Caliper Rebuild Kit - ZX6R Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jd41
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 08-20-2018, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Squid
 
dkolbasovsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 29

I Ride: 2003 ZX6R
Caliper Rebuild Kit

Hello,

Trying to source caliper rebuild kits for my 2003. My usual sources don't have any, I am in Canada but I can buy from US if needed. Where are you getting your rebuild kits?
dkolbasovsky is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 08-20-2018, 10:50 AM
Superbike Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 983
I order through bikebandit.com the individual oem parts need. Maybe check EBay for a completeĒkitĒ ; however, might be hard to judge quality.
Duc995 is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 08-21-2018, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Squid
 
dkolbasovsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 29

I Ride: 2003 ZX6R
Thanks, I was hoping for a quality complete kit if possible. OEM is a bit pricey.
dkolbasovsky is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 Old 08-21-2018, 09:21 AM
Post Master General
 
jd41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Monterey, California
Posts: 5,667

I Ride: 2014 Kawasaki ZX-6R, 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300
Garage
All balls kit #18-3145
Duc995 likes this.

JL99
jd41 is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 08-21-2018, 01:04 PM
Superbike Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkolbasovsky View Post
Thanks, I was hoping for a quality complete kit if possible. OEM is a bit pricey.
Pricey...true. But we are talking about a critical component that needs to function flawlessly.

I went OEM, but Iíll be curious what you eventually find myself!
Duc995 is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 08-23-2018, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Squid
 
dkolbasovsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 29

I Ride: 2003 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd41 View Post
All balls kit #18-3145
This looks like it will do the trick! Have you used it?
dkolbasovsky is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 08-23-2018, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Squid
 
dkolbasovsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 29

I Ride: 2003 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc995 View Post
Pricey...true. But we are talking about a critical component that needs to function flawlessly.

I went OEM, but Iíll be curious what you eventually find myself!
Can I ask what you paid to do it this way? Looking at Partzilla the OEM parts will be $134+ per caliper. I'd be looking at $400 CDN for the pair.
dkolbasovsky is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 08-23-2018, 08:09 AM
Post Master General
 
jd41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Monterey, California
Posts: 5,667

I Ride: 2014 Kawasaki ZX-6R, 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkolbasovsky View Post
This looks like it will do the trick! Have you used it?
I've only used their steering stem bearings and MC rebuild kits. No problems so far. Make sure you use red rubber grease or Syl-Glide Silicone Brake Lubricant.

A few tips to keep in mind while rebuilding brake calipers.

JL99
jd41 is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 08-23-2018, 08:29 AM
Superbike Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd41 View Post
I've only used their steering stem bearings and MC rebuild kits. No problems so far. Make sure you use red rubber grease or Syl-Glide Silicone Brake Lubricant.

A few tips to keep in mind while rebuilding brake calipers.
Iíve always been told to use only brake fluid to lubricate brake seals. The grease products will contaminate the brake fluid, and attract dirt.
Duc995 is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 08-23-2018, 08:38 AM
Superbike Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkolbasovsky View Post
Can I ask what you paid to do it this way? Looking at Partzilla the OEM parts will be $134+ per caliper. I'd be looking at $400 CDN for the pair.
On Bikebandit.com I spent $117.70 US for the 8 seals, 8 dust seals, and two caliper-half joining seals; enough to replace the rubber components of both front brake calipers.
Duc995 is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 08-23-2018, 08:45 AM
Post Master General
 
jd41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Monterey, California
Posts: 5,667

I Ride: 2014 Kawasaki ZX-6R, 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc995 View Post
Iíve always been told to use only brake fluid to lubricate brake seals. The grease products will contaminate the brake fluid, and attract dirt.
I use it on the rubber seals only for assembly. I've used it once on the caliper pistons and it was a mess, so I agree with you on that. It's safe to use with brake fluid. Brembo includes a pack with its rebuild kits.

JL99
jd41 is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 08-23-2018, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Squid
 
dkolbasovsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 29

I Ride: 2003 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc995 View Post
On Bikebandit.com I spent $117.70 US for the 8 seals, 8 dust seals, and two caliper-half joining seals; enough to replace the rubber components of both front brake calipers.
Thanks!
dkolbasovsky is offline  
Reply

  ZX6R Forum > ZX6R Forum > Mechanical and Technical

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kit parts creeper6 Racing 0 08-14-2018 09:36 AM
Caliper Rebuild tomoney Mechanical and Technical 6 10-11-2011 02:44 PM
05/06 fork rebuild kit???? luke174 The ZX6R 1 11-05-2010 08:56 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome