Track Days 2019 - Page 8 - ZX6R Forum
 75Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #106 of 191 Old 06-18-2019, 09:14 AM
Team Green
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 148
Garage
On first video I noticed you may be going into T10 too soon, practically after T9 apex. I maybe wrong of course but from my observations coaches usually stay just a bit longer to the right after T9 before flipping into T10.
gustaveberg likes this.

Last edited by goblin; 06-18-2019 at 09:18 AM.
goblin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #107 of 191 Old 06-18-2019, 09:22 AM
Team Green
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 148
Garage
watched your battle with r1. I thought intermediate aren't allowed to pass on the inside. Intimidating.
goblin is offline  
post #108 of 191 Old 06-18-2019, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Track Star
 
gustaveberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Elizabethtown, PA
Posts: 484

I Ride: 2013 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by goblin View Post
On first video I noticed you may be going into T10 too soon, practically after T9 apex. I maybe wrong of course but from my observations coaches usually stay just a bit longer to the right after T9 before flipping into T10.
Ya, I would agree...I had some issues there through out the day. I also noticed coaches doing a few different lines through there...so I kinda took what was working for me. If I go back I'd definitely be working on that section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblin View Post
watched your battle with r1. I thought intermediate aren't allowed to pass on the inside. Intimidating.
Ya technically it has to be after apex, although that rule gets broken occasionally. In that video there was two passes I could think of you may have been mentioning. I kinda poked up the inside of the R1 but backed off, there was a guy on a triumph or something who came up the inside...I knew he was there or coming and pushed out a little because I wasn't sure what he was gonna do.
gustaveberg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #109 of 191 Old 06-18-2019, 03:56 PM
Director of Moderation
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,013

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Man View Post
Already been to NJMP this year, haven't been to Summit!
Yeah but racing is mo' betta than track day

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (sold)
2009 ZX6R (parted out across North America)
2015 R3 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400 (race bike)
2013 RSV4 (race bike)

April 2016 and April 2017 6OTM winner!
sbk1198 is offline  
post #110 of 191 Old 06-18-2019, 05:23 PM
Director of Moderation
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,013

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustaveberg View Post
Well bought a new tow rig on Saturday, then proceeded to immediately drive home and hook it up to the trailer then drive 2.5 hours to NJMP. Didn't plan on getting a truck this year, but an accident sped up my timeline. Thing is awesome, so roomy and quiet...can hardly tell there is a trailer behind it. Only thing I want to get for it is some sort of bed cover so I can free up some room in the backseat where the suits live currently.

NJMP was primarily a shit show for the intermediate group. The event was sold out and the grid was packed. We only got one full session in during the morning period. It really sucked because I had linked up with a coach in the morning to help learn some lines (never been there before), so I was going out with her and doing 2 laps and then we'd swap, except we rarely got the chance because usually someone wrecked in the first lap.

After lunch I rode with the coach for 2 more sessions, basically I might have got 4 laps in each.

Finally the last two sessions of the day we got full sessions with no wrecks. Second to last session I started putting lines together that I was happy with (always could use some work), brakes were getting some hard fade at T1 and T2...pretty sure my pads are shot. Last session I followed my pit neighbor on his R1...that was a lot of fun..I was a little faster than him from T1 to T4 but he could blast me anytime there was some throttle applied.

I really liked Thunderbolt and would love to go back...just not on a weekend that is sold out.
Welcome to the Ram life!

Sounds like a shit show in that group. That's one of the main thing I don't like about Evolve and other track day companies I've ridden with...they are so quick with the damn red flag all the time. Leave that shit down and throw a yellow instead if the rider is fine and the bike is out of an impact zone/off the track. Let the crashers wait out that session. Maybe throw the checkered flag a couple of minutes sooner instead, end the session, and go pick up the crasher, but don't red flag it right away. Why ruin everyone else's fun for which they paid for because of one person's mistake? I totally get it if there's an injury or some risky situation, but I've seen so many red flags when they didn't need to happen. Let them wait. That's what they do in racing.

I remember when I rode with ZARS once in Minnesota at BIR, they told us the crash truck only goes out twice. Once during lunch time and another time at the end of the day. So if you crash in the first session, you're SOL. You're not getting your bike back until lunch. Same if you crash in the first session after lunch, you get it back at the end of the day! lol
gustaveberg and goblin like this.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (sold)
2009 ZX6R (parted out across North America)
2015 R3 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400 (race bike)
2013 RSV4 (race bike)

April 2016 and April 2017 6OTM winner!
sbk1198 is offline  
post #111 of 191 Old 06-18-2019, 05:27 PM
Director of Moderation
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,013

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustaveberg View Post
Ya, I would agree...I had some issues there through out the day. I also noticed coaches doing a few different lines through there...so I kinda took what was working for me. If I go back I'd definitely be working on that section.
T8-10 section is very tricky. I still struggle with that and always feel slow as shit in that section. I love T1-T6 though! Probably one of my favorite sequence of turns from any track. I look forward to going back there July 6-8. Might even try out the RSV4 there if I'm brave enough.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (sold)
2009 ZX6R (parted out across North America)
2015 R3 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400 (race bike)
2013 RSV4 (race bike)

April 2016 and April 2017 6OTM winner!
sbk1198 is offline  
post #112 of 191 Old 06-18-2019, 05:31 PM
Team Green
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 148
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
Let the crashers wait out that session. Maybe throw the checkered flag a couple of minutes sooner instead, end the session, and go pick up the crasher, but don't red flag it right away. Why ruin everyone else's fun for which they paid for because of one person's mistake? I totally get it if there's an injury or some risky situation, but I've seen so many red flags when they didn't need to happen. Let them wait. That's what they do in racing.
amen to that. though i am not entirely sure this decision is up to the club hosting the event, track marshal may have a hand in this. in fact, during riders meeting they specifically say that when not injured raise thumbs up and wait, still they red flag immediately.
goblin is offline  
post #113 of 191 Old 06-18-2019, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Track Star
 
gustaveberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Elizabethtown, PA
Posts: 484

I Ride: 2013 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post

They are so quick with the damn red flag all the time. Leave that shit down and throw a yellow instead if the rider is fine and the bike is out of an impact zone/off the track. Let the crashers wait out that session. Maybe throw the checkered flag a couple of minutes sooner instead, end the session, and go pick up the crasher, but don't red flag it right away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goblin View Post
amen to that. though i am not entirely sure this decision is up to the club hosting the event, track marshal may have a hand in this. in fact, during riders meeting they specifically say that when not injured raise thumbs up and wait, still they red flag immediately.
Ya, I think it is more up to the track marshal or the track itself I know at NYST or Pitt with Evolve they will usually just wait till the end of the session..unless someone is real injured or the bike is on the track or something of that sort. I couldn't believe they were red flagging every crash and then sending the ambulance out even if the dude was like walking around and jumping over the tire wall.

Last edited by gustaveberg; 06-18-2019 at 05:49 PM.
gustaveberg is offline  
post #114 of 191 Old 06-18-2019, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Track Star
 
gustaveberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Elizabethtown, PA
Posts: 484

I Ride: 2013 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
Might even try out the RSV4 there if I'm brave enough.
Better plan, I'll just test drive it around for you and let you know how much fun it was. Then you'll know for sure the next time
gustaveberg is offline  
post #115 of 191 Old 06-18-2019, 06:15 PM
Director of Moderation
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,013

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by goblin View Post
amen to that. though i am not entirely sure this decision is up to the club hosting the event, track marshal may have a hand in this. in fact, during riders meeting they specifically say that when not injured raise thumbs up and wait, still they red flag immediately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustaveberg View Post
Ya, I think it is more up to the track marshal or the track itself I know at NYST or Pitt with Evolve they will usually just wait till the end of the session..unless someone is real injured or the bike is on the track or something of that sort. I couldn't believe they were red flagging every crash and then sending the ambulance out even if the dude was like walking around and jumping over the tire wall.
The track marshall/corner workers decide, but it's based on direction from the track day organizer before. They don't do that at CCS or WERA events even though the track employees are the same people, because CCS and WERA instructs them not to red flag unless absolutely needed (injured rider needing assistance, bike laying on track or impact zone, and oil on the track).

My old home track day organization did the same as most here on the east coast. They would red flag as soon as someone crashed, and the organizer mentioned that in the riders meeting. But then at the end of the day on saturday when we had 2 sprint races for fun (similar to MotoGladiator type stuff), the organizer would instruct the track and corner workers NOT to red flag unless absolutely necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustaveberg View Post
Better plan, I'll just test drive it around for you and let you know how much fun it was. Then you'll know for sure the next time
I'm down with that. I expect to see you there then that weekend. There is still time for you to get your CCS license! Make sure to sign up for at least one unlimited race so that you can get all the practice sessions for that group

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (sold)
2009 ZX6R (parted out across North America)
2015 R3 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400 (race bike)
2013 RSV4 (race bike)

April 2016 and April 2017 6OTM winner!
sbk1198 is offline  
post #116 of 191 Old 06-19-2019, 11:01 AM
Track Star
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NOVA
Posts: 470

I Ride: '12 ZX6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
Yeah but racing is mo' betta than track day
A CCS crowd, coupled with the Jersey CCS crowd? Hard pass.
IronCactus likes this.

WERA Expert #37
N2 Track Days Control Rider
'12 ZX6 - 3 Marines Racing Endurance Team Bike
'07 ZX6
Sportbike Track Gear
Woodcraft
Andrew Swenson Design
N2 Track Days
It is always those that use their brakes the least that want to upgrade them the most.
Otto Man is offline  
post #117 of 191 Old 06-19-2019, 11:16 AM
Director of Moderation
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,013

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Man View Post
A CCS crowd, coupled with the Jersey CCS crowd? Hard pass.
Ha! Ouch! lol I have heard lots of negative things about the Jersey crowd, but that seems to be mostly at track days where most of them go. At CCS weekends there it's always been fine. No issues and good crowd, like most other places.

CCS crowd is no different than WERA crowd. Quite a few people do both. The main difference between them is the management/administration.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (sold)
2009 ZX6R (parted out across North America)
2015 R3 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400 (race bike)
2013 RSV4 (race bike)

April 2016 and April 2017 6OTM winner!
sbk1198 is offline  
post #118 of 191 Old 06-19-2019, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Track Star
 
gustaveberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Elizabethtown, PA
Posts: 484

I Ride: 2013 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
I'm down with that. I expect to see you there then that weekend. There is still time for you to get your CCS license! Make sure to sign up for at least one unlimited race so that you can get all the practice sessions for that group
Unfortunately I don't have any free weekends until that exact weekend lol I had been considering NC bike for that weekend...just not sure if it is worth the 5 hour drive
gustaveberg is offline  
post #119 of 191 Old 06-19-2019, 06:59 PM
Director of Moderation
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,013

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustaveberg View Post
Unfortunately I don't have any free weekends until that exact weekend lol I had been considering NC bike for that weekend...just not sure if it is worth the 5 hour drive
What does that have to do with it? You send in the application online. You don't need any free weekends before

If you've never been to NCbike, I would say go just for the sake of trying out a new track that's somewhat unique. The paddock sucks, but the track itself is not bad. There are people that go there from NY and drive like 8 hours to get there.

I was considering doing the NJMP weekend with Evolve on July 13-14, but I just saw the prices recently and HOLY SHIT!! With those sort of prices, all of a sudden racing is starting to look like the better bang for the buck lol

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (sold)
2009 ZX6R (parted out across North America)
2015 R3 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400 (race bike)
2013 RSV4 (race bike)

April 2016 and April 2017 6OTM winner!
sbk1198 is offline  
post #120 of 191 Old 06-20-2019, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Track Star
 
gustaveberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Elizabethtown, PA
Posts: 484

I Ride: 2013 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
What does that have to do with it? You send in the application online. You don't need any free weekends before

If you've never been to NCbike, I would say go just for the sake of trying out a new track that's somewhat unique. The paddock sucks, but the track itself is not bad. There are people that go there from NY and drive like 8 hours to get there.

I was considering doing the NJMP weekend with Evolve on July 13-14, but I just saw the prices recently and HOLY SHIT!! With those sort of prices, all of a sudden racing is starting to look like the better bang for the buck lol
Except for having to do the whole race license school and all which I haven't done yet lol

Ya, 5 hours isn't terrible I just hate having to essentially go through DC to get there while towing a trailer..might have to look at routes that add a little bit of time.

NJMP is like $260 if you are not a member of evolve, it's insane. You should save your money and go to NYST on 7/27 and 7/28
gustaveberg is offline  
Reply

  ZX6R Forum > ZX6R Forum > Motorcycle Talk

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Motorcycle Track Day Provider Cali Track Days Launches In California jd41 Racing 27 06-14-2019 05:15 PM
Let's Ride Track Days 2019 Schedule jd41 Racing 4 12-13-2018 08:07 AM
2019 Cali Track Days Schedule jd41 Racing 1 11-17-2018 11:01 AM
2019 ZX6r on the way? MrZ The ZX6R 18 08-15-2018 02:36 PM
track day first timer lime636_05 Racing 7 03-20-2009 01:20 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome