Weird clutch issue - clicking 2013 zx6r - ZX6R Forum
 7Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 12-11-2019, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 3
Unhappy Weird clutch issue - clicking 2013 zx6r

Hey guys, at wits end trying to workout what the issue is with my bike. When i pull the clutch lever in, release it and repeat the process in first gear it starts making a "click sound", and the bike feels like it wants to slightly jolt forward. It also does the same thing when in second gear when the RPMS are low (3-4k) and i pull the clutch lever in and then release it i get the click sound;

https://imgur.com/a/rNYKJXU Watch from 00:06 for a good example of the issue.

Sounds like it's coming from either the middle of the engine, or coming from the left side of the bike. Anyone know if this is normal?

Last edited by zzxxrrrr; 12-11-2019 at 07:19 AM.
zzxxrrrr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 12-11-2019, 07:59 AM
Post Master General
 
RJ2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bowling Green, VA
Posts: 12,355

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Garage
Can't watch the video at work..... mechanical things make noise. Parts that have gaps between them make noise when they go together. First thing I would do is change your oil to fresh. That may provide more 'cushion' when parts make contact.

A clutch stack on a motorcycle has multiple friction and pressure plates layered together. Half of them (all the frictions, or all the pressure plates) have tabs that slot into splines on the inside edge. The other half of the stack has tabs/splines on the outside edge. The tabs have a gap to the points they hit. you can hear noise from that space getting consumed. The pairs of gears have dogs and slots on adjoining gear pairs. There is some gap there as well.

The slipper assembly in the clutch can also make some amount of noise, as that is another way to spread the stack out to allow the transmission to slip.

Your chain may be worn. Your sprockets may be worn.

Lots of things to check.

"Basic stuff fellas. Use your head for something other than to break your next fall."

Words to live by
RJ2112 is online now  
post #3 of 16 Old 12-11-2019, 12:21 PM
Track Star
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NOVA
Posts: 558

I Ride: '12 ZX6
Sounds more like chain slap than anything, but near impossible to diagnose over the internet
riverszzr and Gawernator like this.

WERA Expert #37
N2 Track Days Control Rider
'12 ZX6 - 3 Marines Racing Endurance Team Bike
'07 ZX6
Sportbike Track Gear
Woodcraft
Andrew Swenson Design
N2 Track Days
It is always those that use their brakes the least that want to upgrade them the most.
Otto Man is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 16 Old 12-11-2019, 05:14 PM
Superbike Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 1,098
Can you feel the “click”? Or just hear it?
Duc995 is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 12-11-2019, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2112 View Post
Can't watch the video at work..... mechanical things make noise. Parts that have gaps between them make noise when they go together. First thing I would do is change your oil to fresh. That may provide more 'cushion' when parts make contact.

A clutch stack on a motorcycle has multiple friction and pressure plates layered together. Half of them (all the frictions, or all the pressure plates) have tabs that slot into splines on the inside edge. The other half of the stack has tabs/splines on the outside edge. The tabs have a gap to the points they hit. you can hear noise from that space getting consumed. The pairs of gears have dogs and slots on adjoining gear pairs. There is some gap there as well.

The slipper assembly in the clutch can also make some amount of noise, as that is another way to spread the stack out to allow the transmission to slip.

Your chain may be worn. Your sprockets may be worn.

Lots of things to check.
Checked on a few things, chain and sprocket seem good. The only thing i noticed was the chain was a little loose - i tightened it not too long ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Man View Post
Sounds more like chain slap than anything, but near impossible to diagnose over the internet
Can you feel when this happens? and would it even be noticeable in first gear when only letting out the clutch with no throttle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc995 View Post
Can you feel the “click”? Or just hear it?
I can feel it as well.
zzxxrrrr is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 12-12-2019, 02:26 AM
Post Master General
 
Scorpi0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: LA, Cali
Posts: 12,456

I Ride: 06 636
Definitely not chain slap. Sounds like something is binding somewhere. Gotta figure out if its internal or something external like the lever, cable, or arm.
Scorpi0 is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 12-12-2019, 11:52 AM
Post Master General
 
riverszzr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Frozen hell of the north
Posts: 7,183

I Ride: 97k '07 ZZR600, 2014 Ninja 300, 37k 89 FZR400 racebike, 56k 06 ZX6R track only, 21k 97 ZX6R F model
Garage
Chain? tight and loose spots- uneven wear is my guess based on that

But who the fuck knows from a video on the internets......

How many miles on the bike
How long have you owned it
what has been its use, abused, babied, coddled, well cared for, beat to fuck and put away wet
Do you have mechanical abilities or just enough to get you in trouble
Otto Man and Strider like this.

woohoo we are having fun now
Stupid people say stupid things on the internet, so be wary of who those people are. If you solicit advice on the internet, just keep in mind 99% of what you'll receive is not based on fact or science-and likely atleast 95% of it is based on bullshit and bravado regurgitated from some other schlub who also did not experience any of what they claim and are also full of shit. If you don't like my bluntness- too bad. I am not here to please you, so move along, your approval is not desired nor is it needed. So before opening your pie hole and adding more stupidity, perhaps sit back, listen, absorb and learn something. You know that saying, it is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!
riverszzr is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 12-12-2019, 05:45 PM
Track Star
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NOVA
Posts: 558

I Ride: '12 ZX6
Watched it a few more times and I'm still convinced it's chain related. There's a reason it seems it can't be replicated when he's taking off from a stand still, only when he pulls the lever in while moving. The chain is taunt on the top side while driving, he pulls the clutch in, and the chain from the under side of the swingarm is slapping against the plastic chain guide on the bottom of the swingarm.

WERA Expert #37
N2 Track Days Control Rider
'12 ZX6 - 3 Marines Racing Endurance Team Bike
'07 ZX6
Sportbike Track Gear
Woodcraft
Andrew Swenson Design
N2 Track Days
It is always those that use their brakes the least that want to upgrade them the most.
Otto Man is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 12-12-2019, 07:49 PM
Team Green
 
zx6rguiy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Man View Post
Watched it a few more times and I'm still convinced it's chain related. There's a reason it seems it can't be replicated when he's taking off from a stand still, only when he pulls the lever in while moving. The chain is taunt on the top side while driving, he pulls the clutch in, and the chain from the under side of the swingarm is slapping against the plastic chain guide on the bottom of the swingarm.
This /\

If you are not convinced, cut your chain off and see if it still makes the noise. And since you just cut the chain off, might as well buy a new one.
riverszzr likes this.
zx6rguiy is online now  
post #10 of 16 Old 12-12-2019, 09:23 PM
Track Star
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NOVA
Posts: 558

I Ride: '12 ZX6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx6rguiy View Post
This /\

If you are not convinced, cut your chain off and see if it still makes the noise. And since you just cut the chain off, might as well buy a new one.
This got me thinking as well. You could find out real fast by putting it on a rear stand and letting the clutch out and see if the noise can be replicated

WERA Expert #37
N2 Track Days Control Rider
'12 ZX6 - 3 Marines Racing Endurance Team Bike
'07 ZX6
Sportbike Track Gear
Woodcraft
Andrew Swenson Design
N2 Track Days
It is always those that use their brakes the least that want to upgrade them the most.
Otto Man is offline  
post #11 of 16 Old 12-13-2019, 12:25 AM
MotoGP Champion
 
Strider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,684

I Ride: 2009 ZX-6R
Garage
When I had weird clicking/popping noises like that a while back, it was because of a worn out chain, and it was making noises on the rear sprocket. The fact that it makes the noise when you use the clutch lever could be just coincidence.

Winner - 6OTM - March 2014
2009 ZX-6R (65,695 miles and counting) | www.ZX6R.us | www.Seaton007.com

M4 GP Slip-on | ASV C5 Levers | Spiegler SS Brake Lines | SpeedoHealer V4
Custom FE | K&N Air Filter | Vortex Sprockets -1/+2 | EK MVXZ Chain
Strider is offline  
post #12 of 16 Old 12-13-2019, 05:48 AM
Post Master General
 
Scorpi0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: LA, Cali
Posts: 12,456

I Ride: 06 636
I dont think its the chain because u can actually see the click in the lever motion.
Duc995 likes this.
Scorpi0 is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 12-13-2019, 06:24 PM
Team Green
 
zx6rguiy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpi0 View Post
I dont think its the chain because u can actually see the click in the lever motion.
Looks like hes just pulling the lever in and out. The fact that the noise coincides with the movement of the clutch lever would lead me to believe even more that its the chain. As the drive is being connected and disconnected from the output shaft, a load is being applied and removed to the chain. The guy also said the noise was coming from the middle or the left side of the bike. Taking into account the fact that most riders severely neglect their chains, I would bet big money this is just chain slap.
RJ2112 likes this.
zx6rguiy is online now  
post #14 of 16 Old 12-13-2019, 06:54 PM
Post Master General
 
RJ2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bowling Green, VA
Posts: 12,355

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Garage
OP, chains do not wear evenly. They get loose in sections that get longer and longer as the damage increases. How many miles are on that chain and sprockets?

Anything over 10-12K miles could be enough to kill it, depending upon maintenance. More neglect means shorter life.

"Basic stuff fellas. Use your head for something other than to break your next fall."

Words to live by
RJ2112 is online now  
post #15 of 16 Old 12-13-2019, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverszzr View Post
Chain? tight and loose spots- uneven wear is my guess based on that

But who the fuck knows from a video on the internets......

How many miles on the bike
How long have you owned it
what has been its use, abused, babied, coddled, well cared for, beat to fuck and put away wet
Do you have mechanical abilities or just enough to get you in trouble
I noticed my chain does get a bit loose very quickly but it's all lubed up, the bike has only done about 15,000 miles, only owned it for a few months, last owner used it only as a street bike and i just had valves checked etc.. and everything is perfect on the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Man View Post
This got me thinking as well. You could find out real fast by putting it on a rear stand and letting the clutch out and see if the noise can be replicated
I will try this tonight. Although on the video when you listen closely at 00:06 it sounds like the type of noise when you go from N-1, it's a click and you feel it throughout the bike. Can a bad chain really effect it this much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx6rguiy View Post
Looks like hes just pulling the lever in and out. The fact that the noise coincides with the movement of the clutch lever would lead me to believe even more that its the chain. As the drive is being connected and disconnected from the output shaft, a load is being applied and removed to the chain. The guy also said the noise was coming from the middle or the left side of the bike. Taking into account the fact that most riders severely neglect their chains, I would bet big money this is just chain slap.
Pretty much seems to be with the movement, i feel as soon as the clutch grabs it clicks. It's very noticeable when in first gear and i let out the clutch and then pull it back in again. Same thing when in second gear and I'm letting the RPMS drop (traffic in front) and pull in the clutch and hold it and as soon as the cars start moving again within seconds i release the clutch and i hear the click which i can feel in the handlebars. Going full throttle etc.. i get no issues with the transmission, nothing slips out and so forth.

Last edited by zzxxrrrr; 12-13-2019 at 10:55 PM.
zzxxrrrr is offline  
Reply

  ZX6R Forum > ZX6R Forum > Mechanical and Technical

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome