when they use it as a grab point
Great point Riverszzr! How about your opinion on the damage to the brake system these can do? Any concern on any master cylinder or brake caliper components? You're probably the smartest guy on here!
RedAndBlack is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 06-20-2017, 01:44 PM
Director of Moderation
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,497

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAndBlack View Post
Yes! I've done the zip tie method as well, but I meant more for like every night for the period of months/years. I'm not exactly sure how the internals of the brake calipers and masters work, so not sure how resilient they are to this type of constant pressure.

As for the clutch picture, just small oversight on my part. I literally just posted first image I could find so people would know what I was talking about.
They can handle it just fine. It's just static pressure and it's not much. Cycling pressure is much harder on seals than a constant pressure.

I still think best thing to do is to put an alarm on and connect a self-destructing explosive device to the bike that's controlled by your phone. As soon as they drive off with it, blow that sucker up! You get insurance money, they get burned...literally!

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (sold)
2009 ZX6R (parted out across North America)
2015 R3 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400 (race bike)
2013 RSV4 (race bike)

April 2016 and April 2017 6OTM winner!
sbk1198 is online now  
post #10 of 13 Old 06-20-2017, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer
 
RedAndBlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,757

I Ride: 2013 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
They can handle it just fine. It's just static pressure and it's not much. Cycling pressure is much harder on seals than a constant pressure.

I still think best thing to do is to put an alarm on and connect a self-destructing explosive device to the bike that's controlled by your phone. As soon as they drive off with it, blow that sucker up! You get insurance money, they get burned...literally!
Thanks for the insight and hahahahahaha.

I was just genuinely curious about these. I don't have much need for anti-theft. My bike is garage kept behind my car and as a track rider and canyon carver, it's never really kept unattended for long in any sketchy areas. So I'm definitely on the lower spectrum of chance of bike theft. But who knows, if I came across a cheap one, might not be a bad investment for the very few times I do take it out at night or somewhere shady.
sbk1198 likes this.
RedAndBlack is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 06-21-2017, 01:33 PM
Post Master General
 
riverszzr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Frozen hell of the north
Posts: 7,186

I Ride: 97k '07 ZZR600, 2014 Ninja 300, 37k 89 FZR400 racebike, 56k 06 ZX6R track only, 21k 97 ZX6R F model
Garage
I do not see the constant pressure on the braking system hydraulics causing any damage.

I have had bikes with the lever zip tied for months on end without issue
RedAndBlack and sbk1198 like this.

woohoo we are having fun now
Stupid people say stupid things on the internet, so be wary of who those people are. If you solicit advice on the internet, just keep in mind 99% of what you'll receive is not based on fact or science-and likely atleast 95% of it is based on bullshit and bravado regurgitated from some other schlub who also did not experience any of what they claim and are also full of shit. If you don't like my bluntness- too bad. I am not here to please you, so move along, your approval is not desired nor is it needed. So before opening your pie hole and adding more stupidity, perhaps sit back, listen, absorb and learn something. You know that saying, it is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!
riverszzr is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 06-21-2017, 03:41 PM
Pro Racer
 
Enrosabil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 805

I Ride: Zx6r -09, vfr400 -87, dorsoduro 1200 -11


This or a wrench on one of the bleeders, bike is rolling away in seconds.

To remove a brake disc lock they would at least have to bring something fairly large.



"Its not about being first on the gas, its being first to full gas"
- Simon Crafar
Enrosabil is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 07-10-2017, 04:58 PM
Track Star
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Stanton, CA
Posts: 503
Garage
I mentioned you can easily defeat this on a Facebook ad for this product by opening the bleed screw.

As for seals, putting them under pressure for a long time under a static load will have little to no effect. Friction and cyclic loads are much more damaging. At worst you're going to see a very mild thermal cycling on the seals as temps rise and fall daily, but from my experience unless your cycling between minus 40 and 85c, you're unlikely to see issues here.
CKwik240 is offline  
Reply

  ZX6R Forum > ZX6R Forum > Motorcycle Talk

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Front brake doesn't work sometimes! haros Mechanical and Technical 31 05-11-2015 07:36 AM
06 636 Front Brake Issue w1ck3d zx6r Mechanical and Technical 4 04-06-2015 03:21 AM
ZX6R b1h front rotors (brake discs) fassi1 Mechanical and Technical 4 07-27-2014 06:24 AM
Brake lever to high EvilTwin Motorcycle Talk 1 10-01-2010 11:24 PM
(How To) Front Brake Pad Replacement ZoomSplat Guides 14 07-02-2009 07:31 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome