Alpinestars Tech-Air Suits - ZX6R Forum
 14Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 Old 02-04-2019, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Track Star
 
gustaveberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Elizabethtown, PA
Posts: 500

I Ride: 2013 ZX6R
Alpinestars Tech-Air Suits

Anyone running the tech-air system yet? Anyone plan on getting one in the near future? Trying to decide if I should go with a suit that is capable of using tech-air system in the future.

I was at Revzilla over the weekend and tried on the GP Pro suit, fit really well in a size 56 with room for the back protector or the tech-air unit. Suit has most the features you could want on a suit and has really good reviews from what I can find, it also has the ability to accept the tech-air system. The tech-air system is another $1100 on top of the suit, so it's not something I would buy this year, or maybe ever...not sure.

The other suit from them I'm really interested in is the Atem V3. It's essentially the GP-Tech V2 (top of their line) minus a few small features, but the biggest difference is it does not accept the tech-air system. Over the GP Pro the Atem has several upgrades, mostly in the impact areas like shoulders, knees, and hips. The actual suit itself is also fully CE certified vs. most suits just use CE certified material/armor.

The Atem and GP Pro are exactly the same price, so really the trade off comes with Atem you get more armor/slide protection, with GP-Pro you can upgrade to the air bag at a later date.

Any input from anyone who's used the new tech-air system or has researched them extensively would be appreciated!

https://www.alpinestars.com/products/road/suits/gp-pro-leather-suit-tech-air-airbag-compatible-fa18

https://www.alpinestars.com/products...ther-suit-fa18
gustaveberg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 45 Old 02-04-2019, 08:05 AM
Director of Moderation
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,064

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
I almost got a GP Pro from a guy in Canada selling one cheap. However it was a size 50US/60EU and apparently that size is not compatible with the Tech-Air system. All the other sizes smaller than that are compatible, but not 60EU or above. I'm afraid to get a 58 because I don't think I'd fit well in it. I'm not built like a pro athlete unfortunately. Going by the Alpinestars measurement chart, I'm all over the place. For legs and arms I could fit in a 54 or 56, for chest I could fit in a 58, but lower torso/belly area I'd need like a 62 lol Also I'm not sure if in those charts they account for back protector space.

The MX-1 suit I've been using for years is a 56EU but it was pretty damn tight at first and then I had it enlarged a bit in the torso, so it's probably more like a 58 now, and I can only fit the thinner back protector that came with the suit. I have a brand new thicker back protector that I can't use because it won't fit. I just don't get why they made the new suits only be compatible with the Tech-Air systems up to a certain size. Why can't they make all sizes be compatible?

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (sold)
2009 ZX6R (parted out across North America)
2015 R3 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400 (race bike)
2013 RSV4 (race bike)

April 2016 and April 2017 6OTM winner!
sbk1198 is online now  
post #3 of 45 Old 02-04-2019, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Track Star
 
gustaveberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Elizabethtown, PA
Posts: 500

I Ride: 2013 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
I almost got a GP Pro from a guy in Canada selling one cheap. However it was a size 50US/60EU and apparently that size is not compatible with the Tech-Air system. All the other sizes smaller than that are compatible, but not 60EU or above. I'm afraid to get a 58 because I don't think I'd fit well in it. I'm not built like a pro athlete unfortunately. Going by the Alpinestars measurement chart, I'm all over the place. For legs and arms I could fit in a 54 or 56, for chest I could fit in a 58, but lower torso/belly area I'd need like a 62 lol Also I'm not sure if in those charts they account for back protector space.

The MX-1 suit I've been using for years is a 56EU but it was pretty damn tight at first and then I had it enlarged a bit in the torso, so it's probably more like a 58 now, and I can only fit the thinner back protector that came with the suit. I have a brand new thicker back protector that I can't use because it won't fit. I just don't get why they made the new suits only be compatible with the Tech-Air systems up to a certain size. Why can't they make all sizes be compatible?
I hear ya on the size thing, chest for me is 56 but mid section I could go 52-54 then hips and thighs I need to go back up to 56. I did get a size 54 on, but with a back protector in I seriously think I had trouble breathing. I tried on the new Rev'It Spitfire in a 54 and it fit really well, except the arms were made for orangutans.

I did not know the tech-air size only went up to a certain size...have you checked that recently? Just looking at their website it says they have a size 64 euro which would be like a triple xl.
gustaveberg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 45 Old 02-04-2019, 01:07 PM
Director of Moderation
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,064

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustaveberg View Post
I hear ya on the size thing, chest for me is 56 but mid section I could go 52-54 then hips and thighs I need to go back up to 56. I did get a size 54 on, but with a back protector in I seriously think I had trouble breathing. I tried on the new Rev'It Spitfire in a 54 and it fit really well, except the arms were made for orangutans.

I did not know the tech-air size only went up to a certain size...have you checked that recently? Just looking at their website it says they have a size 64 euro which would be like a triple xl.
Yeah I looked into it about 2 weeks ago. If you go to Revzilla or STG, they both have a note about that somewhere in the description or the specs, and I believe Brian Van or the Revzilla guy even mentioned that in the review video.
gustaveberg likes this.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (sold)
2009 ZX6R (parted out across North America)
2015 R3 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400 (race bike)
2013 RSV4 (race bike)

April 2016 and April 2017 6OTM winner!
sbk1198 is online now  
post #5 of 45 Old 02-04-2019, 01:53 PM
Superbike Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 983
I thinking about it .... just concerned with durability (my Vanson leathers are built like a tank! And weigh about as much too!) - iíve crashed in them half a dozen times over the last ten years without needing them repaired. Also donít know how much I would like the single zipper: ďOld guysĒ like me appreciate the double zipper on my Vanson for anything from making it easier to get in an out of with sore shoulders, to easier to take a pee in ... to easier to cool off without taking the suit off!

I have a feeling that the new suits would feel like iím wearing almost nothing compared to my old suit of armor! That would be nice...

Alpinestars Tech-Air Race Airbag System | 13x Forums
Duc995 is online now  
post #6 of 45 Old 02-04-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Track Star
 
gustaveberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Elizabethtown, PA
Posts: 500

I Ride: 2013 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc995 View Post
I thinking about it .... just concerned with durability (my Vanson leathers are built like a tank! And weigh about as much too!) - iíve crashed in them half a dozen times over the last ten years without needing them repaired. Also donít know how much I would like the single zipper: ďOld guysĒ like me appreciate the double zipper on my Vanson for anything from making it easier to get in an out of with sore shoulders, to easier to take a pee in ... to easier to cool off without taking the suit off!

I have a feeling that the new suits would feel like iím wearing almost nothing compared to my old suit of armor! That would be nice...

Alpinestars Tech-Air Race Airbag System | 13x Forums
What a coincidence, I'm actually coming from a Vanson as well...love the double zipper! I got it from a friend who was getting out of racing/track days. I wore it for two seasons and it has served me well, I had one low side and I got rear ended in it one time, it also had been through several crashes before me. I cannot believe how much it weighs compared to the new suits. Trying on the Astars and moving around on the bike they had in the shop was much different. The stretch panels and materials in the new suits go much further then what the Vanson has, it really helps you get around on the bike and let the suit move with you.
Evangelos K likes this.
gustaveberg is offline  
post #7 of 45 Old 02-04-2019, 05:30 PM
Superbike Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustaveberg View Post
... Trying on the Astars and moving around on the bike they had in the shop was much different. The stretch panels and materials in the new suits go much further then what the Vanson has, it really helps you get around on the bike and let the suit move with you.
Thatís what I was imagining/hoping! Itís going to take it feeling incredible to get over the perks I already mentioned. Iím also wondering about the air flow as the A-stars - even while perforated - donít look anywhere near the perforation my Vanson has!
Duc995 is online now  
post #8 of 45 Old 02-04-2019, 07:11 PM
Director of Moderation
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,064

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
For what it's worth, I know a couple of guys that used Vanson suits for many years, built like tanks as Duc995 said, and they lasted them for well over 10 years and multiple crashes. They switched to the modern Alpinestars suits (not sure if GP Pro or GP-Tech) along with the Tech-Air systems and they LOVE the suits. However they came at a pretty high price, one that I simply can't afford. One of them is a dealer for Alpinestarts and I think he still paid over $3000 for his suit, but it was custom made and has the Tech-Air system.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (sold)
2009 ZX6R (parted out across North America)
2015 R3 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400 (race bike)
2013 RSV4 (race bike)

April 2016 and April 2017 6OTM winner!
sbk1198 is online now  
post #9 of 45 Old 02-05-2019, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Track Star
 
gustaveberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Elizabethtown, PA
Posts: 500

I Ride: 2013 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc995 View Post
Thatís what I was imagining/hoping! Itís going to take it feeling incredible to get over the perks I already mentioned. Iím also wondering about the air flow as the A-stars - even while perforated - donít look anywhere near the perforation my Vanson has!
The GP-Pro I had on definitely did not have as much perf on the front of the suit as the Vanson I have now, but it did have a lot more ventilation on the back side to flow more air. Also had vents and perf behind elbows, knees, race hump, and a few other unique places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
For what it's worth, I know a couple of guys that used Vanson suits for many years, built like tanks as Duc995 said, and they lasted them for well over 10 years and multiple crashes. They switched to the modern Alpinestars suits (not sure if GP Pro or GP-Tech) along with the Tech-Air systems and they LOVE the suits. However they came at a pretty high price, one that I simply can't afford. One of them is a dealer for Alpinestarts and I think he still paid over $3000 for his suit, but it was custom made and has the Tech-Air system.
I could probably get more out of the Vanson I have, but I only paid a couple hundred for it and there is a tear on the side and the knee that need repaired before this season, chances are it would cost as much as I paid for the suit lol
$3000 is a lot more than I have saved up for a suit, pretty good deal if he got a custom Astars with Tech-air for $3kish honestly.
gustaveberg is offline  
post #10 of 45 Old 02-05-2019, 11:52 AM
Director of Moderation
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,064

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustaveberg View Post

I could probably get more out of the Vanson I have, but I only paid a couple hundred for it and there is a tear on the side and the knee that need repaired before this season, chances are it would cost as much as I paid for the suit lol
$3000 is a lot more than I have saved up for a suit, pretty good deal if he got a custom Astars with Tech-air for $3kish honestly.
Yeah he's a dealer, and I don't know exactly how much it was, just that it was over $3k. I think retail would be closer to $5k for a custom one with Tech-Air system. The Tech-Air alone is like $1100-1200 which is crazy! As much as I'd like to have all of that, I can't afford to spend my whole racing budget for a year on a suit. I'm looking at getting a custom Plus or Heroic or Syed or one of the several other brands that do custom suits at a more affordable price. About $1200 will probably be my absolute limit. The Alpinestars MX-1 I have now I got on clearance for $750 7 years ago. Then I spent about $200 to have it enlarged a bit, fix a zipper on the arm that broke in a crash plus add my name on the back in leather letters.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (sold)
2009 ZX6R (parted out across North America)
2015 R3 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400 (race bike)
2013 RSV4 (race bike)

April 2016 and April 2017 6OTM winner!
sbk1198 is online now  
post #11 of 45 Old 02-06-2019, 06:09 PM
Post Master General
 
riverszzr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Frozen hell of the north
Posts: 6,796

I Ride: 97k '07 ZZR600, 2014 Ninja 300, 37k 89 FZR400 racebike, 56k 06 ZX6R track only, 21k 97 ZX6R F model
Garage
I have been contemplating the tech air system for a couple years now.... ( my 8 broken ribs and broken collarbone was easily avoidable with the tech air system)



I tried on a few at the IMS and the off the rack suits tey had, If I wear the tech air in the suit I need 1 full size larger than the same suit without the airbag suit inside.... ( and yes the A* suits of today feel great and light and allow lots of movement on the bike........ I still feel like my Z custom leathers I wore for some 20 years were built like tanks and made to crash as often as one desired without the leather or seems giving way, but modern day armour and placement is much better than anything made in the early 90's)
So I guess you would have to commit that you are always going to wear the airbag suit inside your suit when you buy, or the suit would be too small with it or too big without it Too bad so sad when you need to send in the airbag suit to get serviced.....


I am still in that......... I want it, and really I "need" it, but man......


like others have noted- if I go by the sizing charts and I am anywhere from a 40 to a 50 depending on which area you want to measure.....
Funny thing is, my 12 year old AGVSport 2 pc suit is a 42 and fits looser than my 5 years old AGVSport 1 pc suit in a size 46 or the A* that I have worn only twice is a 58 and I can niether get the shoulders on nor off without help on the A*

One of the other things for me........ I want some perforation but not tons and tons- it doesn't routinely get that hot in MN and I want to be able to wear the suit in spring and fall when often I leave the house in the 20's, 30's or 40's.. (or have a liner- then the whole size things goes askew yet again)....... It is rare we see more than a few days in the 90's and rarer still that I ride on those days..... but seems everytime I go to AR it ends up being 100*+

I am contemplating just having one of the several companies that will custom build me a suit that will incorporate the A* airbag suit inside......... it is mostly just stretch panels so the suit can stretch when the airbag deploys....... but then again I want the A* airbag system and to go to them to get measured.........
But the $250 re-charge fee and shipping to from is a down side for sure.......... Sure you can get 2 inflates out of it before you have to send it in, but the sending it in with only one suit means a bunch of time without it........ definitely a strike against!!

There are some other airbag options, but all of them have upsides and downsides...figuring which is best for you is a predicament..... especially when you want to wear it street and track.

Sadly like many- I don't want to spend a few grand and find out after using it several times it is not what I really want......... I ahve an entire closet of old suits and jacket/pant combos that I felt weren't good purchases or simply did not fit once purchased (and bought based on the sizing charts)- or after simply gaining 12 lbs they then don't fit for shit.......

No words of advice for anyone from me on this one.......good luck and happy hunting for what you desire........
Gawernator likes this.

woohoo we are having fun now
Stupid people say stupid things on the internet, so be wary of who those people are. If you solicit advice on the internet, just keep in mind 99% of what you'll receive is not based on fact or science-and likely atleast 95% of it is based on bullshit and bravado regurgitated from some other schlub who also did not experience any of what they claim and are also full of shit. If you don't like my bluntness- too bad. I am not here to please you, so move along, your approval is not desired nor is it needed. So before opening your pie hole and adding more stupidity, perhaps sit back, listen, absorb and learn something. You know that saying, it is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!
riverszzr is offline  
post #12 of 45 Old 02-07-2019, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Track Star
 
gustaveberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Elizabethtown, PA
Posts: 500

I Ride: 2013 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverszzr View Post
I have been contemplating the tech air system for a couple years now.... ( my 8 broken ribs and broken collarbone was easily avoidable with the tech air system)

......... Sure you can get 2 inflates out of it before you have to send it in, but the sending it in with only one suit means a bunch of time without it........ definitely a strike against!!

There are some other airbag options, but all of them have upsides and downsides...figuring which is best for you is a predicament..... especially when you want to wear it street and track.

Sadly like many- I don't want to spend a few grand and find out after using it several times it is not what I really want.........

No words of advice for anyone from me on this one.......good luck and happy hunting for what you desire........
Eight broken ribs and a collarbone...those are the stories that make me think I should go for the air system!

Ya, I'd say the killer with all of the in-suit systems at this point is having to send it in for recharge. I think the Dainese system is even more expensive and time consuming to get recharged. I do see a lot of people using the over suit vests, which are like half the price....but I'd like to see some actual data between the two styles.

At this point I think I'm leaning more towards picking up the Atem suit, but I plan on going back to try both on again when they have both in stock. I think it's really going to just come down to comfort and which suit I'll feel better in, I think the Atem is even a little more racefit than the GP pro, so that might nix that option....we shall see I guess
gustaveberg is offline  
post #13 of 45 Old 02-07-2019, 05:43 AM
Post Master General
 
capitalcrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Albany NY
Posts: 5,839

I Ride: 2016 gsxr 750, 2007 zx6r
All of the instructors at NYST use the over suit vests. I have heard good things about them from guys that have crashed in them but I don't know any specifics unfortunately. I've been considering one for this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laggy311 View Post
You should try a butthole scanner. I heard everyone has a different starfish like a thumbprint! Just put your asshole to your phone. Its already in position since you spew shit all over it on to this forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellonearth View Post
I don't always scroll right past a post, but when I do, it's usually a half page from rivers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpi0 View Post
Badger is probably getting his fap on to all you guys' pics. With his left hand, because hes a hardcore liberal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laggy311 View Post
No one smashes my shit-pussy. Iím on top.
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcrew
Need moar dicks in muh facehole!!!!!
capitalcrew is offline  
post #14 of 45 Old 02-07-2019, 07:53 AM
Squid
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 2
one thing to keep in mind, if you have a fall and break a bone, can you still work? do you have sick days you can use? i had my first fall on track oct 1 and broke my collar bone into 5 pieces and fractured my ankle. 1 surgery, 1 big plate, and 7 screws later, the collar bone is back together but the 8 weeks off for it to heal up would have been an issue without sickdays at work. just another thing to think about... might be enough to be proactive and get into an airbag suit...

-b

A* Tech Air on order from my local shop
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	YEQB4941[1].JPG
Views:	19
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	92564  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_E3657[1].JPG
Views:	17
Size:	1,013.1 KB
ID:	92566  

riverszzr likes this.

Last edited by Brian_J; 02-07-2019 at 07:56 AM.
Brian_J is offline  
post #15 of 45 Old 02-07-2019, 05:58 PM
Squid
 
Joker81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 17
I just totaled my 17’ zx-6R on jan 9th this yr. Guy that caused it didnt stop...needless say is il be getting it buy time i get my 19’ ZX-6R!! Its been a month later and i cant hardly use my right arm still cause damage from wreck. Dr said nothing was broken but i had severe contusions to my right leg and shoulder plus damage to rotor cuff. Said no torn tendons or ligaments but i dont believe him being month later and cant hardly raise it, have no strength in it, bad as its still hurting, cant sleep so im going in AM for different opinion. Fortunatey my ins has filed it as uninsured motorist and payinv my dr bills, pain n suffering plus lost wages being out work a month now possibly longer!! My advice to any rider out there is its a sensible buy yes its EXPENSIVE!! But how much is your life worth to you?!!? Mine is priceless being i have 2 sons( 11&7) i want to be here to watch them grow into men and have their own famalies!!( God lord willing). Okay sorry guys for such long post
jd41 likes this.
Joker81 is offline  
Reply

  ZX6R Forum > ZX6R Forum > Gear

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alpinestars AYC Andr345 Motorcycle Talk 7 01-02-2012 10:39 AM
Alpinestars tech 7 boot Kuchtaaa The ZX6R 2 08-10-2011 11:00 PM
PC III Map??? Ziggyboo84 The ZX6R 13 03-12-2009 12:34 PM
Monster energy sponsers tech 3 dlj3499af Motorcycle Talk 2 03-05-2009 01:12 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome