Need some advice on tranport and chock for track - ZX6R Forum
 52Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2018, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
MotoGP Champion
 
jd41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Monterey, California
Posts: 5,223

I Ride: 2014 Kawasaki ZX-6R, 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300
Garage
Need some advice on tranport and chock for track

So after years of going to Laguna for all my track days (every chance I get) I'm getting serious about going to every track in Cali and doing AFM before I turn 30 at the end of this year!

I usually rode my bike to the track and back but that is no longer possible since I'm converting it to track only. Just bought a jeep renegade to tow my bike (it's Cali, haven't needed a car in years because I ride to work every day.)

I'm planning on renting a uhaul to transport but need some advice on how to secure my bike. Would a baxley chock be sufficient to strap it down for long distances? Any recommendations for other chocks or trailers?
Gawernator likes this.

JL99
jd41 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-03-2018, 03:58 AM
ZX6r.com Supporting Member
Supporting Member
 
Indy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Indianapolis, In
Posts: 2,919
Garage
A baxley chock or similar will work with several other tie downs.
If your pulling the kick stand then you need two, one for the trailer the second for holding the bike after taking it off.
One option is two from Harbor freight, not pretty but they do work https://www.harborfreight.com/motorc...ock-69026.html
Mounted mine to a half inch piece of plywood so it's easily moved.


You need 2 tie dows up front and at least one for the rear.
I take a wide strap wrap it threw the rear tire and cinch it down to keep the rear wheel moving.
One on each lower triple tree since the track plastics make using the bars impossible.

Have fun.
Indy is offline  
Old 02-03-2018, 05:16 AM
Director of Moderation
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 8,645

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd41 View Post
So after years of going to Laguna for all my track days (every chance I get) I'm getting serious about going to every track in Cali and doing AFM before I turn 30 at the end of this year!

I usually rode my bike to the track and back but that is no longer possible since I'm converting it to track only. Just bought a jeep renegade to tow my bike (it's Cali, haven't needed a car in years because I ride to work every day.)

I'm planning on renting a uhaul to transport but need some advice on how to secure my bike. Would a baxley chock be sufficient to strap it down for long distances? Any recommendations for other chocks or trailers?
If you plan on doing that much, I would recommend buying a small trailer instead of renting one. You can buy a cheap one for about 10-12 times the cost of a 1-day rental and more than likely you'll be renting for 2 or 3 days at a time, multiple times if you want to hit up all those tracks.

As far as transport, depending which U-haul trailer you get, some of their motorcycle ones come with a built-in chock. It's not nearly as useful as a Baxley or similar one, it's just a cutout in the wall for your wheel to go into, so you still have to hold onto the bike while you strap it in place. A baxley or similar type of chock works really well though. That's how I've done it for 4 years and never had a problem. Usually I did one strap at the front that would compress the front end a bit, wrapping it around the triple clamp, and a strap on each side to prevent the rear end from hopping or sliding side-to-side. That's all you need.

But with that said, nothing beats a Pitbull TRS...of course you can't really do that with a rental trailer
jd41 likes this.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (sold)
2009 ZX6R (parted out across North America)
2015 R3 (race bike)

April 2016 and April 2017 6OTM winner!
sbk1198 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-03-2018, 05:51 AM
Pro Racer
 
Newyork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 633

I Ride: 2012 zx6r, 2007 gsxr 750
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
A baxley chock or similar will work with several other tie downs.
If your pulling the kick stand then you need two, one for the trailer the second for holding the bike after taking it off.
One option is two from Harbor freight, not pretty but they do work https://www.harborfreight.com/motorc...ock-69026.html
Mounted mine to a half inch piece of plywood so it's easily moved.


You need 2 tie dows up front and at least one for the rear.
I take a wide strap wrap it threw the rear tire and cinch it down to keep the rear wheel moving.
One on each lower triple tree since the track plastics make using the bars impossible.

Have fun.
I just mounted that chock to my HF lift and it doesn't work as well as I hoped it would...it seems like the chock is too wide for my front tire. It holds the bike up, but barely...it is far better than the one that come with the lift. They had two different models of this chock there, but when I looked at the specs they were exactly the same so I bought the one with more reviews assuming it was better.

This is the one I have...https://www.harborfreight.com/Motorc...ock-60392.html
Newyork is offline  
Old 02-03-2018, 08:20 AM
Director of Moderation
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 8,645

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Yeah don't bother with those shitty HF ones. They're junk. They barely hold the bike up and they're sketchy as fuck. Go for a Baxley, but if you don't want to spend that much on one, this is pretty much just as good and cheaper. This is exactly what I have but I can't remember the brand name, and I can't go look at it because it's attached to my lift which is in storage at the moving company for the next 3 months.

https://d2j6tswx2otu6e.cloudfront.ne...ba7c5a07ca.jpg

The only thing that the Baxley has that this one doesn't is a better coating on it which doesn't stick to your tire as much. The only problem I'm had with mine is if I load up the bike in it right after I'm done and the tire is hot and it's also a hot sunny day, the rubber tends to stick to the sides. That's only a problem if the chock is not bolted down to anything, but mine was usually either bolted down on the trailer, or now on my lift so no issues for me.
ZedExMuse likes this.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (sold)
2009 ZX6R (parted out across North America)
2015 R3 (race bike)

April 2016 and April 2017 6OTM winner!
sbk1198 is offline  
Old 02-03-2018, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
MotoGP Champion
 
jd41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Monterey, California
Posts: 5,223

I Ride: 2014 Kawasaki ZX-6R, 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
Yeah don't bother with those shitty HF ones. They're junk. They barely hold the bike up and they're sketchy as fuck. Go for a Baxley, but if you don't want to spend that much on one, this is pretty much just as good and cheaper. This is exactly what I have but I can't remember the brand name, and I can't go look at it because it's attached to my lift which is in storage at the moving company for the next 3 months.

https://d2j6tswx2otu6e.cloudfront.ne...ba7c5a07ca.jpg

The only thing that the Baxley has that this one doesn't is a better coating on it which doesn't stick to your tire as much. The only problem I'm had with mine is if I load up the bike in it right after I'm done and the tire is hot and it's also a hot sunny day, the rubber tends to stick to the sides. That's only a problem if the chock is not bolted down to anything, but mine was usually either bolted down on the trailer, or now on my lift so no issues for me.
Yeah, I've seen that the HF ones are a hit or miss. I'll buy a baxley chock.

---

And it's made in the USA!

JL99

Last edited by jd41; 02-03-2018 at 10:20 AM.
jd41 is offline  
Old 02-03-2018, 09:44 AM
Pro Racer
 
Newyork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 633

I Ride: 2012 zx6r, 2007 gsxr 750
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd41 View Post
Yeah, I've seen that the HF ones are a hit or miss. I'll buy a baxley chock.
I also have the Trackside chock from Cycle Gear, and that one works great. It was too big to mount on my lift or else I would have just used that. Holds the bike up well enough to sit on and lean off of. For 79.99 it's a cheap alternative to the Baxley.
Newyork is offline  
Old 02-03-2018, 09:48 AM
Pro Racer
 
Newyork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 633

I Ride: 2012 zx6r, 2007 gsxr 750
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
Yeah don't bother with those shitty HF ones. They're junk. They barely hold the bike up and they're sketchy as fuck. Go for a Baxley, but if you don't want to spend that much on one, this is pretty much just as good and cheaper. This is exactly what I have but I can't remember the brand name, and I can't go look at it because it's attached to my lift which is in storage at the moving company for the next 3 months.

https://d2j6tswx2otu6e.cloudfront.ne...ba7c5a07ca.jpg

The only thing that the Baxley has that this one doesn't is a better coating on it which doesn't stick to your tire as much. The only problem I'm had with mine is if I load up the bike in it right after I'm done and the tire is hot and it's also a hot sunny day, the rubber tends to stick to the sides. That's only a problem if the chock is not bolted down to anything, but mine was usually either bolted down on the trailer, or now on my lift so no issues for me.
LOL, I just suggested that one...it's a Trackside from Cycle Gear. You have it mounted to a lift, a HF lift?? I just mounted the cheap HF to mine, bc the trackside one was so damn big I didn't even bother to look into how to mount it..
Newyork is offline  
Old 02-03-2018, 12:59 PM
Director of Moderation
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 8,645

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newyork View Post
LOL, I just suggested that one...it's a Trackside from Cycle Gear. You have it mounted to a lift, a HF lift?? I just mounted the cheap HF to mine, bc the trackside one was so damn big I didn't even bother to look into how to mount it..
Yep, mounted on my HF lift. Just needs a couple of holes drilled and works like a charm.

After a bunch of digging, I found the one and only picture that I have where you can see it on the lift. It's basically all the way to the edge.

PowerGroove and Newyork like this.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (sold)
2009 ZX6R (parted out across North America)
2015 R3 (race bike)

April 2016 and April 2017 6OTM winner!
sbk1198 is offline  
Old 02-03-2018, 06:35 PM
Pro Racer
 
Newyork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 633

I Ride: 2012 zx6r, 2007 gsxr 750
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
Yep, mounted on my HF lift. Just needs a couple of holes drilled and works like a charm.

After a bunch of digging, I found the one and only picture that I have where you can see it on the lift. It's basically all the way to the edge.

Nice, isn't it awesome that HF sells that lift so cheap! Also, Dammit..... now I know it would have worked jus fine. I had to drill some holes to mount the cheap one too, it actually looks like it belongs on the lift.
Newyork is offline  
Old 02-03-2018, 07:52 PM
ZX6r.com Supporting Member
Supporting Member
 
Indy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Indianapolis, In
Posts: 2,919
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd41 View Post
So after years of going to Laguna for all my track days (every chance I get) I'm getting serious about going to every track in Cali and doing AFM before I turn 30 at the end of this year!

I usually rode my bike to the track and back but that is no longer possible since I'm converting it to track only. Just bought a jeep renegade to tow my bike (it's Cali, haven't needed a car in years because I ride to work every day.)

I'm planning on renting a uhaul to transport but need some advice on how to secure my bike. Would a baxley chock be sufficient to strap it down for long distances? Any recommendations for other chocks or trailers?

Just saw that,, 30 man I wish we had track days when I was 30.

Hope you have many great years ahead of you. I'm going to push it until I can only do half sessions. Being over 40ish sucks. (would have said 30, just didn't want to depress you)
laggy311 and jd41 like this.
Indy is offline  
Old 02-04-2018, 08:37 AM
Director of Moderation
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 8,645

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newyork View Post
Nice, isn't it awesome that HF sells that lift so cheap! Also, Dammit..... now I know it would have worked jus fine. I had to drill some holes to mount the cheap one too, it actually looks like it belongs on the lift.
Yeah I got my lift on sale for $300 (320ish with tax).

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (sold)
2009 ZX6R (parted out across North America)
2015 R3 (race bike)

April 2016 and April 2017 6OTM winner!
sbk1198 is offline  
Old 02-04-2018, 01:21 PM
Pro Racer
 
Newyork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 633

I Ride: 2012 zx6r, 2007 gsxr 750
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
Yeah I got my lift on sale for $300 (320ish with tax).
Not bad, I paid $223 out the door...it was $279 on sale Black Friday then I used a 25% off coupon and a tax exempt form from my job! Boom Shaka Laka!!

Here's a tip, if you go to the HF site and put the coupon code at checkout and it works you take a screenshot of it to the store and they honor it. That's what I did.
zx racer, litner and sbk1198 like this.
Newyork is offline  
Old 02-04-2018, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
MotoGP Champion
 
jd41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Monterey, California
Posts: 5,223

I Ride: 2014 Kawasaki ZX-6R, 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newyork View Post
Not bad, I paid $223 out the door...it was $279 on sale Black Friday then I used a 25% off coupon and a tax exempt form from my job! Boom Shaka Laka!!

Here's a tip, if you go to the HF site and put the coupon code at checkout and it works you take a screenshot of it to the store and they honor it. That's what I did.
That's what I do. Keep a screenshot on my phone. Sports Rider and some other mag's usually have the 25% coupon.

Too bad they stopped making the trailer kits
Newyork likes this.

JL99
jd41 is offline  
Old 02-04-2018, 02:08 PM
Director of Moderation
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 8,645

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newyork View Post
Not bad, I paid $223 out the door...it was $279 on sale Black Friday then I used a 25% off coupon and a tax exempt form from my job! Boom Shaka Laka!!

Here's a tip, if you go to the HF site and put the coupon code at checkout and it works you take a screenshot of it to the store and they honor it. That's what I did.
Well that's some bullshit, I didn't know they were stackable discounts lol...retail on those is like $429 if I recall, and it was on sale for $299, but I thought coupons are not valid on items that are already discounted. Learn something new every day I guess! lol

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (sold)
2009 ZX6R (parted out across North America)
2015 R3 (race bike)

April 2016 and April 2017 6OTM winner!
sbk1198 is offline  
 

  ZX6R Forum > ZX6R Forum > Motorcycle Talk
Thread Tools



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome