05 636 blowing IG fuse. - ZX6R Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 05-08-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Clepire88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 7
05 636 blowing IG fuse.

So when I replace the 10A fuse the bike will start up and idle for a moment, then pop goes the fuse. It does have a PC3 installed, it also has a woodcraft ignition bypass for racing.

I am lost, just looking to find anyone with similiar experience, or maybe someone a bit more tech savvy to tell me where to start. Sorry if this is a report, but I've viewed multiple post and the issues others have dont seem to be the same as mine.

Thank you
Clepire88 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 05-08-2019, 08:50 PM
Post Master General
 
Scorpi0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: LA, Cali
Posts: 11,675

I Ride: 06 636
How long does it idle for exactly before it blows the fuse?
Scorpi0 is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 05-09-2019, 01:44 AM
Post Master General
 
RJ2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bowling Green, VA
Posts: 11,338

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Fuses let go, because the circuit they are protecting is consuming more current than is expected.

If you inspect the wiring harness very closely I would expect that you will find a point where the insulation has been compromised. That's likely causing a 'hot' wire to make contact with the frame or some other metal on the bike.

Pinched wires, or rubbing wires. Look for wear, or discoloration on the insulation or the metal it passes by.

It is a good idea to start the inspection wherever someone has modified the OEM harness. Even great workmanship can degrade over time. Bad work can go south a lot quicker.

"Basic stuff fellas. Use your head for something other than to break your next fall."
RJ2112 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 7 Old 05-09-2019, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Clepire88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2112 View Post
Fuses let go, because the circuit they are protecting is consuming more current than is expected.

If you inspect the wiring harness very closely I would expect that you will find a point where the insulation has been compromised. That's likely causing a 'hot' wire to make contact with the frame or some other metal on the bike.

Pinched wires, or rubbing wires. Look for wear, or discoloration on the insulation or the metal it passes by.

It is a good idea to start the inspection wherever someone has modified the OEM harness. Even great workmanship can degrade over time. Bad work can go south a lot quicker.

Thank you I saw one wire had a tiny slit in the insulation
Clepire88 is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 05-09-2019, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Clepire88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpi0 View Post
How long does it idle for exactly before it blows the fuse?
Yesterday after 5 minutes of riding, replaced the fuse and after idling 1 minute it died again.
Clepire88 is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 05-10-2019, 01:31 AM
Post Master General
 
Scorpi0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: LA, Cali
Posts: 11,675

I Ride: 06 636
I traced the circuit for the IGN fuse. Most possible suspects are a bad ignition coil, bad fuel pump relay, or just a short somewhere in the wiring.
Scorpi0 is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 05-10-2019, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Clepire88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpi0 View Post
I traced the circuit for the IGN fuse. Most possible suspects are a bad ignition coil, bad fuel pump relay, or just a short somewhere in the wiring.

Its blowing the fuse without the tank hooked up, I'll look into the ignition coil or whatever that is. All major components are working. Checking CDI box and REC tomorrow. Thank you.
Clepire88 is offline  
Reply

  ZX6R Forum > ZX6R Forum > Mechanical and Technical

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
05 636 ecu fuse keeps blowing birchboi96 Mechanical and Technical 0 04-21-2013 09:35 AM
headlight fuse keeps blowing out the diddler Mechanical and Technical 23 01-21-2013 11:49 AM
F3 blowing main fuse kyle Mechanical and Technical 5 08-25-2012 06:41 AM
05 zx6r blowing taillight fuse Arm636 Mechanical and Technical 5 04-19-2012 05:20 PM
Blowing ECU fuse MIkyle Mechanical and Technical 5 08-15-2011 04:20 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome